5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful send off to the greatest relationship series ever
Published on 20 Sep 2003 by W. Doyle

3.0 out of 5 stars Great programme, but the editing on the DVD spoils it
Published on 24 Aug 2003 by David Payne

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful send off to the greatest relationship series ever, 20 Sep 2003
W. Doyle (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cold Feet Series 5 [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
As an American, I have watched Cold Feet since it started showing up on our Bravo cable channel a few years ago. Getting sick of the unpredictable schedule they had for the show, my wife and I have collected each DVD as its become available. I must say, that calling CF a sitcom and comparing it to Friends seems so ridiculous now. It is far more than a sitcom. It is an incredibly accurate portrayal of grown-ups doing the things they do: the fun, the sad, the scary, the everything. The actors on this show are simply without equal in the genre (hey, will some US film director PLEASE bring them to a wider audience?).
As far as the show has gone, I thought series 3 was the funniest. But series 5 goes beyond comedy and reached something deep inside me, something only the late great American show "Once & Again" has ever done. The tragedy at the end of CF was so raw and unsettling it practically took my breath away. Nesbitt and Norris are astonishing in the last couple of episodes. Having just seen the final episode last night, I still have a lingering feeling of loss tempered with muted optimism that was probably the show's intent. Hard to believe these were just TV characters. Bravo to everyone who worked on this extraordinary program.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kick-To-The-Gut Good, 6 April 2003
Darren Lee (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cold Feet Series 5 [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
The Fifth & Final Season of the best thirty-something series ever. BBC2's 'This Life' was grand, but the ensemble for Cold Feet were all the stronger.
To the millions of fans who sat through these final six episodes in the UK: You should buy this DVD as a mark of respect for some of the finest writing (and performances) seen in recent years.
To the millions of fans across the Pond who think that 'SitComs' begin and end with Friends: Watch these final episodes (but first, buy Series 1-4!!) and you'll see that the UK has bravely taken the genre further than US Networks would *ever* allow.
Warning : You'd have to be made of stone not to have tears in your eyes for the last hours. Brave writing, brilliant performances. Absolutely perfect television.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing effeects you deeper..., 7 Feb 2005
Alex De Jonghe (plymouth,england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cold Feet Series 5 [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
Cold Feet really was the best comedy/drama ever seen on television.It seems a sweeping remark, but those who have watched it will agree.The defining moment of series 5 is nothing short of harrowing,and unrivalled in anything else i've seen.The show is still packed with jokes funnier than anything else on tv,and having got to know and love the characters over the 5 series,the tragedy feels particularly painful,sticking with you for some time.A dvd you can watch over and over again,not loaded with crappy extras,but 1st rate content from the best ever comedy/drama.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific cast, terrific writing, terrific directing, 18 Aug 2003
This review is from: Cold Feet Series 5 [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
It seems my sister and I are the only two who watched this series on American TV. I finally got to see the last two series on DVD. I think Mike Bullen is a genius. He blends tragedy and comedy seamlessly and breathes life into fictional characters that I now care about. The cast is superb. Robert Brathurst has the least sympathetic role but he never sinks into caricature; I think that is admirable. The story arc in series 5 is sad, but there's no exploitation of emotion. The poignancy of Hermione Norris's Karen, in particular, hit all the right notes. Jimmy Naisbitt is charm itself but he never panders.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great programme, but the editing on the DVD spoils it, 24 Aug 2003
This review is from: Cold Feet Series 5 [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
There's not much more I can say about the programme that hasn't already been said. It's always been fantastic. And series 5 is no exception. But I thought that since no-ones mentioned it I should point out that the episodes have been very bizarely edited. Originally there were four feature-length episodes in series 5, but some some reason that I can't imagine, they've been re-edited into six shorter episodes!
As if having different music on the DVD's wasn't enough, they've choped the ending from episode one, and the beginning from episode 2, and stuck them together to make another episode! So episodes one and two are now episodes 1,2 and 3! And the same with episodes three and four. This means that the "new" episodes 1,2,4 and 5 end in odd places (for example episode one ends abrubptly after Pete smokes a joint - a story that now appears to hang over into the next episode). In episode "five" we see Rachel's death (the shocking ending to episode 3 in reality) and go staright to the funeral! Of course the story of Adam's berevement started in the funeral is interrupted by the end credits!
I suppose it doesn't matter much if you want to watch all the episodes in one go (or at least if you watch episodes "1-3" and "4-6" together), but if you're fussy about this sort of thing, then you might want to hold out for a later DVD release!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cold Feet Series 5 - The last but best, 11 Mar 2003
This review is from: Cold Feet Series 5 [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
Cold Feet is known a lot as a British Friends sitcom which devalues it in some way to me. The programme is much more than canned studio laughter and designer sweaters. Series 5 if anything looks slicker and smoother in terms of production-craft and lighting than the others. The usual cold feet themes are tackled head on in this series; more than that, Bullen seems to indicate that a more cohesive lesson may yet be drawn by his viewers. At the outset of Series One, Jen and Pete seem to be the strongest couple whilst Rachel and Adam struggle with committment and infidelity.
The standard of the scriptwriting remains high and still fetched plenty of smiles from me even after all these years. The DVD has the usual easy access menu's though they have dispensed with the rather superfluous picture galleries we were treated to on the other series. There is a 20 minute documentary 'Backstage' which is quite amusing-if only for Jimmy Nesbitt's 1000 yard stare having been up most of the night. Even after recent newspaper stories, 5 years of familiarity with the characters and my own gathering maturity as a viewer I was still awed by the high quality of the series compared to its British and US competitors. After 4 series the task of keeping viewers hooked -to the same intensity and appreciation is awesome and Mike Bullen and the Cold Feet team made an extremely tidy job of it in 2002 -well worthy of 4 stars out of 5. It's a shame for ti to be the last, but it is undoubtly the best. 4 Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars More Than Fiction..., 11 July 2007
This review is from: Cold Feet Series 5 [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
It's so difficult as to know where to begin, when trying to sum up what Cold Feet has achieved, and what it means to me as a 'viewer'..or perhaps more poignantly, a voyeur. I was sucked in from the very first episode, the pilot setting the standard for the entire 5 series. Though never an avid TV viewer, this program grabbed me by the you know whats, forcing me to sit up and watch, become absorbed by the characters completely, and even grow to love them. The twists, hardly ever subtle (hard hitting seems the most effective way of getting some story-lines across, sometimes) can have you laughing with the characters, or sobbing with them so much so that the screen between just 'disappears'. I have never been so absorbed.

I have never been a fan of 'Rachel'.. selfish, tactless and totally unfeeling at times, I can't help wondering whether the writers considered ending with Adam finding solace, even love again, with Jane Fitzpatrick some time after Rachel's death. To me, they seemed a more than perfect match. Certainly Adam and Rachel's story (for me at least) is what took this show to it's highest highs, while all else was going on around them. That's not to say that the stories of Karen and David, Pete and...(add any name you like, here!) were overshadowed; certainly in series five, K & D almost dominate ones emotions, while sympathy and conjecture for Pete will naturally take you away for a short while, Karen and David's performances will leave you stunned, emotionally wretched and reaching for the Kleenex on more than one occasion.

The entire show gets better with each series, in all aspects... the writing, acting, production and direction, however if you are going to watch series five, make da** well sure you see series one to four first. It's a good investment of your time!

Cold Feet is THE best show to have ever been aired; no question. To those who compare CF to 'Friends' (and I like 'Friends' by the way...) let's be realistic, these are two shows that are worlds apart. I can't understand any comparison as being remotely conceivable. Friends could never have come close, anyway.

Cold Feet, though it had to end somewhere, is SORELY missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!!!!!!, 3 May 2003
This review is from: Cold Feet Series 5 [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
What can I say? I am a Brit living in Oman and as such do not get to see series such as Cold Feet unless I buy them on DVD. Am I glad that I bought this series 5!! I have followed the lives of all the characters since the beginning and now own the entire 5 series!! This series is by far the best yet - if not for the actual storyline, but for the way I have grown up with the characters. Mike Bullen has written probably the best series ever in British TV history. The sad end to the series was written with such reality and just the right amount of humour, it made you feel it was happening to you. To say it was a rollercoaster of emotions was hitting the nail on the head. I opened the DVD when it arrived and allowed myself the luxury of spending the whole day watching all the episodes. I also spent the next few days afterwards feeling very emotional about the programme, and can now only think of Cold Feet when I hear the song "The Scientist" by Cold Play. For those of you who haven't bought this DVD yet - BUY IT NOW!!!!! You will be missing out on a great few hours if you don't. My only sadness is that all good things do come to an end, but what a way to end it! I only hope that maybe in a few years we can revisit the Cold Feet life and catch up with the lives of my favourite characters. I know that people say that Cold feet is a UK version of "Friends" - I myself love to watch Friends - but I have to say that Cold Feet is unique and cannot be compared to anything. I miss it already!!!!!! Thank you for a great series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fitting Conclusion, 3 Jan 2010
Mr. R. D. Alexander (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cold Feet Series 5 [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
I won't ruin it for you by telling you or even hinting at what happens, but this is a fitting end and in many ways sums up the traits of the main characters. As ever, fantastic writing, well acted, superbly cast. Not a surprise that it launched so many careers. As ever, a real rollercoaster. All credit to them for not doing the BBC thing of throwing the pitcher down the well too often when they realise they had a winner. As the old music hall adage goes "always leave them wanting more"!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 17 Aug 2013
Mrs. J. Thompson "Jean" (South England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cold Feet Series 5 [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
This was a Christmas present, and the recipient said it was super to watch, so there is not much else I can say about it!

Cold Feet Series 5 [DVD] [1997]
Cold Feet Series 5 [DVD] [1997] by Paul Kousoulides (DVD - 2003)