5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful series
Published on 17 Sep 2006 by Miland Joshi

2.0 out of 5 stars Great memories
Belle and Sebastien, The White Horses and Robinson Crusoe to name but three, but what a three. School holidays and black and white television.
13 episodes in selectable original french dialog or the more familiar dubbed english dialog.
There is an audio visual fault in the middle of episode 6. I have had 3 sets and each has exactly the same mastering fault...
Published on 20 Aug 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful series, 17 Sep 2006
Miland Joshi (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Belle And Sebastien - The Complete First Series [1967] [DVD] (DVD)
I have greatly enjoyed the DVD edition of this moving story about the relationship between Sebastien, a lonely little boy and an orphan, brought up by the people who found him, and Belle, a large white dog who takes to the mountains as a result of ill-treatment by humans but who also takes to the boy and their adventures together. I first saw the series on TV decades ago. But the series can be recommended for adults as well as kids. Wholesome entertainment altogether.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic childhood memories, 24 Jan 2004
Phillip Bhullar (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
This and White Horses was shown EVERY school summer holiday I can remember as a kid, times I hope I never forget !
For it's price it's worth a journey back :)

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as I remember, 28 Jan 2008
This was my favourite TV series when I was a young child. I remember being desparate to watch the final episode on the morning of Christmas Day in 1967 - although box says the final episode was on Boxing Day.

Watching it now it is still fantastic. It has a strong story line with an evil character and more adult themes than I remember.

I loved it then and I still do now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just great!!!!, 19 Feb 2004
J. Bruinsma (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
I just received the dvd set one day ago, and now finished the first 4 episodes. I never thought I would ever see the series again after more than 40 years it was shown on television in the Netherlands. We saw the series at the house of my grandparents who had already a television in the arly 60's. I wasn't the only one who saw it with their grandparents I read in th reviews. The tune and the images never left my memory over the years, and it give me the thrills to see and here it again. Perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pyrenean Mountain Dogs Rule, 14 Dec 2003
Returning home from Primary School, I used to watch this programme all the time..as a dog lover even then, I swore one day I would "get one of those big furry dogs".
Happily, due only to the influence this programme had on me, I am now the proud owner of a Pyrenean Mountain Dog, and he is everything I ever hoped for and more.
Now on DVD I can once again watch this series that spurred on a lifetime of desire to own my very own Pyrenean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bellissimo, 21 Jun 2009
Another piece of the famous Tales From Europe jigsaw that included The Flashing Blade, Robinson Crusoe and The White Horses. Black and white nostalgia par excellence, fond memories of happy summers long gone, and the forlorn hope that anything similar would ever feature on our screens today. I can overlook the sound fault highlighted by an earlier reviewer; Belle and Sébastien remains one of those special moments in television history, the like of which we shall not see again. Granted, we produced those homegrown gems The Double Deckers and The Changes (never to appear on DVD?), but why did so many quality children's programmes come from France and beyond? Unforgettable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply lovely, 31 Oct 2011
It's so great to see this again and it really has stood the test of time. It can be watched in French or in dubbed English, but the dubbed version is in English with a French accent, and keeps in the odd 'merci' and 'au revoir' which adds to the magic of the story. It is in black and white, which I thought would put my own kids off, but quite the reverse - my son is captivated and has started calling our own, rather large, white dog, 'Belle'! A great way to pass the time with the family - even the dog's engrossed!

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to the........past., 2 Aug 2006
I was thirteen,this movie was in english version in my homeland.Great movie for me as a kid,I never missed one episode.

Mammamia,it must be lovely to watch it again after many,many years and also good for the children of today.It would be better with at least subtitles,but in any language,the sentiment is the same throughout the World.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful TV Series to Cherish !, 12 Feb 2012
This excellent 2x DVD has a running time of 325minutes approx' and is presented over 13 wonderful episodes in B/W .It was first broadcast on the BBC from October 2nd to December 26th 1967 but I remember, with great fondness, watching this series as a child in the early/mid 1970's.

The show is set in the French Alps close to the border with Italy.All of the actors play memorable characters brilliantly but the stars of the show are 8 years old Sebastian who is played by Medhi ( and is the son of the late actress and author Cecile Aubry , whose books were adapted to create the series).And ,of course ,Belle the magnificent Pyrenean Mountain Dog. According to a book entitled 'TV Heaven' by Jim Sangster and Paul Condon, Cecile Aubry also directed episodes ,but her name is not credited as having directed any of these episodes from this first series on the DVD set case.Perhaps she directed episodes from the follow-up series,'Belle ,Sebastian and the Horses' which the aforementioned book claims was shown on UK screens the year after the first series was shown.I must admit that I cannot remember watching any other but this first series ,although I know that a second series ,with this name ,exists .One note of caution concerning the book 'TV Heaven' is that it refers to Cecile Aubry as being male! She was ,of course, a beautiful ,feminine looking ,blonde actress !

The dog's real name is announced ,(at the end of the cast list,during the introduction) as what sounds like "Klonke" .I wonder if the female narrator is actually saying "Blanche"(with an accent over the letter 'e') ? In this case the name would possibly translate into English as "Whitey" in reference to the colour of the dog's coat . A French chap once informed me that the dog's actual name was in fact 'Joker' , so who knows ? Whatever the case may be ,this impressive looking dog is one of the finest that I have ever seen !

The series has the option of either listening to voices dubbed into English (with mild French accents ) or the original French dialogue .I have watched these DVDs several times over the last few years and, even as an adult, I have greatly enjoyed the experience.This has definitely stood the test of time and contains a strong and engaging story line.

The theme tune(written by Daniel White and sang by Medhi )is absolutely superb. It has to be one of the best theme songs from a children's(or any other) TV show ever.I rate the theme song to be right up there with the themes to 'White Horses'(sang so well by the legendary Jacky Lee),'The Lightning Tree ' which is the theme song to 'Follyfoot'( performed by the much under- rated band, The Settlers)and the theme tune to the 'Robinson Crusoe'TV series.

I have often wondered what happened to the actors and actresses (E.G Paloma Matta,who played "pretty" Angelina) in the years after Belle and Sebastian.Another thing that occurs to me is the question of the elderly actress who plays the part of the doctor's cantankerous housekeeper in the series .Could her distinctive character have been the inspiration for the Scottish TV soap opera, 'Take the High Road's character Mrs Mac ? Just a thought ! I would recommend 'Belle and Sebastian' to people ,of any generation, who have either never watched it previously or who have fond memories of the show from years gone by . It will certainly always have a special place in my affections !

4.0 out of 5 stars Memories, 22 Feb 2011
This series was on Dutch television 40+ years ago, and I remember how we all, as family, watched it and enjoyed it. There are no subtitles, and you can choose between French and dubbed English. C'est tout.
Quality is not very good, but that's not surprising for a series this age. B/W of course.
A joy to view on a rainy Sunday.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›