4.0 out of 5 stars Ether Song - as good as The Optimist?
Published on 4 Mar 2003 by Kitty Melloo

3.0 out of 5 stars a bit of a disappointment after the Optimist
The Optimist was one of the best albums of the last five years, and I honestly believe it'll be regarded as a classic in years to come. No matter how hard I try to love it, this just doesn't match up. The sound doesn't suit them so well, and the songs are simply not quite as good (including a couple of real stinkers - embarrassing). There are still good moments here,...
Published on 9 Sep 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Ether Song - as good as The Optimist?, 4 Mar 2003
This review is from: Ether Song (Audio CD)
On first listening, Ether Song doesn’t start out as promisingly as their previous offering, The Optimist but it’s one of those CDs that will just grow on you. I had previously fallen in love with the liquid sound of Turin Brakes when I heard Future Boy from their first CD and once I’d bought the album, I realised I’d found myself a fantastic band and with it, a fantastic CD in The Optimist. But this is a review of Ether Song and again, I was really excited by the release of the new album to see if they could build on what they’d offered previously. Well, I’m pleased to say they have although, be aware, they’ve gone in slightly a different direction with this album, so if you’re a fan of bands changing between albums then stick with the Turin Brakes cos they’ll certainly surprise you with this.
If you want a taste of the Turin Brakes ‘of old’ then Pain Killer and Stone Thrown will certainly take you back, but other tracks to watch out for are the beautiful Average Man, so smooth it’ll make you wish you weren’t doing anything but laying back and listening to it. Others to mention are, Full of Stars, so hauntingly tuneful, and Panic Attack, which is so refreshingly different. My only complaint would be that the first part of the album up to track 6 is a bit samey, you could in fact be listening to the same song. But, for anyone wanting a good chill out CD or just background music for the soundtrack of a modern, contemporary lifestyle, then this album’s for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars More mature and diverse... or just patchy?, 27 Feb 2003
M. Harrison - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ether Song (Audio CD)
Turin Brakes' last album, The Optimist LP, was something of an unexpected success for a twosome who do little publicity, don't have Hollywood girlfriends and haven't sold their music to advertisers. Many of the reviews struggled to pinpoint exactly what the extraordinary USP was of a guitar band writing poignant, lyrical melodies - hardly groundbreaking stuff, after all, and not a million miles from Travis, Coldplay et al. But somehow their particular brand of sweping emotionalism, folksy vocal harmonies and original songwriting added up to more than the sum of its parts, and The Optimist LP quite rightly collected accolades left, right and centre.
So now comes the 'difficult' second album, and for fans of Turin Brakes' first it may be a little disappointing. The layered, sweeping, studio-produced heartstring-tugging melodies are more or less absent, save from Long Distance (released as a single for that very reason), making way for a less polished, sparser sound on many of the tracks, some of which are positively cheery (think Flowers in the Window as opposed to Writing to Reach You). And indeed the boys say that's the sound they were going for, recording many of the tracks in only a couple of takes.
There's less of the Thom-York-esque cracked heartbreak and a little more of the slightly bizarre lyrics (singing 'now there's a river!' to yourself at top volume in the car can feel a little odd, however wildly emotional the track feels).
Ether Song is by no means a major disappointment, and shows the band exploring new sounds and moving forward. But it may be that in trying not to become bogged down in the same old sound, as Travis have, they have lost sight of the moving, emotional honesty that made their first album so extraordinary.

4.0 out of 5 stars More hooks than an abbatoir, 10 Mar 2003
This review is from: Ether Song (Audio CD)
If the right tracks get chosen as singles, this could do for Turin Brakes what The Man Who did for Travis. A week after release, it’s already sounding like an album of the year contender, a record that will reach far beyond fans of The Optimist LP and achieve nationwide ubiquity.
They have pulled off the difficult trick – make a record that sounds larger and more confident than the debut, without sacrificing the intimacy or the tunes to inflated ambition. Ether Song is a long succession of highlights, one you can just play from beginning to end and where each track goes perfectly with the next, but Stone Thrown, Made of Stars, Rain City, and the hidden title track are high water marks of the achievement here. Lyrically, vocally, and melodically addictive, this album is going to be around for a long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Album I've heard so far this year......., 19 Mar 2003
Josh Harris (Tennessee, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ether Song (Audio CD)
Don't let the four stars fool you, its more like 4 and 9/10 stars. I just can't imagine giving anything a 5 unless its the best thing I've ever heard (maybe next radiohead album?). "Ether Song" is spectacular, from the opening "Blue Hour" all the way to the end with the special hidden song. The hidden song, by the way, is actually the best song on this album. "Painkiller" is easy to get into, definately a summer song, and it's followed by another favorite, "Full of Stars", which sounds like love, thats the only way I can describe it. Definately the best album I've heard this year, and one of the most affecting albums I own.
PS: If you've heard the first TB album, this is a bit of a departure, but you'll enjoy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Turin Brakes, Ether Song, 22 April 2004
This review is from: Ether Song (Audio CD)
The first I heard of Turin Brakes was their single, 'Painkiller' which wasplayed a couple of times on the Q music channel. It blew me away, so I dida bit of research and found my way onto their website - where I listenedto (and liked!) more of their songs. I then went out and promtly boughtboth Ether Song and The Optimist.
Ether song is a reasonablylengthy album - 15 songs, which means it's great value for money. And thequality of the tracks is excellent. The jingling guitars and hard-hittingdrum beats are fantastic, and the lyrics are absolutely amazing. The twomembers of Turin Brakes are both extremely talented, Turin Brakes are arare find of quality music in this trash-populated industry.
Iwould class 'Ether Song' as an Indie album. All the songs are good,lyrically and musically. But some certainly stand out such as: AverageMan, Long Distance, Painkiller, Ether Song and 5 Mile. They're allfantastic.
I would definately recommend this album; even if it doesn't reallyappeal to you - you'll be suprised! I'm not a massive Indie fan but TurinBrakes blew me away. Definately buy it. And once you've done that go andbuy The Optimist, which is equally as good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mellow/gorgeous/sexy, 7 April 2003
Matthew Coleman (St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ether Song (Audio CD)
I Bought the CD today, and i've listened to it twice, and personally I thought nearly all the tracks were strong, but the stand out tracks were "Long Distance", "Pain Killer" and "Panic Attack" but my favourite being "Full of Stars".
I know that when a CD makes me lay down, close my eyes and makes me just take in the gorgeous, mellow music, then for me its got to be good.
The thing I did notice was how I kept thinking of Radiohead during the CD, i'm not really sure why, but it's not a bad thing, and don't worry its not depressing :) if anything I found the music to be uplifting, but then again I tend to listen more to the intrumentals rather than the lyrics - so who knows it could be soul destroying stuff? :)
Anyway buy it, I don't think you'll regret it...no review i've read so far seems to suggest i'm wrong!

4.0 out of 5 stars Still Optimistic..., 7 Mar 2003
This review is from: Ether Song (Audio CD)
Following the critical and commercial success of their debut, Turin Brakes were always going to have the ‘difficult second album’ cliché to struggle against. Whilst this is not a massive disappointment, it doesn’t deliver their full potential. They haven’t managed to do a ‘Coldplay’ here by truly eclipsing their earlier work, but they too have the imagination and talent to progress, where lesser bands would meerly deliver that tried-and-tested formula. They’re taking risks and moving on from that safe ground, not everything is bound to work.
‘The Optimist’ was produced when the pressure was off, as they’ve said in their own words, when they were writing music they liked, and merely hoped that a modest number of others might enjoy too. It succeeded beyond their wildest dreams, smashing their modest sales projects and garnering a host of critical nods.
If there’s a fault then with ‘Ether Song’, it’s that in getting themselves a producer and decamping to LA for a while, the album occasionally suffers from audible over-production. Their sound has grown less subtle, evolving into a something more confident than before. Sometimes it works well, as they deliver lines and chords dripping with emotive power, sometimes it just sounds like, well, they’re trying too hard with this brash new attitude.
‘Painkiller’ is the undoubted highlight, and one of the best things they’ve done. It can confidently be held alongside gems like ‘The Road’ from their first album. ‘Falling Down’ and ‘Self Help’ show how they’ve evolved, maintaining that great ear for melody whilst working in some delicate electronic rhythms against their own endearing strumming. On ‘Long Distance’ and ‘Little Brother’ they go further than ‘Mind Over Money’ ever did, bordering on forging what could be termed a brand-new ‘thrash-accoustica’ sub-genre as they deliver with real gusto, managing to tread just the right side of pretentiousness.
‘Ether Song’ will hopefully establish Olly & Gale as one of the UK’s most promising bands, and it’s a solid enough platform to work onto what I’m sure will be greater things. But I’m still confident that these guys are one’s to watch – optimistic that their best is yet to come. Hopefully next time round they’ll have less critical pressure on their minds, and they’ll be able to recapture that carefree spirit that still flickers throughout their work, and was in residence throughout the first album.

5.0 out of 5 stars EMOTIVE, HEARTFELT - WHAT A VOICE!, 31 Mar 2003
SHARON ROSEN (LONDON, ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ether Song (Audio CD)
I had vaguely heard of Turin Brakes, but had never listened to any of their music. I then heard 'Painkiller' on the radio and thought 'wow'. I subsequently purchased The Optimist LP - Turin Brakes' debut. I totally fell in love with this album (The Road, Mind Over Money, The Optimist and Feeling Oblivion - fabulous!) and I only had to wait two weeks before the release of Ether Song! Both albums are brilliant masterpieces. Olly Knights has one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard and his harmonies with Gale Paridjanian are stunning. I love the whole of Ether Song, but the standout track for me must be 'Self-Help' - a song to send shivers down your spine. The album opens with 'Blue Hour' - also a highlight - just listen to Olly's soaring vocals. This is followed by Average Man, Long Distance and then Self-Help. These four tracks are perfection - all different but all managing to touch your soul. Other highlights for me are Full of Stars, Stone Thrown and Rain City. The first time I heard this album, I didn't know about the hidden track - Ether Song. When it came on, I thought I was in heaven and that the angels were playing! Absolutely breathtaking! After hearing James Walsh from Starsailor, I thought I had heard perfection, but Olly and Gale take me to another dimension! I just feel so lucky to have discovered this great band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blowing the competition away, 8 April 2003
Alice Hansen (Wirral, Merseyside United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ether Song (Audio CD)
I love Turin Brakes. A friend introduced me to them in 2002 and I found the combination between sensitive intelligence, honest emotion and skillful song writing a joy to behold. Often in moments of particular enthusiasm I end up close to kissing my friend for passing the cd on. Please, let me assure you that we are talking about a classy act here. I don't think I could ever lose faith in Olly and Gale. They could do an Avril cover and I'd still believe they were brillaint. Their honesty, talent and originality really does envoke a sense of pride in the fact that you have bought the cds. 'Ether Song' is woderfully fluid, thought-prevoking and what I would deem 'subtle genious'. Some people ask me to describe their style and I always end up bringing Coldplay or Radiohead into the conversation. But in reality, they're nothing like these bands, and I really hope they stay that way.
I would not say that these guys are for everyone. If you like your rock loud and indecipherable than you'll probably only be shocked into a confused silence. However, if you want to hear some good quality new music, I sincerly urge you to get this cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you liked 'The Optimist' you'll love this (eventually), 1 April 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Ether Song (Audio CD)
If you bought the last album you'll have probably found, as i did, that it takes a few play's to fully appreciate how good it is.
In that way this album's just the same and having owned it for a couple of weeks now i'm totally convinced that it's at least as good as 'The Optimist' and being a little more varied, it makes a great addition to your CD collection if you like this type of stuff. I reckon if you liked 'The Optimist' it's a must have...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Ether Song
Ether Song by Turin Brakes (Audio CD - 1997)