4.0 out of 5 stars like a 12 minute jam sketch.
story is: man (paddy considine) sees rothko the dog talking whilst looking after friend's house. dog is apparently his lawyer, employed to defend everything he has ever done since he was four.
some very genuinely funny moments in this. chirs morris' voice over for rothko the dog a bit dissapointing at first, but you get used to it.
dotted with morris' trademark...
Published on 3 July 2003 by danny adams

3.0 out of 5 stars Rothko wasn't impressed, I was (sort of).
It's only by chance that I've seen this DVD, it seemed like an intriguingshort film, and by short, I really DO mean short, put the film togetherwith the special features and you perhaps have half an hours material (notincluding the commentaries).
Published on 23 April 2004 by Mr. G. C. Cutter

3.0 out of 5 stars Rothko wasn't impressed, I was (sort of)., 23 April 2004
Mr. G. C. Cutter "cutter_me" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Wrongs #8245-8249 & 117 [DVD] (DVD)
But then, it's quality rather than quantity were talking about here, andit's a small piece of art-house cinema that found it's way onto Channel 4which sets out to disturb as well as entertain. The story is; man isdepressed and looking after girlfriend's house and dog. The dog, Rothko,clearly wears the trousers and does what he pleases until he finallyadmonishes 'man' for his lack of responsibility. After getting over theshock that a dog can actually 'talk', the 'man' learns that this dog isactually his lawyer who must defend all his wrong-doings since he was 6.
That's pretty much the story, and although it sometimes seems like it islittle more than a framework for bizarre visuals and arty dialogue, thereis enough charm and humour to keep you going. It also has one of the bestlines I've ever heard in 'the man gave me a dead leg in the face'. But itcertainly does make for quesey viewings sometimes, with the hazyflashbacks and distracting soundtrack occaisionally making you feelphysically uncomfortable.
Probably too arty for some people, but those who like to flout conventionwill love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars like a 12 minute jam sketch., 3 July 2003
This review is from: My Wrongs #8245-8249 & 117 [DVD] (DVD)
dotted with morris' trademark weird language, e.g. Him (played by considine) mentions how he was given a "dead leg in the face", and "sh*t off" written on the back of bus.
good performances by all actors aswell as impressive directing by morris. interesting also is a cameo from simon greenall (who plays michael in alan partridge).
like the previous reviewer said the final scene is a bit nausiating, but doesnt spoil film entirely.
i think if you found jam and blue jam (morris' radio and tv comedy sketch shows) too strange you might not like this. its a far cry from brasseye and the day today, but still worth watching. as far as short films go, this is good and definitely deserved the award.
therefore: if you are a fan of chris morris and can afford it, buy it, but if not, dont go out of your way to watch this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Woof woof!, 16 Jun 2009
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Wrongs #8245-8249 & 117 [DVD] (DVD)
With Chris Morris directing, writing (and providing the voice of a talking dog) I expected "My Wrongs..." to provide a dark comedy with moments of pure grim abstractness which leave you glued to the screen whilst feeling a bit uncomfortable. But this isn't as dark as Jam, on the 'disturbed' scale it ranks quite low - but at least it's still slightly disturbing!

A man is dominated by Rothko; the dog he is looking after. He imagines the dog is talking to him and will be his lawyer during a trial where his life is assessed and his wrongs scrutinised. Although the film is only 12 minutes long, it still manages to be thought provoking and pleasantly weird while at the same time being firmly grounded in reality. We are shown the 'wrongs' numbered in the title and Paddy Considine is absolutely brilliant as the hapless man who appears to be losing grip on reality. The imagery has obviously been well thought through and no doubt repeat viewings will uncover more of what it all means.

There is a Runner's Commentary too which becomes increasingly more pretentious, to the extent that you think that it's all done on purpose to sound as pompous as it can. It does however provide a fantastic insight into the cinematic devices used by this film and others - especially around the subject and use of dogs. If you watch the film again after the commentary then you do appreciate it more. And with a short film you can afford time to watch it, the commentary, and then the film again - it can all be done in three quarters of an hour.

In a nutshell: Not a film to sit and relax to alongside a few friends, unless you want to discuss it afterwards. Short films are great for getting over a message - "My Wrongs..." obviously has something to say and it's up to you to interpret what it is. It might be a bit odd, but it's not too off-the-wall, it's a well crafted short with a superb performance from a very different looking Paddy Considine, and the Christening gate-crashing scene will make any Chris Morris fan laugh.

2.0 out of 5 stars Was it worth it?, 1 July 2010
This review is from: My Wrongs #8245-8249 & 117 [DVD] (DVD)
I rented this without realising that this short story really is short.....very short. In fact, at around about 10 minutes long it begs the question "was it worth putting out as an independent release?"

The film itself is certainly highly watchable however, as a great believer in value for money, I would have thought that it should have been used as a "b feature" to supplement another movie because you have to question the integrity of putting out so short a production on its own. It would be a worthy addition to any collection of short stories however.

The dilemma is that it is very good & certainly engages the viewer from the word go - good job, eh? Paddy Considine is excellent & the film captures the essence of being or sliding into an altered state of mind - whether this is drug or mental illness induced is not clear.

The dog is good, too!

A good piece of work but a bit too close to rip off for my liking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rothkoe woofed..., 1 Mar 2003
E Parry (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Wrongs #8245-8249 & 117 [DVD] (DVD)
When I first heard about this film, I was half excited and half worried. I'd heard the original radio monologue when it first aired on Blue Jam a few years ago, it was comedy genius as far as I was concerned so I was quite interested to see a film version of it. I was quite worried though, because some of the Blue Jam sketches that had been filmed for Jam weren't as good as their radio versions (in particular the Fix-it Girl sketch, hilarious on the radio, was abysmal on telly).
Well, I'm pleased to say it is actually pretty good, though not as good as the radio version (though I hate to say it). There isn't a voice-over monologue as I had expected, at least not for the most part. The main actor plays the role very well, while surprisingly it's Chris Morris' performance as the voice of the dog that I didn't think too much of. I thought he was too upbeat as Rothkoe, who seems to be more of a mean character. Still, it's Morris' film so I guess he knows what's right for it. Anyway, for people who haven't heard the radio version it's probably fine.
Incidentally the radio version is included among the extras on the disc, accompanied by a coloured dot that changes colour and size very slowly. I'm glad they've chosen to include the original here, as it's brilliant and has a few parts that weren't filmed or were filmed differently.
The other extras are pretty good too, there's a commentary from someone who was involved in making the film (I don't think it says who he is), which is basically him rambling about dogs but is quite amusing. It also reminded me to go and check out the film White Dog. There's also a music video featuring spliced samples from dog training video's which is hilarious and a pretty good track too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a try..., 25 Feb 2003
This review is from: My Wrongs #8245-8249 & 117 [DVD] (DVD)
Chris Morris' short film has recently won Best Short Film at the BAFTAs and it's easy to see why.
It's an excellent story of a man's decent into madness via talking dogs, decapitated ducks, snotty hankies and dark secrets.
There are the traditional moments of Morris' dark humour that we have come to expect and the film also features many slapstick moments which are just as funny. There are also flashes of brilliance that are easy to miss (Keep an eye out for the destinations on the buses!). It's also quite deep as you would expect and you can watch this several times and still pick up on something new, stimulating, and above all funny.
Technically the film is excellent, particularly Rothko the talking dog. There are flashes of experimental camera trickery (like in the earlier Jam) but this does not go into overload or impede the story.
You may have reservations about shelling out your hard-earned for a 12 minute film but I can honestly say that MY WRONGS is one of the best packaged DVDs I've seen for ages. Real thought has gone into the presentation and the extras are enlightening and frequently hilarious. The "Barbara Woodhouse" remix is superb.
If you're not sure about watching this then you'd better stop dithering and try it out.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for fans., 3 Dec 2003
Andy Lyth (Leigh, Lancashire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Wrongs #8245-8249 & 117 [DVD] (DVD)
My copy arrived today. I must say I found it really good, favourite line is "He think's he's my Lawyer but he's not". Press left on the extras menu for a hidden trailer for the 'Jam' DVD, which you might want to check out before you buy this. On the whole I found it entertaining and provoking, and would love to see Morris undertake a feature length film!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it., 6 July 2014
Perfect

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I expected-the unexpected, 19 July 2013
This review is from: My Wrongs #8245-8249 & 117 [DVD] (DVD)
Arrived very quickly through the letterbox. Knew what to expect from the video- quite shocking, but funny. Will buy again for a quiky gift.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK., 13 Dec 2004
This review is from: My Wrongs #8245-8249 & 117 [DVD] (DVD)
This is an adaptation of a monologue from the Blue Jam radio series. I was quite dissapointed with it, but that's based on my expectations after the Jam television series and the excellent Blue Jam radio series. I love the monologue character from Blue Jam. He's a character whose behaviour incorporates mental illness, being a waster and a loser, but he also says things that are so correct and always funny. He's always upsetting those who surround him, who are mainly the chattering classes from the art and media worlds.
I love the langauge Chris Morris uses in the monlogues. The words, the images, the humour. It's so good it should be studied in schools.
The short film failed to inspire me in the way that the radio version did. Luckily, the radio original is included on the DVD. The dog training remix is very entertaining too. Just a pity that the film seems a bit flat. I particularly dislike the attempt at giving the dog and the baby animated talking lips. It'd be much better if the words were just in his head, as no doubt they were.
The dog into lake scene seemed to lack reaction from the children and family. I exepcted more horror.
OK, still funny, but I think the radio version is better.

My Wrongs #8245-8249 & 117 [DVD]