on 16 August 2003
Maybe only hardened Skynyrd fans know that this is the "lost" unplugged album.
If you like the band you've got to check this out. Forget tripple lead guitar, forget thumping bass lines this album is full of top notch accoustic playing. A lot of the favourites are there and whilst Van Zant's vocals are just as rasping as ever the playing is just majestic. Check out Sweet Home Alabama folk club style! The version of Last Rebel will make you think twice about ever again listening to the (electric) track on the album of the same name. . . close your eyes and imagine the Last Rebel riding back through the mist and gunsmoke from Gettysburg.
I paid a lot of money to get this on import so snap up this bargain from Amazon while its there you will not regret it.
Finally, if it's so good, why didn't I give it the full 5-stars? That awful "Heartbreak Hotel". Can't understand why it's on the album. It's as if Skynyrd have been temporarily side-tracked (like they were a couple of years ago when they put out that dreadful "Christmas Time Again" album).
To the band I say: "stick to what you are good at: straight southern rock and leave the dross to others". Electrically and now accoustically no one in this genre comes close!
on 10 July 2012
I've had this CD since I was a little kid; my dad took me to the Cropredy festival (1997 I think) and Lynyrd skynyrd were there, I'm not sure whether he got the CD there or whether it was later, then again, I was about four at the time, so I can't say my memories are entirely accurate but either way, it doesn't matter, because I'm reviewing the album.

It's amazing, that is it.

I have a best of collection but the truth is, having heard the acoustic stuff first, I don't like their electric sound much, instead, I think this album is an absolute masterclass in guitar and a veritable treat for the ears.
The guitars on this album are beyond belief, there's always something going on and the acoustic solos are a sheer delight for the ears alongside the wonderful vocals here.

The songs are a mixture of re-recordings of their existing catalogue, all of which I think are superior to the electric versions and original songs, written with a beautiful flair.

the standout tracks on this album are "I ain't the one" "saturday night special" (which I personally believe is somehow HEAVIER on this album than normal?) and "the last rebel" though the entire album is incredible, the cover of heartbreak hotel is a little dubious but I don't think it taints the album that much.

if you like skynyrd, I would recommend it, if you like folk, this is a delight, if you like rock, this is a treasure too, please, do yourself a favour and get this album, you will not regret it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 October 2010
Without a major label backing them ,Skynyrd snuck away to lick its wounds and reverted back to what they did best,quality music,an all acoustic album,this was definitely more country than southern rock but it works damn fine.

A mixture of old tunes,some new and a god awful cover version of 'Heart break Hotel make up this disc with a sparse production from Barry Beckett,which helps to authenticate the music.

Highlights,plenty songs such as 'Sweet Home Alabama/Am I Losin were born to be played acoustic however the surprise is when others such as 'Poison Whisky'(the highlight of the album) and the impossibly good acoustic version of 'Saturday Night Special' drift out of the speakers then you know the disc is a hit.

Of the new tracks 'Devil In The Bottle' & ' Hill Billy Blues' stand out,indeed 'Devil' made it into the live set for a time.

At the time of release this was an incredibly expensive import on the 'Capricorn' label,cost me a pretty penny,so pick it up at these bargain prices
on 1 July 2012
When a band as good as this goes back to basics, something magical happens; stripped of the electronic wizardry, raw talent just shines through. With the crisp melodic touch of acoustics-only accompanyment to the gritty rasp of the Van Zant vocals, this is lyrical story telling at its very best. Devil in the Bottle, Saturday Night Special, Poison Whiskey, Hillbilly Blues all redolent of the Southern man so steadfastly defended in Sweet Home Alabama. But for me the hauning lament of The Last Rebel is the nugget of pure gold. There's nothing wrong with Heartbreak Hotel except it has Presley stamped all over it and I would have loved to hear Gimme Three Steps or even Freebird given the acoustic outing instead, but who am I to carp, I can't even play a guitar!
on 29 October 2012
i think that this cd is one of the best from lynrd skynyed. i am 67 years old and have followed the band from the early days.
on 4 March 2012
I am still exploring LS as a band and was apprehansive about the track listing before I bought it - half expecting it to be another "best of". How wrong could I have been.

After owning Gold And Platinum for a while, I started exploring their albums individually and I've yet to find a bad one.

This one is the icing on the cake. As the title of this review suggests, this is LS unplugged and while I love the screaming guitars, the deep south sound and the tempo of their studio and live stuff - this is so laid back and pure by comparison. A wonderful discovery and (at the time of writing) at under 3½ quid - that should make it a no brainer to start with.

Lynyrd Skynyrd playing at their blusiest best. '
on 22 April 2011
Having been fortunate enough to see the original Lynyrd Skynyrd live in 1977, I've been hooked ever since. The full on three guitar BIG sound generated by this band is full to the brim. So how do Skynyrd do an acoustic album, and how will it sound?
I've got to be honest Endangered Species absolutely blew me away. A proper top drawer album and it really shows how talented this band really are.Take all the electrics and gizmos away and it still sounds great - in some ways even better. Sweet Home Alabama is one of the greatest songs ever written, yet the acoustic version I feel is better still. I've seen other reviews of this album that question the inclusion of 'Heartbreak Hotel', personally I loved it. When a band is brave enough to strip everything down to the bare basics and record an album such as this it's either going to work well or expose any weakness. Believe me this album is a credit to the skills, songwriting and musicianship of one of the greatest bands ever to grace this planet. Endangered Species is a job well done.
on 22 November 2015
The music is very good i like it BUT Did anybody else get the 1994 version i did, But i wanted like advertised the 2004 version, And it cost me £4.72 and I'm Not Happy :-(
review image review image review image
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse