Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 29 January 2014
AVTAK was the first time I noticed how good the Bond scores were. John Barry scored 11 movies in the series, a record that is unlikely to ever be broken. Barry created new and unique themes for each movie and frequently worked in the melodies from the title songs, blending the Bond theme into them so seamlessly and naturally that it became a staple of the franchise that those familiar with the latter title songs probably won't even notice it.

Duran Duran's effort for AVTAK has many critics, but I like the song, and the melody is brilliantly developed by Barry into wonderful flute solos. The triumphant score to the scene where Bond rescues Stacey Sutton from the burning San Francisco City Hall to the tune of "Dance into the Fire" is sadly not on this CD. For Bond fans and for score collectors this is a bit of a let-down. A few other cues seem rearranged or edited for reasons I can't imagine.

The action scenes have some very exciting orchestration and some classic moments. I am unsure if this or Living Daylights is my favorite of the series. I just LOVE the screaming, rasping brass sections of "He's Dangerous" and the bridging theme - a nail-biting piece of work used again for the climax at the top of the Golden Gate south tower, and the intense crescendo as Grace Jones suicides herself to save San Francisco is breathtaking. Really, really good stuff here, kiddies. This IS spy music.

The only other demerit I can think of is that Barry only uses the famous Bond chorus once, and rather weakly too. For this reason I think I might give Living Daylights the edge, but this is still a must-have score.

Fans of Duran Duran's famous title song should also check-out the epic cover version by Northern Kings.

The CD is hopelessly out of order. The correct order of the track is this:

1. Snow Job

Score as heard on the CD 3/5
Overall 4/5
review image
on 13 February 2004
Ok, A View to a kill was not the bes of the Bond Movies, but boy did it have a great soundtrack. The classic theme tune by Duran Duran (the only Bond them song to reach number 1 so far) is great, as is the absolutly brilliant instrumental verison of it, of which you get two versions. Included is a great little booklet which has alot of information about the film and the music. This is a great addition to any Bond fans CD collection.
on 4 June 2003
Recently I purchased this soundtrack.I'm a big Bond fan and I think this record truly captures the spirit of the Bond movie. There is excitemtent mixed with more mellow themes. The romance between Bond and Stacey really is apparent with the flute in the parts where it's used. Buy it, you might like it; I loved it.
on 29 July 2009
I had to get this CD on import from Japan about 12 years ago, but now it's here in all it's glory and better than ever. The title song is a classic and all the tracks are VERY dynamic and will rock your speakers. The sleeve notes are very good too. All-in-all a superb soundtrack in every way...Shame about the movie.
on 6 January 2016
When I first bought this cd, way before the internet. I had to order it & it came as a import from Japan & cost £18 which back then was expensive. It also was not digitaly remastered. It is now digitaly remastered & available cheaper than ever. It is by far one of John Barry's best Bond soundtracks & probably gets lost because everyone hated the film. I bought this film on vhs without any knowelge of the soundtrack or theme tune in 1990 as a birthday present. When I heard Duran Duran's A View To A Kill burst on the screen I became an instant Duran Duran fan & it became & still is my favourite song EVER!!. It powers on with drums & synth like an explosion & simply blew me away. I ruined my vhs tape rewinding the theme tune until I heard the song was on Duran's Decade album & drove my family wild constantly relistening to it. I still love the song & the film (I understand why others don't like the film as it is silly in places) but as it was the first film I ever bought I love it. The John Barry soundtrack is briliant "Golden Gate Fight" "He's Dangerous" are great barreling throbbing tracks & instrumetal orchestral versions of the theme tune also on the album. Barry introduced Syth drum track into the next film "Daylights" which was a great soundtrack too but this to me is one of Barry's very best.
on 6 March 2016
I like this movie probably because it reminds me of seeing it in the cinema during the school holidays, rather than the quality of the movie itself. The soundtrack however is top quality John Barry and helps lift the movie itself.

A View to a Kill was marketed as Roger Moore's final Bond movie (the tag line was 'has Bond finally met his match') and there's a kind of melancholy throughout the movie as Bond completes his final mission. There's a weariness to Moore's Bond in AVTAK that I think is deliberate and if you watch the movie with that in mind, it gives a depth to the movie that improves it.

John Barry's score perfectly suits the movie as it clearly evokes the bittersweet occasion of Roger Moore's swan song as Bond.
on 10 February 2011
Another great Bond score by John Barry. Barry manages to create a certain Bond "feeling" as in almost every Bond OST he's been involved in. The title song performed by Duran Duran is a pop music masterpiece, at least that's my opinion.

A view to a kill may not be the greatest moment in the Bond franchise (although I think that Max Zorin/Christopher Walken is a superb charachter) but Barry's score, along with the title song, really colours this motion picture.
on 25 November 2006
Other reviews have suggested Barry was "running out of steam at this point". I couldn't disagree more - Barry's influence on the extraordinary theme tune alone makes this easily one of the best Bond soundtracks.

I would accept that the rest of the soundtrack is far from ground breaking, but full of many classic Barry pieces. The instrumental versions of the them are excellent, e.g. "Bond meets Stacey"
on 9 March 2016
There's some fine work from John Barry in this collection, but as scores go I'd call this a bit repetitious... Many of the tracks are just the exact same one again and the CD both begins and ends with the track A View To A Kill. Worth owning if you're a Bond aficionado but probably steer clear if you're only a casual fan.
on 4 September 2015
Bond in the 80s, how could it go wrong? Barry's score uses elements of the Duran Duran title track throughout and it works perfectly.