5.0 out of 5 stars A hard act to follow, 7 Oct 2010
John Ferngrove (Hants UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Vaughan Williams, Delius: Piano Concertos; Finzi: Eclogue (Audio CD)
Classics for Pleasure were a budget label when I was still a boy, and not having seen much of them for years, I had presumed they were defunct, but then I discover this while following up on my current Delius investigations. Offered at a price that you can afford to take a chance on, but there is absolutely nothing budget about the recording or performance from 1994, from that late, lamented Vernon Handley, and the very fine Royal Liverpool Philharmonic. Piers Lane is a pianist who is cropping up in more and more places lately, and nothing I have heard from him so far has given cause for disappointment.

I actually purchased this for the Delius, but it's the Vaughan Williams that has proved the most impressive, and that will probably prompt a V.W. renaissance in my musical explorations. There's nothing wrong with the Delius. In fact it's very good, with many of the characteristic gestures those who know him will love, while also showing some interesting and less typical aspects of Delius' scope. But the V.W. is just so good, so thoroughly good in fact, that it proves an impossible act for the Delius to follow.

The opening movement has a first subject that has an almost jazz like exuberance and swagger, and a second that brings to mind shanties and hornpipes. Between them a world of huge invention and irresistible momentum is generated. The second movement is tender and mysterious, magical in fact, with strange chromatic piano figures rippling across music that is evocative of a moonlit night. The finale, opens with an immense fugue, with themes being exchanged between raucous brass and the piano pounding monstrously in the lower registers. This excitement gives way to more extremely delicate music, s the work goes out not with a bang but a whimper. My one criticism is formal, and would be that the opening movement is not quite ambitious enough in duration and weight to balance the two later movements. Nonetheless, all of the music we do get is hugely original, and has an invincible positivity that is rare in the music of any age. As such it's a hairs-breadth from being an unqualified masterpiece, in my humble estimation.

The final item of the set is the wonderfully pretty Eclogue by Finzi, with its extremely subtle and delicate phrasing. Finzi, is possibly the composer who has languished longest on my list of composers to be checked out, without ever quite bubbling to the top. Till that finally happens this provides a handsome down-payment on my future investigations.

4.0 out of 5 stars A 'should have' for all lovers of english classical music, 21 Aug 2011
Mr. J. Lazzerini "Jonathan" (Quimper, France) - See all my reviews
Vaughan-Williams and Delius are 2 of my favourite composers, yet I had never heard their piano concertos perhaps because they are in the shadow of their more well known purely orchestral works. I liked both the piano concertos which I found nicely performed, although the recording technology is not the best. Specifically the piano in the RVW concerto is not prominent enough and is dwarfed by the orchestra.

Contrary to the other reviewer, I prefer the Delius concerto to RVW's, a lyrical and romantic piece in the same style as his small orchestral works with a feeling of english country garden well-being.

However, it is Finzi's Eclogue that charmed me the most - a delightful piece of music published posthumously that would have been a movement of a piano concerto.

At the bargain prices asked for CFP recordings of masters such as Vernon Handley, this is a no-brainer, and a 'should have' for all lovers of english classical music.

For a 5 star 'must have' I can highly recommend another CFP disc of Delius with Handley: Delius Orchestral Works (if you can find it available).

4.0 out of 5 stars V Williams, Delius, Finzi, 13 Dec 2012
A good combination of pieces. I particularly enjoyed the Eclogue. The piano concertos were well executed. The Delius was a very enjoyable rendition.

5.0 out of 5 stars surpassed expectations, 22 Jun 2014
i heard Finzi,,,s, Eclogue for the first time and was spellbound and had to have it in my collection - it gives me great pleasure the rest of the recording is also brilliant I have recommended it to many of my friends

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of British music, 22 Feb 2014
This is a superb example of British music. The Eclogue particularly is beautiful and worth buying the CD just for this piece. Finzi is a composer who should be promoted as his music is so lyrical.
Very good value CD and excellent delivery time.

4.0 out of 5 stars eclogue, 6 April 2013
I had heard of this piece but did not know it and was delighted when I listened to the CD. It is lovely.