4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying sandwich with a sickly filling

3.0 out of 5 stars New York's finest
Published on 13 Aug 2001 by Vikdaddy

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying sandwich with a sickly filling, 12 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: New York Stories [VHS] (VHS Tape)
New York Stories is made up of three short films by three directors, Martin Scorcese, Francis Ford Coppola and Woody Allen, who have all had a long love affair with New York in their films. Martin Scorcese's film, `Life Lessons', follows an artist played by Nick Nolte as he paints his masterpiece, spurned on by his tempestuous relationship with his live-in apprentice/muse and object of obsession. Some may find this film somewhat pretentious, but I found it visually and emotionally absorbing and I really enjoyed Scorcese's use of the camera in showing the artist's work. Coppola's story, `Life Without Zoe', is by far the worst of the trio. It is self-indulgent and the only point of note is that it represents Sofia Coppola's first writing credit as co-writer with her father. Sofia recently directed the beautifully poised rites of passage film `The Virgin Suicides', which represented her own transition from the shadow of her father to recognition of being a talent in her own right. Woody Allen's film, Oedipus Wrecks, is by far the best of the trilogy. Permeated with his trademark neuroses and razor-sharp wit, Oedipus Wrecks is about a single Jewish New Yorker (played by Allen) whose mother is constantly trying to get him to settle down with a nice Jewish girl. His mother then disappears (or dies, I can't remember which) only to reappear as a giant disembodied head in the New York sky, where she proceeds to discuss her child's life (complete with baby photo's). This is one of my favourite Woody Allen films, and on the strength of this I am surprised he doesn't make more short films. It is brilliantly Freudian, sharply observed and hilarious, despite the fact that this evidently represents something of a nightmare, not only for Allen's neurotic character but possibly for the director himself. Brilliant. Buy this film on the strength of the third segment.

3.0 out of 5 stars New York's finest, 13 Aug 2001
Vikdaddy (Nottingham, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New York Stories [VHS] (VHS Tape)
When I picked up my copy of New York Stories, I immediately purchased it. I thought, "currently three of the best auteurs on one film - excellent"! But, when I watched it, I felt slightly disappointed. You see, it isn't such a bad collection of short movies, but I expected three rip-roaring shorts that would knock my socks off. It didn't happen. I expected three directors competing amongst themselves, to show what is best in American film. But it didn't quite turn out that way. Woody Allen's film is great, and the best - classic Woody, you could say. If you enjoy his movies, you will not be dissapointed. But, I suppose that's the benefit of being a director of comedies and starring yourself as the main character in most of your films: Comedies often work when not too long, hence all his films being approximately 90 minutes long; and, there's no need for character development with Woody, as you know what to expect - neurosis personified. Second would be Scorcese's short. A neat, solid film, with Scorcese's familiar style splashed all over. Nick Nolte is very good, and the story is decent enough. But I couldn't help feeling that the story could have been better if it was actually a normal 2-hour film, as it seems to be lacking in some areas. The story felt as if it needed more background, as it felt as if the characters needed more build-up to define more thoroughly the type of people they were. But, all in all a nice little movie. Francis-Ford Coppola's short is the let-down in this collection. The story has it's cute bits, and the main character, a rich, young girl, is played excellently by the youthful actress. But I felt as if the movie was trying to be too cute. Coppola has never made a movie of this type, with this kind of story, and it shows. I was expecting a thriller when I saw his name on the box, but I imagine he felt he couldn't reasonably expect a decent thriller in inside 30-40 minutes. All in all, a nice little package, especially if you're fans of Scorcese's or Woody Allen's films. But, it wasn't all that it could have been coming from three of the best - if not THE best - in current American directorial talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Microcosm of the Big Apple, 5 Sep 2010
Fabulous collection of stories.
One of those videos that gets watched time & time again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Woody shines, 13 Sep 2006
Allen's contribution is quite hilarious and loveable.
Scorcese - yes, a bit pretentious but really a very honest portrayal of artistic angst... maybe.
Coppola - pointless [...].

4.0 out of 5 stars Film set in NY, 10 Mar 2012
The short film by Allen is hilariously true, and the story set among artists is quite interesting even though a bit dejà vu. All in all a good film.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the Nick Notle story, so romantic!, 14 Nov 2011
It is definetely a must see movie.For me the best story is Life Lessons. It gives me such a great feeling!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice trilogy, 5 Jun 2014
Brian Elliott - See all my reviews
A good trilogy of films. I bought it mainly because I am a Woody Allen huge fan of. Not his best but enjoyable. The other two films were good and the DVD was very cheap.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit disappointed, 6 Jun 2013
The Woody Allen film is great but the other 2 are a bit disappointing. I would get it for the Allen film alone if you like his stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Sep 2014
mike (LONDON.NEW YORK ,EDINBURGH) - See all my reviews
whats not to likethree great short films by three great new york film makers

4.0 out of 5 stars new york shorts, 6 Sep 2014
first story really sold it to me.

New York Stories [DVD] [1989] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]