• Salt

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 November 2014
After enjoying her "Dreaming Wide Awake" album I found this a little disappointing. In general it is more bluesy and some of the material is not as strong. It is still a worthwhile purchase and good for late night listening.
on 23 October 2015
Excellent
on 10 November 2003
This is an album containing some stunning tracks, some are better than others which leaves the album as a whole, in my point of view, a little inconsistant. Salt is a stand out track, very personal and passionate and walk with me lord brings out the powerful gospel voice. I think this album could have been better produced by ading something 'different'. Alltogether a decent album that fits perfectly in certain moods.
VINE VOICEon 7 January 2006
Firstly, I would like to start this review off by saying that Ms wright has a great voice. It is sultry, seductive, haunting. Her voice to me isn't the problem with this album. I think it is the material. The reason why I purchsaed this CD, was based on 'Salt' which I had downloaded from itunes, and is, for me the best cut of this CD. The rest of the material doesn't move or inspire me(aside from a beautiful cover of 'walk with me Lord')To these ears is begins to sound samey. I see she has a new CD slated for June of this year. I awaited to hear how she has progressed.
on 18 December 2015
good
on 14 October 2003
It is interesting how aflood we are with jazz singers of late.
Perhaps I have a differing take to others on what is jazz, but the polished non-noodlings of Krall, Reeves and to a lesser extent Lizz Wright aint jazz.
Polite music for the chattering classes to chatter over during a rather lovely dinner it could be.
Jazz singing can and is very intersting and well worth a punt.
Artists like Cleveland Watkiss before he went all drum and bass, and his new work in a duo setting are incredible.
Lizz gives us in Salt an easy listening album, catchy in parts, well delivered, nice arrangement but one for your mother at christmas like so many Natalie Cole albums.
The road travelled by Ella Fitzgerald and others, was revolutionary at the time. The story of how scat singing came about as told by Louis Armstrong was the words fell off the music stand and he kept going by 'going street'.
Bottom line, there aint nothing new nor clever here.
Perhaps instead consider the great Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan or even the delightful Blosom Dearie. If you havent experienced these artists first, then please do, and be prepare to be amazed.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse