5.0 out of 5 stars Some may say, I'm wishing my days away...
Classic album. A phrase often used, well for once the term is being applied wisely here. If i were to sit down and write down my top ten albums of all time this would be in there without hesitation.

Published on 21 Oct 2008 by BD

3.0 out of 5 stars Just a castaway, an island lost at sea!
The second album marked a nice progression from the first and this is evident in the songs released as singles. The Police managed to find better fortune by the time of recording this album and had some more money to spend so that they could record when they wanted. They were an internationally recognised band and had got their feet under the table with A&M recordings by...
Published on 19 May 2009 by Matt182

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Some may say, I'm wishing my days away..., 21 Oct 2008
BD "bigdave2020" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

Regatta De Blanc musically was the Police masterpiece, recorded before the media frenzy had gathered speed, the band had such a tight schedule of world tours restricting their creativity, and written before the need to dial out all the reggae stuff that Middle America couldn't handle.

This was as honest as the band got during recording an album and that is reflected in the feel and sound of the album. Sting, Andy and Stewart were really able to create the space around the instruments that became their trademark, and reached a standard of song writing that set standards of its own.

The songs themselves have a natural feel to them, with each musician shining through. Stings jazz influenced bassline in bring on the night, Andy's performance in Walking on the moon, Stewart driving along Message in a Bottle... Some of the tracks towards the end penned by Stewart are not in the same mould as Sting's but their inclusion here shows that at the time this was recorded, the band were still experimenting and not yet expecting every track to be a final polished product.

My summary of Regatta De Blanc is this. If an example is needed of a group finding their Mojo, this is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars regatta in perfect synchronicity, 18 April 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Regatta De Blanc (Audio CD)
The Police became the biggest band in the world before they split in 1983 following the huge Synchronicity Tour which included a Beatles emulating 70,000 gig at New York's Shea Stadium. Although greatness on the global scale did not develop for the trio until '83, their songs and energy exceeded all their peers and Regatta de Blanc is perhaps the finest of their five albums. Opening with the all-time classic Message in a Bottle which flows into a euphoric instrumental that shares it's name with the album itself, the listener is hearing something special. It's Alright For You is a rocker while the sublime Bring on the Night shows the Police at their most captivating, fusing a glorious fingerpicked riff with a blatantly reggae chorus effortlessly. Deathwish is then followed by Walking on the Moon with it's big bass and echo guitar and frantic but discreet drumming. The quirky On Any Other Day is comedic in lyric but retains the skillful craftmanship of all tracks on this album. The outlandish reggae on The Bed's Too Big Without You is immense and the song has an eerieness in its feel. I'm sure all know of the Police but what Andy Summers, Stewart Copeland and Sting achieved as a three-piece should not be understated. It's just a pity they could only hold their fragmented inter-personal relationships together for 5 albums. Good while it lasted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop listening to it, 3 Jun 2014
A. Camilleri - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Regatta De Blanc (Audio CD)
I had bought this album for around £4 (used to save for months) shortly after it was released in late 1979.

The long gone and sorely missed "Vinyl era", original track listing.

Side one:

3. The Bed's Too Big Without You (Sting) – 4:26
4. Contact" (Copeland) – 2:38
5. Does Everyone Stare (Copeland) – 3:52
6. No Time This Time (Sting) – 3:17

Only the first song on each side were released as singles. Yet my personal favourites were and still are "Bring on the night", "Bed's too Big Without you", "On any other day" and "Contact" and "Deathwish".

I do consider Stewart Copeland to be one of the world's best drummers. The Police have always been my all time favourite band, consider their first 3 albums as real masterpieces. I would highly recommend seeking the vinyl versions, as they are a part of history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous tracks from Sting and the boys, 27 May 2014
Vocally Sting is at his best on this album and the songs are strong too. Great lyrics and some of The Polices best hits. A classic album which has stood the test of time and will remain a classic for many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reggatta De Blanc, 15 Feb 2011
T. BUTTERS "Trevor Butters" (Spalding,Lincs,UK) - See all my reviews
Sounds as good in 2011 as it did when I first bought it on vinyl & played it to death back in the 80's! The Police at their best...love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant drumming, 28 Nov 2008
This is my favourite Police album by a mile. Not a weak song anywhere. The different styles of drumming, bass playing and guitar all fuse together majically. Copelands songs are actually my favourites.

4.0 out of 5 stars World Domination Begins Here!, 18 Aug 2005
This is the album which (on the back of Outlandos d'Amour) catapulted The Police to worldwide superstardom, and both remained in the top 100 of the album chart for more than a year. Message In A Bottle starts the ball rolling, and immediately immerses you in the music - less high energy than Outlandos, but definitely pioneering a new musical direction - white reggae - epitomised by the great title track. The whole band play well, but Copeland edges it for me, his brilliant drumming so expressive, but not overpowering. Apart from Messaage, the other highlights are Bring On The Night, Walking On The Moon, and Bed's Too Big Without You. I would like to have given it 5 stars, but somehow the album loses its way slightly on side two - the two tracks written by Copeland not really up to the standard of the rest, I feel. The closing track, No Time This Time, is the B-side to So Lonely, and is a return to their punky roots - a good song, but it almost seems out of place here, because the band have already moved on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still sounds as good today as in 1979, 4 Feb 2007
A. Moriarty "mumoftheyear" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Like one of the other reviewers, I got this album for Christmas in the year it came out, but, unlike the other reviewer, I had asked for it, and when the turkey and trimmings were out of the way, I dissapeared to my bedroom to listen to it on my portable record player, you know, one of those that you could stack eight LPs on at once and they were supposed to drop down one at a time, but it never seemed to work like that. Anyway, I digress. I emerged about five hours later with a huge smile on my face because I knew that I had a masterpiece in my possession. Those were the days. Years later, I leant the album to a friend, who leant it to her brother who took it to university with him and I never saw it again. Until February 2007, when I bought the CD with 'Synchronicity'. Two very different Police albums, but while I expected the latter to still sound good, I was surprised at how well 'Reggatta de Blanc' had stood the test of time. It sounds as fresh and full of energy as I remember. OK one or two of the tracks have dated a bit but the singles and other recognised songs like 'Bring on the Night' and 'Bed's too big..' haven't lost their power. Before I go, a word in defence of Stewart Copeland's songwriting. Yes, some of his songs were at best 'jokey' and at worst 'ropey', but 'Does everyone Stare' is a little gem and quite the best thing he ever penned. The lyrics are witty, sad and sinister all at the same time. I had forgotten all about this one but when I heard it again, I was surprised to find I still remembered all the words which means I must have listened to it over and over again, all those years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true classic, like a fine wine it just gets better, 5 Oct 2007
I was bought this album when I was six years old and The Police have been my favourite band since. I can't tell you how many times I have listened to this album and I haven't got bored of it yet. I was so pleased when CDs came out because my original tape was getting worn out. I still listen to this album today and as I get older I seem to enjoy and appreciate it even more. Stand out tracks for me are 'Reggatta De Blanc', 'Bring On The Night', 'Beds Too Big' and 'Deathwish'. Everyone should have this album in their collection if they claim to like great music.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring, 3 Jan 2005
J. A. Crawford (london, greater london United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is an album I can listen to over and over again, and it's dificult to fault. The playing on it by everyone it superb, and it sit's all together in a very natural way. Add to that, the phenomenal songwriting which is imaginative, witty, despondant all at once and you have an album which will outlive it's creators. Blur WISH they'd made an album like this.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Reggatta De Blanc
Reggatta De Blanc by The Police (Audio CD - 2003)