5.0 out of 5 stars "I'm taking it back!... I'm taking them all back..."
Published on 24 Feb 2003 by Darryn

3.0 out of 5 stars not as good as the old stuff
i like the album, but it isnt the best way for the ataris to be remembered. Unlike the days of teenage riot this album makes u want to go be depressed. Not good to dance around and rock to but its a more mature approach to the punk-rock-emo industry. Perhaps sounding a bit too much like the band home grown rather than blink 182, which the band are often stereotype linked...
Published on 2 July 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars "I'm taking it back!... I'm taking them all back...", 24 Feb 2003
Darryn (Salisbury, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: So Long, Astoria (Audio CD)
It's easy to be dissapointed with the first listen of The*Ataris first major label release. It's no 'Blue Skies...', it's no 'End Is..', either. I think peoples expectations will influence their first impressions of this album. But after 5 or so listens, the tracks will slowly start to stand out from each other, each one becomming as memorable as the next. And that's one of the main themes of the album, memories.
"Life is only as good as the memories we make!"...
Kris belts out the start of the chorus with that line on the opening, title track. 'So Long, Astoria', the opening track is one of the first times I have ever had goosebumps listening to a song. It's packed super tight with emotion, after a few listens it explodes into a cacophony of super charged passion, you can hear it in Kris' voice, it gets better with every listen. I loved the not so obvious Goonies reference at the end of the song "I'm taking it back!... I'm taking them all back..." Genius, Kris.
'Takeoffs & Landings' goes back to the roots of the singalong Ataris song structures with the catchiest of hooks and awesome build ups, and the lead single 'In This Diary' which will probably, but hopefully not, be smeared accross MTV, is a pure power-punk-pop fest, with a super charged chorus' and another great sing-a-long hook, make this an instant Ataris classic.
'My Reply' is Kris' response to an Australian fan who wrote him a letter and a poem whilst laying in hospital with a life threatening illness. Live, this sounded great, and I feel they've done a good job with the amped up version, but I feel it could have been a little more emotional and effective with Kris strumming acousitcally, and singing. But still I think they did a good job. 'Unopened Letter To The World' is a trakc about the life and times of the poet Emily Dickenson, and about how artists get their work recognised and appreciated more posthumously, than when they were alive.
'The Saddest Song' is a piano driven ballad where Kris pours his heart out to his daughter, who unfortunately he doesn't get to spend much time with because of being in the band. This is one of Kris Roe's best lyrical pieces and one of the most touching and most touching songs I've ever heard. I can see how easily fans are able to cry whilst hearing this live, and the cries of "Please fooorgive me, I'm sooo sorry.. I will make it up to you..." towards the closure of the track fuels the emotional fire even more, and is truly a sad song.
Things get brighter however, with the next track, 'Summer '79', which has a trademark Ataris melody the whole way through, thouroughly hummable and catchier than a cold in a crowded room.
"The Hero Dies In This One" slows the speed but ups the ante, the guitars pound away during the chorus, and there's a really effective explosion sound just before the chorus which makes you wanna throw the nearest random object against the furthest wall, as Kris screams "Stay who you are!".
The Ataris have always been a very personal band in terms of lyrical content, and you may be happy to hear that 'So Long, Astoria' is probably the most personal album so far.

'Trying To Believe' is one of the brighter gems in the treasure chest, and believe me, all of these songs are pure gold. Another typical Ataris melody and a fantastic chorus and you'll be jumping around your room in no time. You may also be happy to hear Kris screaming his lungs out during the closure of the song, 'Ray...' stylee. Awesome. Let's go punch a wall.
Onto a song your parents will prolly remember, The Ataris shred to bits Don Henley's 'The Boys of Summer', with a phenomenal cover. This sounds like an original Ataris song, it's executed so well. An updated version of 'Radio #2' slightly differs from the original but overal, except for a minor change in lyrics (explosives replaced with guitar), but overall is better and carries the same hugely catchy melody.
'Looking Back On Today' was added by the Ataris after the fans demanded it, and so that's what they got. The song is a huge fan favourite and sounds unbelievable in it's new shiny form. Classic.
'Eight of Nine' closes the album and is a great way to finish off things.
Overall it's two thumbs up to Kris and the Santa Barbara boys, this surpasses the greatness of 'End Is Forever' and 'Anywhere But Here', and rivals the masterpiece that is 'Blue Skies...'.
You won't be dissapointed after you've given it enough time, I give you my word.
Kris is an amazingly nice guy and I was fortunate enough to meet him in London, and they thouroughly deserve everything good they get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it. Now., 23 April 2003
This review is from: So Long, Astoria (Audio CD)
I'm truly ashamed to say I hadn't heard of the Ataris until I found out about and purchased this album - and it converted me almost instantly. I'm not even a huge punk rock fan - my tastes lie closer to funk rock and hip hop, but this album has so much going for it that the Ataris have fast become one of my favorite bands. Each song is so incredibly deep, emotively, descriptively, poetically - for example the track 'my reply' is a reply to fan mail from a girl suffering with bolemia, telling her not to give up, and is pulled off with so much thought and dedication that it could relate to anyone going through hard times. 'saddest song' is also very moving - although the whole album consistently seems to have about ten times more effort and talent poured into it than any other punk band i have listened to in past years. the bonus tracks 'i won't spend another night alone' and 'saddest song (acoustic)' are also great additions, considering saddest song in particular is such an incredible track. i can't really stress how much of a brilliant album this is, and urge anyone, not just punk/emo fans, but anyone, to pick this one up.

5.0 out of 5 stars yes! yes! yes! yes! yes! maybe. yes! yes! yes!, 22 Jun 2003
This review is from: So Long, Astoria (Audio CD)
i included a maybe. why? because at first the album is big intimidating (technical term, go figure). the songs seem kind of same-y and you would be forgiven for being disheartened. but wait! give it some time and ... yes! it's there! that ataris magic that makes them the number 1 band ever (tm) is found! to be quite frank, wooooooooooo! all the tracks are good, but the best (in my opinion) are : so long, astoria (it's great!), my reply (mmm, i'm liking it over here!) and tracks 8 to the end in a great big lump (possibly excluding the acoustic saddest song, although thats good too) - they rock my socks, and other smalls.
*aside* the style of this may be slightly different to "blue skies, broken hearts ..." and "end is forever", but don't/do not let that put you off!! it's equally good (probably better than "end is forever", althought perhaps eeeeever so slightly worse than "blue skies, broken hearts ...") it's still ataris-y. but not. but then it is. but not. you get what i mean. anyway, buy the album now! 'cos it's very good! and the reworked i won't spend another night alone gets my vote for WORLDS BEST SONG IN THE HISTORY OF EVERYTHING EVER (r), 'cos its rather fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely superb, 13 Oct 2004
This review is from: So Long, Astoria (Audio CD)
I don't even know where to begin. I had never heard of the Ataris until I heard this album at a friend's barbeque. As soon as i heard the first track I knew I had been missing something extra special and went and bought it immediately. The Ataris have been my favourite band ever since.
The opening song and title track kick starts the album perfectly with its reminiscent and powerful "even if we don't succeed we will be better people for trying" message coupled with a soaring chorus and stunning vocals from lead singer Kris Roe.
This sets the standard very, very high for the rest of the tracks to follow, but the band manage to maintain this level of songwriting and recording (the album is also very well recorded) throughout.
This is unlike any other punk rock album (or any other genre for that matter) you have ever heard. If you can't find a song on here that you can relate to then you can't have done very much with your life.
If I have to find fault with this album then 16 TRACKS IS JUST NOT LONG ENOUGH!
If you like punk rock, emo, rock or anything related, just get this album. You WON'T regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillllllianto!, 3 Mar 2004
This review is from: So Long, Astoria (Audio CD)
What an excellent album! Brilliant lyrics, vocals and music. Kris Roe, what a guy!
My favourite tracks being "so long astoria", "looking back on today", "takeoff and landings", "in this diary" and "the saddest song" How about the entire album!!!
The lyrics are applicable to anyone and are excellently written however "the saddest song" is very personal to kris.
Go and buy it, you won't get bored of the ataris!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-buy CD, 3 Jan 2004
This review is from: So Long, Astoria (Audio CD)
I wanted this CD as soon as I heard their awesome cover of Don Henley's Boys Of Summer. I loved the original version deeply, which just shows how good this band are that they can do a rock version of it and not ruin it for me. It's fantastic, and so different to the original.
The rest of the album didn't disappoint - the Ataris are a rock band, but an intelligent one. Not only to they have the turn-the-stereo-up greatness musically, their lyrics show a depth that most other rock bands miss entirely. It's been said that this album was written after Kris Roe read a philosophical book that got him thinking, and it's clear that a hell of a lot of thinking has gone into these lyrics. The weakest they get is in the heartfelt apology to his daughter in The Saddest Song, and even there they deliver.

4.0 out of 5 stars SO long Astoria............................., 28 Oct 2003
This review is from: So Long, Astoria (Audio CD)
............. Hello another great album from Kris Roe, i must admit this is the album that has introduced me to the ataris, after seeing the video for in this diary(one of the stand out tracks for me) i decided to invest in this there current release, and thank god i did, a great album in its genre, i can listen to this pop/punk/emo allday! kris rows lyrics are at times breattaking(espically on tracks unopened letter to the world and hidden track i wont spend another night alone)the album feels like a journey through kris roe's life his love of his teenage years espically his summers as a teenager (summer 79, and the great cover boys of summer) in so long astoria a journey through kris row's early life is one you will want to take.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 Aug 2003
This review is from: So Long, Astoria (Audio CD)
This album is one of the most heartfelt in my collection. That's not to say it deserves you be listened to quietly in a dimly lit room, this ablum is supremely singable to, as is The Ataris' hallmark. I urge you to buy this, its simply brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1 of the best albums ever!, 18 Jun 2003
This review is from: So Long, Astoria (Audio CD)
WOW. Thats the one word that sums up "so Long Astoria" for me. Before I bought this album, I had only ever heard one song by the ataris. Now they are my favourite band. They are the perfect mixture of punk & emo. The only song I dont 100% love is "Boys of Summer" because cover songs dont really do it for me. My favourite tracks are "The Saddest Song", "My Reply" & "The Hero Dies In This One" because they all have a certain level of saddness I can really relate to. Buy this album, you wont regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 11 Mar 2003
This review is from: So Long, Astoria (Audio CD)
I got the same tingling feeling on the back of my neck when i first heard "blue skies...", which says something about this album. At first i was put off when i heard they were signed to Columbia, as i thought the album would be over produced. This however isn't the case. There's still the unmistakable "Ataris" sound to all of the songs and Kris Roe's superb song writing continues on this album in abundance. It's kind of hard to pick out any stand out tracks, as theyre all excellent, but "The saddest song" stands out, hearing this song played live would definitely bring tears to your eyes. I really do agree that this album rivals "Blue skies..." for lyrical content and musicianship, i can't say enough good things about it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

So Long Astoria
So Long Astoria by Ataris (Audio CD - 2003)