5.0 out of 5 stars Love it so much it makes you cry
I saw this film 2 years ago, nothing has made me cry so much since homeward bound. This is a beautiful story as we watch a dog grow from puppy to adult (Fluke) all the time having disturbing dreams from his human past life which finally sends him looking for his human family. This film really knows how to hit your tear jerkers. An excellent film.
Published on 25 May 2005 by briggsy_ka

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun and original adaption!
People will enjoy this especially animal lovers.It's about a man who is ressurected as a dog and tries communicating his family from his former life.I have never read the novel so I can't really compare.However I think that people of all ages will enjoy this.
Published on 6 July 2009 by Mr. A. J. Ralph

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it so much it makes you cry, 25 May 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best, 10 Mar. 2006
I watched this film years ago but it is one I never forgot and because of that I have bought both the book and the film. It's a real tear jerker..... and in some ways even better than the book. (which doesn't happen to often..)

5.0 out of 5 stars what a tearjerker!, 10 Mar. 2003
This review is from: Fluke [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I remember seeing this film when i was about fourteen years old and I remember crying my eyes out! it appears to be a children's film on the front cover, however the deeper it gets into the story, the sadder it becomes. It is the story of a dog whose spirit is a man tragically killed in a car accident, and he is searching for meaning. Absolutely beautiful film, 10/10!

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful and original movie., 4 July 2012
Spike Owen "John Rouse Merriott Chard" (Birmingham, England.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fluke [DVD] (DVD)
Fluke is directed by Carlo Carlei who also co-adapts the screenplay with James Carrington from the novel written by James Herbert. It stars Matthew Modine, Eric Stoltz, Nancy Travis, Ron Perlman, Bill Cobbs, Jon Polito and Samuel L. Jackson. Music is scored by Carlo Siliotto and cinematography by Raffaele Mertes.

Workaholic Thomas Johnson is killed in an auto accident and is reincarnated as a dog. As he grows from pup to adult dog he starts to remembering things from his human life and sets about piecing together exactly who he was and what happened to him.

It was a box office flop, a hard sell anyway with its cross genre themes, but MGM didn't know how to market it. Was it an animal adventure for the kids? A family drama message movie? Or a metaphysical bit of dalliance? Truth is is that it is all three, an engagingly thoughtful movie that is flavoured by fantastical whimsy whilst also beating a poetic heart. There's humour in here, too, especially when Fluke teams up with the wise and shaggy Rumbo (Jackson). But predominantly picture is about emotional beats, sitting in that void between genuine warmth and tragedy. It's unashamedly sentimental, but that's a good thing, and it's not just confined to the animal aspects of the story, this is still a very real human drama. The messages within are handled with care, there's no beating us over the head here.

Director Carlei disappeared from Hollywood after the failure of Fluke, which is a shame since he crafts a great picture of strength. His dog POV camera work is smart in bringing us into Fluke's world, and many shots are gorgeously framed and filmed by director and photographer alike. It's also admirable in how he handles the excellent canine actors (Comet as Fluke is mightily impressive and expressive), it's no disgrace to the human actors to say the canines own the movie. There's some implausibilities, obviously, and one or two moments are too surreal for their own good; a laboratory break out sequence is cheer worthy but Carlei overdoes it, but this is still a lovely and interesting movie. Just like the great John Herbert's novel is for adults, so is the film. You can watch it with the kids for sure, so long as you have the fortitude to discuss with them the film's inner workings. 8/10

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a tear-jerker?, 18 April 2011
P. WILLIAMS "huggy bear" (spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fluke [DVD] (DVD)
"Fluke" comes into being after Matthew Modine is killed in a car accident.That's giving nothing away of the plot of this happy,sad,wonderful,childrens,family film because that part happens almost at the beginning of the picture.Then we learn that Fluke remembers that he had a previous life as a human and finds the need to return from whence he came to find his human family but how the hell is he going to get there when he isn't quite sure where 'THERE' IS?? Somehow he manages to enlist the help of Rumbo and between them they start on their epic journey, avoiding the dog-catchers, the animal-experimenters until there is a great tragedy forcing Fluke to continue alone on his quest.
Stars(briefly Matthew Modine) Nancy Travis Max Pomerac Eric Stoltz Ron Perlman

4.0 out of 5 stars A heartwarming story, 2 Mar. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Fluke [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this film on the television last christmas and i loved it. I thought it was a really nice story but sad at the same time. But after watching the film i decided i would like t buy it because i thought it was so good.
The film is about a man who dies in a tragic car accident and reincarnates into a dog named 'Fluke'. He realises who he is and goes on a journey to find his human family. On the way he meets another dog (voiced by Samuel L Jackson) who helps him on his journey.
This is a great film for children and adults. The only thing i don't like about the film is the ending, as i don't like films which don't wrap up, and in my opinion this one doesn't - but i'll leave it up to you to decide...

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching !, 21 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Fluke [DVD] (DVD)
Being a fan of James Herbert , I was very surprised when I first came across this story as it really is a break fom his normal style. I originally read the book and was completely riveted and read it in a day. I stumbled across the film one evening and was pleased to find that the spirit of the book had been captured by the film makers . I have caught it a couple of times since so am delighted to find it on DVD . As other reviewers have mentioned it is a real tear jerker . The only disappointment to me was that despite the original book being set in Kent , England , the film has been well and truly Americanised.Fluke

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Moving Film., 10 Mar. 2009
Ms. Jamie Adams "Jay" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fluke [DVD] (DVD)
I originally saw this film after my mom and sister recommended it to me, knowing how much of an animal lover I am. I fell in love with this film when I first watched it (at about the age of 13) and then ventured into the library to read the book by James Herbert. If you watch the film, I also recommend reading the book too as they're very different from each other. Even though the film is American and set in America, the book is British and based in London.

Much of the plot has been changed to fit with the film, and I admit I still prefer, in some ways, the book. Of course with the nature of the story and some of the bits in the book they had to change it to fit to children as the book can be a little more mature in places.

The only criticism I had with the book was the ending; for me it finished too quickly. I think the film tries to tie up the loose ends a little more effectively, but it still hangs on a little. Not the best of endings.

I only ever saw this film in the shops once and so I decided to purchase it from here. If you're an animal lover, you'll love Fluke...

5.0 out of 5 stars The classic James Herbert book made into a film., 2 May 2011
This review is from: Fluke [DVD] (DVD)
O.K. So it's Americanised so they've had to tweak the storey to appeal to yanks: but in general, the story is the same (It's about a man who is reincarnated as a dog) and well worth watching.

If you haven't read the book "Fluke" by James Herbert then I recommend that you do so, even if you've already watched this film!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Film!, 19 Aug. 2008
Ms. D. L. Harness (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fluke [DVD] (DVD)
I've had this film for ages and have only just got around to watching it. I wish I had watched it sooner. Loved the storyline. It makes you laugh, makes you go 'awwrr', makes you cry and really does make you think about things which are important to you. Well worth watching, whatever your age!

Fluke [DVD]
Fluke [DVD] by Carlo Carlei (DVD - 2003)