4.0 out of 5 stars Cocky Little Buggers
Sebastian Bach wasn't a shy bloke (I don't think it was his real name!). But for a short time he and his band struck a chord on both sides of the Atlantic, especially over in the US of A.
Published on 20 Oct 2002 by J. Pearson

3.0 out of 5 stars good debut
This album is a good solid piece of work by a good band. The first four songs are straight ahead rock songs, and really sets a good tone for the rest of the album. Though neither of these four are excellent they still have a great feel to them. Then comes one of the best songs of all time in my opinion, the excellent 18 and life. Unfortuantly the song after is quite...
Published on 1 Aug 2003 by jamescarr666

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Cocky Little Buggers, 20 Oct 2002
J. Pearson "mr_pee" (Northampton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skid Row (Audio CD)
When they released this debut LP, a mini GNR-type explosion of hype erupted and easily impressed teens like me took notice. Seb was a pretty dude but a cool one as well. The chicks loved him & the guys wanted to be him. I was jealous.
When Skid Row released this LP, the hype was in overdrive & it became a bit of a rock monster. For some reason I truly believed that I was a Youth Gone Wild (despite my bank job & tidy long hair), and Ricky (from 18 And Life) became my hero. These 2 songs are now genuine rock classics.
Skid Row became overnight heroes and, until grunge spoiled it for everyone, they ruled the (rock) world.
Enjoy this LP before the sands of time make it impossible to find at even the most obscure of 2nd hand stores.

5.0 out of 5 stars Come up on stage and get a piece of this!!, 24 Jan 2006
J. Mather "Rock God" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skid Row (Audio CD)
One of the best debut metal albums EVER! The guitar licks smoulder and Seb Bach's throaty screams just drip with passion and power,the songs are tight roaring anthems about teenage life on the streets.The anthemic 18&Life is for me,what got me into the band:a passion soaked metal ballad that you need to sweat to!!
The punky edge of Piece of Me,Big Guns,and Youth Gone Wild resonate attitude that can't be faulted or ignored.Dave "the Snake" Sabo should be up there with Slash and Ritchie Blackmore as a genius guitarist,his solid riffs and crystal clear solos get under your skin and stay there!!Memories of hot summers in the 80's,as a teen myself,living the wild life,with Seb and Nikki Sixx(Motley Crue)as my icons!!
A shame they only made two brilliant albums before Subhuman Race and the acrimonious split.Still in the words of the album's ballad I Remember You,Skid Row..always will.Please please reform.metal isnt like this anymore,and characters like Sebastian Bach are much missed.Go buy two copies,you will wear one out eventually!!

5.0 out of 5 stars a masterpiece,yes a masterpiece, 1 Mar 2006
sean paul mccann "mccanns23" (ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Skid Row (Audio CD)
i remember hearing this for the first time,i was 11 years old,it had just been released,i was into guns n roses and motley crue,this was an album my cousin lent me,when i heard the opener 'big guns',i knew i was in love with this,there is not and i repeat there is not a bad song on here,classics such as '18 and life' and 'youth gone wild' are on here,this album is pretty much 17 years old and it still sounds timely and vutal and superb,skid row had the attitude of guns n roses and the riffs to match,this is a sensational debut,its a snazzy album,did i just use the word snazzy there?,its filled with cheeky innuendos that i didnt understand as a boy,i guess thats why my parents looked on in shock as i recited the lyrics around the house,anyway,get this,you will never ever regret it,hail skid row,i love you and always will

5.0 out of 5 stars great album, awesome band, 19 July 2006
This review is from: Skid Row (Audio CD)
It's interesting reading all of the comparisons between the big bands, and particularly the comparisons with Roses. I was lucky enough to be at Wembley in '92 when Skid Row were supporting Roses. It should've been the other way round, Skid Row were awesome, kicked Roses ass. And I was there to see Roses. This album is the very best.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Only Californian Metal Kings!!, 20 Feb 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Skid Row (Audio CD)
The initial reason for which I was drawn to this album is mainly because of my various other musical preferences such as "Poison", "Kiss", and "Slayer". By complete chance I heard "18 and life" on a MTV2 show and of course I was now inclined to buy this album.
At first I was wary that it was going to just be another metal band spawned from California in the 80's but this turned out to be the biggest misconception I have ever made in my 14 years of being. After hearing the album "Slave to the Grind" in all it's thrash metal glory, I thought I was onto something good with Skid Row's debut album. But, again i was wrong. I was not onto something good, but something absolutely phenomenal. Especially for a debut!!!
With the whole album barely reaching 40 minutes in length, some may say this is a fault. No. In this case it is most definitely short and sweet. Pure masterclass from start to finish with Sebastian Bach and the gang.
The album kicks off with the two anthemic songs "Big Guns" and "Sweet Little Sister" and continues with the perfectly crafted "Can't Stand The Heartache" (by no means a ballad!!) and "Piece of Me". Following on from this we have "18 And Life". Not only the best song on the album, but possibly one of the most prodigious metal songs ever. Beginning with a soft acoustic intro, it follows onto a complex and purely excellent song. You really do have to hear it to fully appreciate the complete brilliance of it. From here we rock on to "Rattlesnake Shake". A good song.(Of course!) "Youth Gone Wild" is next on the bill with it's compelling and catchy riff, which brings vague reminiscences of Motley Crue's "Too Young To Fall In Love". The next two tracks: "Here I am" and "Makin' A Mess" string the album album together very nicely. Next up is the acoustic ballad "I Remember You", which to be honest sounds far too mature for a debut album. Especially from the posse comin' straight outta California. A lovely song none the less. "Midnight Tornado" brings the album to a close in only the classiest rock and roll way. You will find yourself tapping your feet and playing some good old air guitar without even realising it!!
In conclusion to this review can I really do anything but tell you to order this CD right now?!? In all seriousness though, there is not a bad track to be found on this album, and the quality of the whole work is astounding for a debut album.
There is no way to describe this album other than:
" a true metal masterpiece "

5.0 out of 5 stars buy buy buy buy buy buy buy it, 22 July 2007
This review is from: Skid Row (Audio CD)
i remember when i was just 14 yrs old that was back in 90 late 90 i think it was sept 1990, anyway i went to this shop that i liked just cause it got rock cassettes so i bought it cause i was looking for hard rock cassettes and i found this tape. i went home and for the 1st time in my live since i got Iron + GNR + Motley i have to mention this i bought this album together with Dr feelgood. back to this album which now i have it on cd its killer vocals what got me into skid row then the twin guitars this is cd that since 1990 i got it on 2 tapes then moved to the cd back in 96 i think this is a cd that im sure no metal head will dislike its got its killer riffs and the best vocal from that era. also check out the 2nd cd by the skids its another masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still blows me away after all these years!, 18 Aug 2007
Mr. C. J. Balmer "Billyos Sixx" (Notts. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skid Row (Audio CD)
I was first given this album to listen to by a friend of mine when I was about 10 or 11. It blew me away then and it still blows me away every time I hear it! Sebastian Bach's vocals are absolutely amazing and the crunching guitar riffs rock like a hurricaine!

How Heavy Metal should sound!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Great After All This Time !, 19 Mar 2009
Mr. D. Wray "J28red" (Derby UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skid Row (Audio CD)
Must say this band and album still sound as good now as when i first heard it on a tape walkman ! This is a must buy for any fan and one of the better debut albums from a time when there were a number of "throw away" rock bands - This stands out as superiour

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSELUTLEY AWESOME, 28 Aug 2009
Alex MacDonald (Stevenage, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skid Row (Audio CD)
This is one of my favourite albums, it just rolls off your speakers with ease. This is one of the few albums that you could play 5 times over and not get bored of, put it in the background as you have friends over, it'll blend in and you won't even notice. My verdict: Buy it, its more than worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant Classic, 15 Jan 2008
J. M. Salinas (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skid Row (Audio CD)
This album thunders out of your player like a train at full steam rolling. From the hard rocking Big Guns and the hard rolling Sweet Little Sister to the anthemic Youth Gone Wild this record is more Motley Crue than Bon Jovi.

Doc MacGhee managed the Crue, Bon Jovi and Skid Row, so you can see the pattern emerging here. The guitar sound is quite raw and the album does not drop the pace a notch throughout the whole record. And even when it does with 18 and Live, it does so with a classic that is still played across all classic rock stations to this day.

This is simple and dirty rock and roll as you would expect to come out of LA in the 80s and this record will sit comfortably next to Guns 'n' Roses' Appetite for Destruction, Motley Crue's Dr Feelgood or Poison's Open Up and Say Ahh.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Skid Row [VINYL]
Skid Row [VINYL] by Skid Row (Vinyl - 1990)