Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 October 2005
I agree that this is the definitive recording. Doyly Carte at their very best. I like the quaint dialogue and I think its integral to the performance and fixes the piece in its very Victorian place. For me the high point is Valerie Masterson's brilliant "Poor wand'ring one" - absolute perfection!
on 18 March 2005
I've owned this recording on vinyl for 30 years & recently acquired it on cd.
G+S can be performed in many ways & the D'Oyly Carte recordings often fall short of the perfection which they ought to achieve - but not in this case. In my opinion, this is the finest D'Oyly Carte performance ever recorded - your chance to hear them at their very best.
Every role is brilliantly performed & (as usual) the chorus is first class. It's almost unfair to elevate any one of them - but I particularly like Philip Potter as Frederic. He is the romantic lead (which could so easily be a bore) but he perfectly captures Frederic as naive & gullible - which is so much part of Gilbert's humour - pricking the bubble of honour & duty. Also, the way the chorus imitate Owen Brannigan's vocal inflection in "When a Felon's not engaged.." (ie "A Policeman's lot").
The dialogue is terrific & we are privileged to have a complete a performance on disc of this calibre. I can see that many people will be irritated by its presence. I myself have taken a copy, leaving out the dialogue, for when I don't want to listen too intently.
on 8 January 2004
This set includes the dialogue, which is helpful for keeping track but palls with repeated hearing. The section which relates to a misunderstanding about the words 'orphan' and 'often' is much too laboured for today's audiences and could have been omitted without loss of continuity. However, the cast do the very best that they can with it. The musical side is a total treat and of course Owen Brannigan steals the show as the Sergeant of Police but as he is also in the Sargent version, which is one of this conductor's best sets and--I think--omits the dialogue, it might pay to search this out.
on 27 October 2014
I belong to two local Gilbert & Sullivan Societies although a relative novice with only 5 productions done. When I start rehearsing for a new production I always buy a CD to familiarise myself with the music etc. I am really happy with this recording. The principals, choruses orchestration are all excellent.
on 12 March 2015
Great CD, lovely sound quality, used it to learn the opera for G&S society I joined. I agree with another review the dialogue starts to grate when you have played it over and over to learn the songs.
on 10 December 2008
What a lovely change to have a recording with the dialogue. This is the recording I grew up with, on vinyl, and it's nice to have my own copy on cd. All the singers on here are excellent, but the recording is worth buying just for Valerie Masterson's Mabel - a definitive performance of the role.
on 27 April 2009
You expect the d'oyly carte to get it right and they certainly do with this production. The inclusion of the dialogue was a bonus as I far as I was concerned and added to the overall enjoyment. Our Operatic Society is doing 'Pirates' next year and this recording will certainly help me get a handle on the thing.
on 24 December 2015
Musically this is probably the definitive recording of 'Pirates'. Sullivan's gift for orchestration is superbly realised, and Valerie Masterson is the best ever Mabel; her top E flat at the end of 'Poor Wand'ring One' is a joy. Owen Brannigan was always top class as the Sergeant of Police and is in his best form here. All in all, a triumph.
on 10 June 2013
I have always enjoyed G&S and this is the best I have heard. I have recently seen Pirates live by Scottish Opera at the Theater Royal in Glasgow this was a triumph and their tour of UK is must. This is a wonderful reminder of a wonderful experience.
on 23 October 2011
Ordered this as a present for someone who has been in her local G+S society for many years. They are currently in the middle of rehearsals for their latest production. She absolutely loves it, as it contains the complete dialogue between songs etc. She said it has been invaluable to her and is helping with her preparations for the opening of the show.