on 9 July 2003
This is a frustrating yoga video. It forgets that to do the practice with the video we need constant spoken instruction as well as visual cues. You could do yourself a serious injury if you try to watch the screen while you're doing some of these postures! At times the spoken instructions stop half way through a movement, assuming that you'll keep up. Breathing is meant to be important but he stops reminding you of this during some of the movements. At the end of one posture it leaves you standing, cuts to a title screen (eg. Pigeon!) and suddenly they're relaxing in 'pose of a child'. By the time you get down to join them they're off into the next posture! Some of the trickier postures are well explained but to do them correctly the instructor comes out of pose and physically assists Penny Smith. Why put it in a home video if you need that level of support from an instructor? There's no indication of the type of yoga or level of competence suggested on the cover. I had a nice stretch doing the bits I could manage but I couldn't recommend it.
on 21 August 2003
This dvd is for the intermediate to advanced student who already knows how to move into most postures.
Instruction is a little shallow in places, more spoken instructions are needed on some asanas. Sometimes they (Penny & Howard) move on too fast for you to be able to keep up with them for the first few times you use the video.
This is one of the few DVDs with a partner yoga section (which is a big redeeming facor for this dvd) - gave me (and my instructor)some great ideas.
on 1 August 2015
I already had this as a tape which unfortunately snapped after much use. I was delighted with the DVD replacement version as the three Sun Salutations sets can now be played individually.