5.0 out of 5 stars It makes toast
and that's pretty much it. Solidly made, in the UK, the mechanical timer gives an idiot proof way to make toast. All evenly brown and no burnt slices so far in a month of every-other-day use.
There's a rocker switch to allow a little energy saving if you only need one slice. It is however quite large and needs a square foot of worktop. Make the space.
Published on 31 Jan 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Potentially great toaster let down by timer
We wanted a toaster that would last more than a year or so, was repairable and wouldn't end up adding to landfill. The Dualit seemed to fit these requirements, and works very well, but with a serious caveat.

Published on 7 Nov 2011 by Richard Rudd

3.0 out of 5 stars Potentially great toaster let down by timer, 7 Nov 2011
Richard Rudd (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dualit 2 Slice Toaster Stainless Steel 20245 (Kitchen & Home)

We have had our toaster for around three years now, and the timer has failed twice in that time. This is potentially quite dangerous as the toaster is then permanently on and could cause a fire. While the toaster itself is built like a tank, the timer is a very cheap, plastic and poorly-made component, made in China. When my first timer failed, I took it apart, and found that it had, apparently, been wrongly assembled in the factory.

We still use the toaster daily, but are keeping a close oye on the third timer. As a chartered engineer myself, I'm completely bemused that the manufacturer hasn't sourced a better quality component given the price-point of the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars It makes toast, 31 Jan 2005
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing since sliced bread, 16 July 2008
P. Eadie (London, UK) - See all my reviews
As a previous review said, "It makes toast". But boy does it do it well. I recently replaced a Siemans toaster with this and it was well worth doing so. Whilst the Siemans efforts were all style, no substance, this has the lot. It looks great and creates toast as it should be. Evenly browned, crisp on the outside, soft inside. Rather than popping up when done, the toast stays in the toaster, keeping warm until you pop it up yourself.

A worthy investment, but shop around. Many store prices are as reasonable without the postage.

1.0 out of 5 stars Risky, 18 Jan 2011
We bought this model because Dualit had a reputation for robust quality and the toaster was stylish. The design is simple enough so we foresaw no problems - but how wrong can you be? The problem is the mechanical timer, which began sticking during the toasting process thus leaving the toaster full on when it should have switched itself off. This was annoying at first because toast got burnt, but my daughter alerted me to the fire risk (which should have been obvious). If you were dashing about in the morning (which is, let's face it, pretty normal) and left the toaster to do what an automatic toaster SHOULD do - I.E. make the toast then switch itself off - the whole device could become dangerously hot and dangerous.

When we approached Dualit with this problem they were astonishingly unhelpful. Their first response was to tell me that I should not leave the toaster unattended! I replied that the whole point of an automatic toaster is that you CAN leave it and that if I wanted to hang around watching it I might as well use the grill on the cooker and save myself the (high) cost of the toaster.

Dualit then changed tack and offered a new timer - but expected me to pay! Needless to say I was unimpressed.

It is interesting to note that I have since talked to several people who also report the same problem with the toaster and with the man who answers the phone at Dualit. (He claims to be the manager...)

3.0 out of 5 stars Timer problem, 11 Oct 2011
Like other customers I have experienced a broken timer - in my case with
a three year old machine. Naturally, I didn't expect the Dualit to last forever
without any problems. However, to have the expense of a repair after such a short
period on such an upmarket and expensive product is disappointing to say the least.

I definitely feel that the company should investigate the reliability of this component
and implement an upgrading process. If a product has a Rolls Royce price tag then customers
have a right to expect Rolls Royce reliability.

1.0 out of 5 stars STOP - don't buy a Dualit toaster, 14 Mar 2012
I must join the chorus of disappointed Dualit toaster owners. Like most we bought ours because of its stylish, retro looks and workhorse reputation. 18 months in there was a strong burning smell and it stopped working. We sent it back to Dualit who say that the reason it isn't working is that there is a 3 amp fuse in the plug when there should be a 13 amp fuse - despite neither my partner or myself having touched the plug. Also doesn't explain why it was working and stopped working after 18 months.

They have also had to replace the timer which is apparently running slow and is a fire hazard - and I've just seen that this is a known issue with Dualit toasters. Matthew Shelley was also the less than helpful person I spoke to about it - not my idea of customer service.

I have paid them the £32 they are charging to fix the toaster and send it back. But I am not going to let this lie. And needless to say I will never buy anything from Dualit again.

1.0 out of 5 stars not worth the money, 3 May 2009
Dualit 2 Slice Toaster Stainless Steel 20245
I requested this as a gift a few years ago....last week kitchen nearly caught alight!!! Timer suddenly got stuck and there is no safety cut out! For such an expensive item it's not worthy the money!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK But..., 12 Sep 2005
Robert Groom (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Yes, it's a nice looking toaster. Yes, it's built like a Sherman tank and will probably last forever. Yes, the ability to flip the slices up part way through the cooking cycle is handy.
BUT
The timer is a bit of a pain. It's clockwork, and you have no way of selecting your favourite browning setting. You have to remember where on the dial and try to get it there consistently every time. It really isn't as easy as it sounds.
Also, and more annoyingly, whilst the slots are quite wide, they are actually too shallow to accommodate many types of 'taller' bread slices, so unless you use the generic white, square cut loaf, you are likely to have a nicely browned bottom half and a white top half. How difficult would it be to make the slots a bit deeper?

1.0 out of 5 stars Cannot recommend, 26 Sep 2013
18 months ago my business moved premises. We moved to a place that had a kitchen so I brought in my old Tefal toaster and kettle and decided to treat myself to a new Dualit toaster and kettle for home. I had admired their good looks and (perceived) reputation for so long. The kettle has proved reliable but I have grown to hate this toaster.

1. It's not deep enough.
2. Sometimes one or more of the elements doesn't come on so toast is uncooked on one side. Next time you use it all the elements will be working again so there must be a dodgy connection somewhere.
3. There is nothing to centre the bread in the slot so slim slices flop around and cook unevenly.
4. The timer isn't accurate so it's difficult to get consistent results.

All in all I wish I'd never bought it. At home, I toast under my grill on the cooker. At my office, my old Tefal toaster is still going strong. It cost under £30 ten years ago and still produces great toast daily.

I wish I could at least say this Dualit toaster would make a great paperweight, but it's even too big for that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 31 Mar 2009
Looks nice but does not toast any better than a standard-priced toaster. Ours just stopped working after 18 months and we were told in total it would cost £60-70 to fix. I bought it because I thought would last for years, certainly longer than 18 months! Very disappointed. Waste of money.

After getting it fixed, 2 years later, the timer sticks and so burns the toast unless you continually watch it! Absolute absolute waste of money. Rubbish! Do not waste your money just cos it looks nice-like I did!!

Dualit 2 Slice Toaster Stainless Steel 20245