VINE VOICEon 2 January 2004
I've now had this kettle for a couple of months and I'm very pleased with it.
Pros:
1. It seems to be well-made and solidly built.
2. It looks GREAT (and I've not had any problems keeping it looking good - it just needs an occasional polish).
3. It boils relatively quickly and quietly.
4. There are no problems reboiling the water in a hot kettle (you know how some kettles have an oversensitive shut-off switch and won't reboil).
5. It is just as easy to use right or left handed.
6. The hideaway cable system is very handy - keeps the kitchen surface looking neat.
7. It pours nicely.
Cons:
1. Although most of the water pours out perfectly, if you plan on emptying the kettle, the last few drops don't come out very easily because they get stuck behind the filter attachment. To get them out you have to fully invert the kettle.
2. You can't easily fill the kettle through the spout, unless you run the tap quite slowly. (In fact, the instructions specifically tell you not to, but I've ignored that!) However, the lid does pull off and on very easily.
Overall this is an excellent kettle with just the two niggles I've mentioned above. I can't comment on the filter system because I live in a soft water area so don't need to use it.
One final point: - because it is metal, the outside of the kettle does get hotter than an equivalent plastic kettle. This is not in any way a problem for adults, but you may want to bear it in mind if you have younger children.
Hope this was helpful.
on 15 February 2006
The toaster's great why not buy a matching kettle..........big mistake!!!! The plastic view windows cracked and worse was to come........at first a small drip of water........... now it just pours out of the bottom!! What a let down for such an iconic brand!
22 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 March 2006
Not a cheap kettle and definately not of the expected quality. Same as all the other reviews after about a year you get a small leak then a flood from the plastic side windows. Also they do appear to be very cracked and the kettle has not been dropped.
on 30 May 2006
In common with other customers my dualit kettle began to leak shortly after the guarantee ran out!

Have soldiered on with the leak but now really have to change and we've only had it two years. Is it my imagination or are dualit sacrificing their quality to enter the mass market?
on 14 April 2006
Seems the same as eveyone else. Have had a dualit toaster for many years and love it, we are lucky we have had 2 years, without the leaking. We came back from a few days in Paris to find the electric fused and the proceeds of the fridge gone off!

It appears that you cannot even buy spare rubber seals, not the quality we expected from Dualit.
on 22 May 2006
It seems that this kettle has a common problem, in that they start to leak after a while.

I came home today to find the fuses triped-out on the consumer unit and water all over the worktop. I really would have expected better from a relatively expensive appliance. I bought this one about two years ago.

Dualit - They make a great Toaster...
on 15 August 2005
I bought one of these kettles since it looks good, matches the toaster and I assumed the quality to be at their normal high level. It appeared to work fine.
That was 18 months ago.
It then leaked so badly (while we were away for the weekend) that the water damaged the furniture on which it was sitting. I assumed it was a one-off fault that any manufacturer might suffer, but there appear to be too many similar reports for this to be a likely explanation.
At least it isn't made of the proverbial chocolate (although, if it had been, I might have had some warning of the potentially expensive and inconvenient trouble to come).
on 9 February 2004
the first of our two dualits leaked around the plastic viewing chamber the second simply decided to carry on boiling until someone switched it off... not impressed with the quality... stick to making toasters dualit... at least they work... sometimes but thats another story.
on 31 December 2004
I've had the Dualit 72022 for around 18 months, not long after 12mths had expired the kettle started to become very noisey and is now leaking, and it's not boiling properly. Seem this kettle is design to last just 12 months. That's why I'm back at Amazon looking for a new Kettle !!
on 13 February 2006
I wish I'd read some of the other reviews before buying this kettle. It looks good and boils fast. It's noisy but not as bad as some. All went well for about a year and then the level window at the side of the kettle began to leak. We returned the kettle to Dualit (even though it was past the guarantee date) and they promptly sent a replacement. Great service BUT unfortunately the new kettle started to leak in the same place after a few months. It has to be a design fault. We returned the kettle again and there has been a long silence from Dualit.