4.0 out of 5 stars I don't understand what they mean!
Published on 5 Jan. 2012 by F. Wallon

3.0 out of 5 stars I can do anything better than you.
No you can't.
Yep Bruce is really down on his luck, and we are reminded of that old saying," never hit a man when he is down, Kick him it is easer."

Published on 17 Dec. 2004 by bernie

4.0 out of 5 stars I don't understand what they mean!, 5 Jan. 2012
F. Wallon (Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bruce Almighty [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the video quality of this blu ray release - sure, it's not the sharpest one out there, but it's not unwatchable because of its quality, and it's way ahead of the DVD version. I was rather put off when I read the reviews about how bad the quality was, but I'm glad I bought the movie anyways. This is a great movie and if you don't already have it (or like me, wants to upgrade from DVD), get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny but with a serious undertone, 11 Dec. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Bruce Almighty [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Lynn and Chris from Burnley: This film is very funny, Jim Carrey at his best. He has the day from hell and blames God, so gets the chance to be God to see if he can do any better. Of course the novelty of having God's powers soon wears off and he realises how big a job it really is and how people's lives can be changed in a moment. Very funny, but with a serious undertone.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Goood, 27 Nov. 2011
James S. R. Wilson "I'm seen when I need to b... (uppingham, rutland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bruce Almighty [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I've always loved the movies Jim has been in as they are always funny due to his great skill for comady & jokes and I think this one is one of his best yet.

Given the job of being god for a short time Bruce decides to make his life good for himself, from changeing his car into a sports car to makeing his job to find storys easyer. But one thing he must not forget is there are others out there who also need help but will he remember that ?

"Parting a soup now thats just a magic trick but a 24 year old single mother who has 2 kids and a low cash income but yet still manages to survive everyday now thats a miricale" - (God) Bruce Almighty

A very funny movie with great jokes and so much fun to watch too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Being God can be Hell., 11 Aug. 2014
Spike Owen "John Rouse Merriott Chard" (Birmingham, England.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bruce Almighty [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Fans of Jim Carrey can't go wrong with this fun filled picture that's not without serious undertones as well.

The Premise is flimsy as such, Carrey plays Nolan, a harried and fed up TV reporter who feels that all of his problems are God's fault. Having enough of his whingeing, God (Morgan Freeman) summons Nolan to his "residence" and bestows all his powers to him. This is where the film hits its stride, the makers letting Carrey loose for a number of funny sequences as he plays God to further his own ends.

It goes where you expect it to, and nobody else gets a look in as Carrey does his stuff, but the journey is a most pleasant one. 7/10

5.0 out of 5 stars very witty, 7 Jan. 2004
gordon young (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I saw this film many times, it is very witty and clever. Once you see this film you will want to watch it again and again, without it losing its humour. The extras aren't great but the film is brilliant and very clever with its humour.

4.0 out of 5 stars "I am Bruce Almighty. My will be done.", 15 Jan. 2009
Andrew Kerr (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bruce Almighty [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Bruce Almighty is a comedy that was released in 2003 and was directed by Tom Shadyac. The cast comprises of Jim Carrey, Morgan Freeman, Philip Baker Hall, and Jennifer Aniston.

Local TV reporter Bruce Nolan (Carrey) is having a rough time. Nothing seems to be going right for him, and after the worst day of his life, he becomes outraged and starts to blame God for ruining his life. He even stands in the middle of the road and shouts "Smite me oh mighty smighter." Shortly after this, he finds himself face to face with his creator (Freeman), who hasn't liked all of Bruce's complaining, so decides to endow Bruce with all of his powers for one week, to see if Bruce can do a better job than him. Bruce initially doesn't believe it and simply thinks that the man he saw was insane, but soon comes to release that's it true, and sets about to have some fun. But when things start to get serious he is unprepared, and this leads to some strange but funny situations.

The plot to Bruce Almighty is simple, but fun and entertaining. The film is very comical in places, and it's easy to watch. It's also quite sad at times, and has a deeper meaning about the value of life, and how the world does not evolve around one person. We've all had bad days, so I think there is something we can all relate to in the film.

Two of my favourite scenes that come to mind are when some thugs (who had earlier beaten up Bruce) get their comeuppance. And when Bruce sabotages Evan's (a rival reporter) performance on air.

The characters in the film are great, very believable and easy to identify with. The acting from the main cast is fantastic. Jim Carrey as allows is in good form and Morgan Freeman seems really suited to play the somewhat serious role of God.

There are some decent special features included on the DVD, most noticeably outtakes and delete scenes, which are worth a watch.

The beginning of the film is a bit slow, but things seriously pick up once Bruce becomes Almighty. It's not the most serious of films and as long as you don't engage your brain too much, then you can enjoy Bruce Almighty.

I've you not a fan of Jim Carrey, then I do suggest you avoid this film, other than that give Bruce Almighty a watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wishful Fantasy just made for Carrey & Morgan, 7 Dec. 2012
Tim Kidner "Hucklebrook Hound" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bruce Almighty [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
This neat idea works on many levels and if like me, you haven't always enjoyed Carrey's OTT mugging and frankly annoying persona at times, it just works better here.

We all know the structure to this, where Bruce (Carrey) is given God's powers, by God, a regal white-suited black man, Morgan Freeman, giving the Lord an accessible and friendly, even 'human' persona. Once he has these, Bruce breezily sets about getting what most of us men would be tempted by, bigger breasts for his fiance (Jennifer Aniston), a new stylish wardrobe and many other slightly dubious wishfuls, pushing the boundaries of taste, but, in my view, not over-extending them, the certificate 12 pointing at this.

Revenge to street punks after they laugh and mock his wish for a peaceful world is wreaked in imaginative and witty ways, done with good SFX. Some fairly obvious musical links could mar (Barry White when Bruce pulls the full moon closer, when he intends an ultra-romantic night with Aniston) but generally these are fun and don't outstay their welcome.

However, when Bruce kind of uses his powers for his own uses and gets his old job back and things go swimmingly but as backlashes and repercussions from his spontaneous 'miracles' backfire and he loses the love of his fiance, his powers disappear. The film obviously intends this to have a moral resonance but the light-hearted nature of the comedy obviously dilutes this and some might miss it altogether, whilst the religious will suitably feel that some justice has been done.

It does get rather mushy and a bit sickly as Bruce finds that Grace, his fiance has been praying to the real God (God has an extremely popular and busy email address for prayers that Bruce has access to, another nifty idea!) that her Bruce can find the errors of his ways etc etc. Get over this rather icky patch and you'll bask in the afterglow as the film concludes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely funny, why wouldn't it be...it's Jim Carrey!, 8 Sept. 2011
A. Donald - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bruce Almighty [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I can't think of a better actor for the role of Bruce in this film. Jim Carrey is in loads of hilarious films (eg. Liar Liar, The Grinch, Fun with Dick and Jane, Ace Venture etc.) Extremely funny from start to finish, not one joke wasn't funny. I could name hundreds of funny moments in this, I'm not going to (it'll spoil it for others and most of them involves swearing.) Also great to see the amazing Jennifer Aniston from the greatest TV show ever FRIENDS. Morgan Freeman plays God, the Almighty, he is very funny in this, too. I can't believe how frequant the comedy is in this, I have seen this at least ten times now, it never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever gets boring. You know Jim Carrey, the man for pulling funny faces, doing squeaky and high voices, he doesn't really do those as much in here than Ace Ventura or Liar Liar, but that does not, repeat NOT make this less entertaining.

I think the best thing about this film, it's so many differant catergories. There's plenty of Comedy, Romance and a slight wave of emotion towards the end. Loads of slapstick in there too, mostly as usual by Jim Carrey, no way could anyone play the role of Bruce as well as Jim. I think if anyone else had played his role the film wouldn't have been as entertaining, I mean I can't picture any other actor playing his role or Jennifer Aniston's role or Morgan Freeman's role. Overall this is defineately in my top ten comedies maybe even top five. Also up there in my favourite films ever, now considering it sounds like this is my favourite film ever, you have no idea how good that is compared to all the films that I have seen. No doubt this is 10/10 or 5/5!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Feel Good Factor - B E A UUUUTIFUL!, 7 Nov. 2010
IanRW - MK (Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bruce Almighty [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Like a few of the reviewers of this film, I must confess, I never have been a fan or particularly keen on films starring Jim Carrey. However, in this particular instance, I am more than happy to make this the exception to the rule and to give credit where credit is due, Jim Carrey's inimitable, zany, OTT style is exactly what makes this film eminently watchable. Personally, I think JC's performance and portrayal of the character Bruce Nolan is superb, quite exceptional and outstanding - he simply excels. The character is played with such enthusiasm and zest, you cannot but help become quickly immersed and absorbed in the storyline, no matter how "outlandish", at first, it may appear.

Underpinning the wonderful humour and amazing visual comedy is a nice, touching and moral storyline. The film, like Jim Carrey's style, is fast-paced but gently slows during the more touching and thoughtful moments. This film cannot fail to amuse from the outset and by the end would [well it should] have uplifted and touched you on a few levels but do not want to disclose any of the content for fear of spoiling it for any other potential viewers.

This is a role where JC truly excels himself but this review would not be complete without acknowledging the supporting roles portrayed by Morgan Freeman, Jennifer Aniston certainly, in their respective roles, equal to that of Jim Carrey's performance and also, in his own way, Steve Carrell. I guess the moral of the story is that `the grass is not always greener on the other side', and what we consider important, is not necessarily the case but it is a real cool, best of fun, barrel of laughs, roller-coaster of a ride, learning that.

I could write at greater length but will refrain from doing so because, as stated previously, do not want to disclose any content to spoil it for anyone else considering watching. Laugh? It had been quite a while since I had so thoroughly enjoyed such natural, side-splitting, belly-aching, exuberant and frequent outbursts of laughter and mirth such as those experienced while watching `Bruce Almighty' and whenever I watch it again, it never fails to amuse, delight and uplift.

This film most definitely has the `Feel Good Factor', in bundles. . . .

Is this a good film - No, it's good, GOOD! Watch it you'll see. It is indeed, B E A UUUUUTIFUL!

As an afterthought having, now, watched this, maybe, just maybe, I will reconsider my opinion of Jim Carrey, give him the benefit of the doubt and might well watch some of his other movies.

3.0 out of 5 stars I can do anything better than you., 17 Dec. 2004
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
No you can't.

After assessing the situation he comes to the conclusion that his situation is the direct results of gross negligence on the part of his maker. He makes the monumental decision to express his thought. Naturally in the tradition of the "Oh God" movies, only this time Morgan Freeman is god, Bruce is challenged to see if he could do any better. This time instead of, "Death takes a Holiday" (1934), God takes his. Now that Bruce has a chance to be in charge. What changes will we see? Was Bruce's assessment of the situation correct or a tad jaded from the situation?

Of course this is a formula movie with the outcome determined before we start. Jim Carrey relies on his "Carrey faces" to carry the movie. These facial expressions were cute in "Once Bitten" (1985) but get a little long in the tooth by now. Jennifer Aniston, of "Office Space" (1999) fame, does an excellent supporting role.

Once Bitten

Bruce Almighty [DVD] [2003]
Bruce Almighty [DVD] [2003] by Tom Shadyac (DVD - 2003)