on 20 February 2003
One of the best albums from beginning to end that I've heard in a really long time. Completely addictive and an instant favorite since the first listen. The All-American Rejects' debut brings a perfect blend of indie-rock, mainstream pop and emo in 11 surprisingly refreshing tracks (all of which have hit potential) with catchy hooks and feel-good beats. The Rejects offer a something for everyone with their successful fusion of sounds reminiscent of bands ranging from Weezer to Jimmy Eat World to Dashboard Confessional to The Get Up Kids and to even The Cure! This album is amazing. Listen to the samples and guarantee you'll want to give it a try.
on 3 November 2003
Possibly my favourite album of all time, i heard swing swing a year or two ago and got hold of the album at the beginning of the year. Kinda pop-rock but don't be put off if u dont like tht music - completely original and very catchy tunes. Swing swing probably the best song, but one sad song, time stands still and why worry are very close.
If u need any more proof, i bought tickets to them live at the first offering and am seeing them this month.
Whoever says this is anything apart from a work of art doesnt appreciate music.
Amazing
on 8 August 2003
The All American Rejects seemed to have sprung from nowhere and entered our charts at a respectable number 13 with their debut single 'Swing,Swing'. I myself rushed out to buy this single as the first time I heard it I fell in love with it. Impressed with thier debut single I decided to research more into the musical style and found yet another brilliant song called 'The Last Song'. Both these songs combine soulful lyrics and rock guitars with a slight classical influence. This style is echoed throughout the album creating the best album I have heard in a long time. The All American Rejects have set yet another high standard for the American music industry and will surely go far!
on 5 August 2003
well...what can i say apart from outstanding. The melodic singing from songs such as 'You Star' and 'One More Sad Song' make this album one if you are into punk rock. It ranges from punk rock to acoustic and the songs are just outstanging. Definitely worth a buy if your feeling sad and one to play at parties. Il look forward to seeing more from these boys as this debut album would rate to the top. Buy it if you like punk rock, and buy it if you don't. 5 star!
on 30 January 2004
This is by far the best album I have heard in the last year, if not ever! The songs get better each time you listen to them and each one manages to be individual. Their love lives play a MAJOR role in this album, but the uptempo beats mean that this isn't actually the kind of music you'd want to slit your wrists to, it really makes you want to dance! Don't skip any songs on this album, they're all excellent and deserve to be listened to! This is new, fresh and funky and is just what the music industry (and everyone else) needs right now. They have completely their own sound and cannot be put into any one category as they blend alternative rock with punk and pop. Most definitely an album woth investing in!
on 3 December 2004
This album is great! All american rejects are a pop/punk band and all the song are all based on the lead singer Tyson Ritter (total Hunk) experiences with an ex-girlfriend. all the songs on the album were written by Ritter and gutiarist/keyboard player Nick Wheeler. The two songs from the album that you may of heard being played are 'swing,swing' and 'Last song' which are both amazing songs and extremely addictive, just like every song on the album. They're the type of songs that you would listen to and then never be able to get out of your head.
The great thing about this ablbum is although every song is about Ritters ex there are no soppy love song but instead all have great beats that just make you want to jump around.
A great band and a great album, I can't wait until they bring a new album out.
on 29 January 2006
I've had this for a few weeks now and have come to the conclusion that this has got to be the best pop-punk album I've ever heard! I actually like pop-punk as a genre, and decided to take a chance on this after I enjoyed new found glory's albums-but this is just better!
For me, good music has to make you FEEL something, or feel like DOING something (dancing, singing along etc!) and therefore I find the tracks on this album good. Very, very, very good. Almost every track is filled with the most irresistible vocal melodies and air-guitar-friendly riffs, I find it absolutely impossible not to sing my heart out and thrash my arms around a virtual instrument in a mad fashion.
That's the best word to describe this album:irresistible. Take the opening track, 'My Paper Heart'. This comes on every time I start my car, and as a result, I have heard the intro about 200 times already. But I just cannot, CANNOT bring myself to switch it over. Because I know that the promising start builds up to one of the most gut-wrenchingly brilliant songs I've heard in ages!
By the way, I love Tyson Ritter's voice! His distinctive tone and frequent bursts of falsetto give the songs a truly unique character; and serve to make the vocal melodies even more memorable. And my singing along much more painful to the ear.
The whole album, I believe, is about a long agonising break-up (or several break ups) between vocalist Tyson Ritter and his ex-girlfriend. And yet, I never find the lyrics tiresome. Like many similar bands, the heartfelt lyrics are almost in direct contrast to the bright sunny poppy music surrounding them-but I know how they feel! I'm 18 and I know their thinking: that 'my problems are all little silly relationship-based ones which don't really matter but seem huge at the time but it's all good fun cos I'm a teenager'!
The high points of course include the two singles, Swing Swing and The Last Song. As well as My Paper Heart, I'd say my other favourite album tracks were Too Far Gone and Drive Away; although to be honest, I love them all. I won't try to describe them to you-all you need to know is that you absolutely will not be able to get these songs out of your head.
And then, out of nowhere, comes The Cigarette Song (the bonus track)-which, like so many great songs didn't really hit me till the 5th or 6th time I heard it. It's very different to the rest of the album-you can tell they're trying to be a little experimental with this one, with its lack of a clear verse-bridge-chorus structure-but it's amazing. With only Ritter's soulful words and an acoustic guitar, it manages to be sensitive, uplifting-and unforgettable.
I think I've made it pretty clear how much I love this album. I love it. That's how much.
on 26 July 2003
I bought this in the strength of their single "Swing, Swing" and haven't been disappointed. This is a near perfect 46 minutes of music devoid of filler tracks. Reminds me of Weezer initially but the greater depth and substance of their songwriting shine through on every track. Head and shoulders above the current crop of pretenders in punk/rock
on 28 August 2003
Well what can i say best album i've heard in ages these are guys are definately gonna go along way judging by this album. my favorites have got to be "Swing, Swing", "The Last Song", "Your Star"...... heck i love em' all one thing to say buy this record u wont be disappointed.
on 15 July 2003
i first heard of these guys when they supported the mighty millencolin at astoria way back in march. they were totally amazing and ive been listening to their music ever since.this truely is a great album. the standout track is the obvious single release swing swing which is catchy and clever. the all american rejects display clever lyrics and demanding riffs a great cd indeed but u really need to see them live for the full experience. this is a debut album that any band would be proud of. catch them at reading and leeds festival on the radio 1 stage.