on 12 July 2005
Boils water quickly, as you would expect from a rapid boil. But the water level display is very poor. It does not show anything less than 1ltr of water. Even if you put in more water, it is very difficult to see the level. So if you only want to boil a small quantity of water, the level indicator is useless and you will have to open the lid to judge.
The LID, very hard to lift off, perhaps because it is new and it may slacken after a while, but it is also not the easiest to grip! It is as other reviews mention, very noisy. Stainless steel is also a pain to clean.
I do like the on button however, and it is a reasonably quick boil.
If you could try before you buy, then I would not have purchased this item.
on 23 July 2005
Maybe we've just been unlucky, but we've had two of these go wrong in the space of a few months.
The window of the water chamber leaked on the first one, flooding our kitchen, and the second one keeps cutting out. It starts boiling, then stops, then starts etc.
It's a pretty kettle, with it's stainless steel and flashing colours, but if you need something that will last you more than a month - buy something else.
on 28 February 2005
Bought this kettle on the 6th of January. Looks great - good colours on the LED's, boils quickly, stays fairly clean. However, on the 26th of February the handle on top of the lid disintegrated in my wife's hand! Looked like the incredible hulk had fancied a cuppa! Russell Hobbs service agents, Salton Europe LTD. are supplying a new lid so all's well there, but be careful when you take the top off yours.
on 1 May 2006
The spout didn't pour, rather it poured AND dribbled so everytime you make a cup of tea or coffee you have to mop up the water on the worktop. The filter split after a very short time and the kettle is so noisy. Everyone coming to the house commented on how loud it was. We finally gave in and bought a new kettle last week. A Kenwood traditional shape cordless and the bliss of being able to pour without leaving a puddle every time is wonderful! After all shouldn't a kettle be designed to pour properly or is it just me?? And the Kenwood is far quieter.
on 15 September 2006
I've just binned this useless appliance after it stopped working just over 12 months of light domestic use. It made so much noise heating water, it was necessary to move away to continue a conversation. It filled the kitchen with steam before the cutout worked.

The kettle looks OK, but has been so unsuitable in use that I wouldn't buy this model ever again. If it only lasts this long, it might be better to buy a cheap kettle you'd expect to be disposable.
on 24 January 2004
I bought both this kettle and the matching toaster and, performance-wise, I have no complaints whatsoever. After all, we buy kettles to boil water, so in that respect it does what it says on the box. It also boils the water quite quickly, so it scores in that area to.
However, I have to say that this is the noisiest kettle I have ever come across-we can hear it above the TV in the next room! Coming from a hard-water area, I was very disappointed in the performance of the filter, and the limescale around the spout is impossible to keep at bay, thus spoiling the original beautiful satin stainless steel. So, top marks for functionality, but I like it to stay looking good too!!
on 7 January 2006
The inside rim of kettle is razor sharp so don't put your hand in to clean as suggested, also the lid is very difficult to remove as you cannot get a good grip on it or if the slightest amount of lime is present. Would not reccomend for these two important reasons.
on 19 April 2007
As a kettle, it works fine - we've had one for 3 weeks or so now. But the design of the lid is abysmal. The lid fits on quite firmly (not bad in itself), but the handle on top was clearly designed (or rather not designed) with aesthetics rather than function in mind. It's hard to get a good grip on, and as a result it often pops out of my fingers when trying to remove it from the kettle.

If I could return it to the shop with no hassle, then I would, as it fails the basic criteria for this sort of device: should just work, with no hassle.
on 11 March 2004
Great kettle, looks great and boils water very quickly. I am very happy with my kettle, and the Satin finish is very smart and low maintance
on 25 January 2004
the kettle is excellent, quite noisy, but it does boil fast. It's looks are good too.