Format: DVD|Change

THE BEACH BOYS - THE LOST CONCERT is a nostalgic reminder of the Southern California of the 1960s, where the Pacific-washed edge of the place was populated with sun-tanned surfers and their girls, and the Beach Boys could be heard on every car radio and beach blanket transistor.
The DVD, only 22 minutes in length, has the group singing 9 of their songs, including "Fun, Fun, Fun", "Little Deuce Coupe", "Surfer Girl", "Surfin' USA", and "Shut Down". The performance on March 14, 1964 - before a live audience - was filmed by promoters to air on closed-circuit TV in theaters. The DVD seems to be a faithful reproduction of the original B&W film, though one gets the impression that the promoters were working on a limited budget. The teenage audience, the makeshift stage, and the overworked sound system suggests that the venue was a commandeered high school gym. And, as the camera pans the fans, I was left wondering, "Did we really look that geeky?" (I myself was a high school frosh at the time.)
Regardless of the unsophistication of the production, this DVD is a must see for Beach Boy fans of that long ago era when US pop-music performers could still be well-groomed, clean-cut, and heart-breakingly All-American, and their lyrics celebrated fast cars, bikini-clad girls, and catching the next monster wave.
Though I grew up in Malibu, the center of the SoCal beach culture, I was never a surfer myself. I would have been disowned by my Mom at least, to whom "surfer" conjured up visions of long-haired, lazy bums (only to be replaced in the 70s by "long-haired, drug-ridden hippies"). But, in that carefree period of my life, the sun shone, the ocean breezes swayed the palms, the waves caressed the beach off Point Dume, and the Beach Boys provided the background music. I miss those days. Truly.
on 24 April 2011
This DVD captures why the Beach Boys were one of the best live groups ever. Great songs, well rehearsed and immaculately delivered on stage by very good singers to a very appreciative audience. No frills, just a very professional set. A must for all pop music fans, let alone Beach Boys fans.
on 2 February 2013
Not the best DVD I have of the Beach Boys, but it has some good memories, for old Beach Boy Fans.
on 26 September 2015
It's definitely original, in the High School hall!
on 29 September 2015