5.0 out of 5 stars Catchy initially, and it grows on you over time too
Published on 20 Dec 2003 by Peter Cooper

3.0 out of 5 stars One very good song and a bunch of ok ones
Take it Off is a classic bit of pop rock with a great hook and a fine bit of pop rock riffage.
The rest of the album is mediocre by comparison and is lyrically and musically simple but it is entertaining enough for a short while.
Basically, if AC/DC were girls they might sound like this.
Published on 13 May 2003 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Catchy initially, and it grows on you over time too, 20 Dec 2003
Peter Cooper (Louth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Spend The Night (Intl Version) (Audio CD)
I bought this album this summer while I was in Los Angeles, because The Donnas did the music for the MTV show 'Surf Girls' that I was watching (now showing here in the UK too), and it provided a great soundtrack to a killer summer. I came to Amazon UK to look up the tracknames as iTunes hadn't imported my CD properly, and as I went through all the track names I realised I could remember the chorus from EVERY single song, just from the song title. This surprised me since I'd considered all of the songs to 'sound the same', but on reflection, they're all extremely catchy and have unique hooks. The lyrics are clear, easy to remember, and totally 'feel good'. So, I felt driven to write a review, considering my opinion of the album just shot up within a few minutes.
The Donnas have been releasing albums for five years now (I think this is their fourth) but this is the first album to ride the waves over the UK in any big way. But the Donnas are not just about the music, it's the whole image of the 'chick rock' band. They're not too dissimilar from British chick punk band Kenickie (fronted by Lauren Laverne), except that The Donnas are still going, and have a much bigger Californian/surf rock influence. This album screams 'West Coast'. This is no British influence punk, it's convertibles, palm trees, and hammering down the freeway to Santa Monica. That's the whole mood of this album, and if you're stuck in a bedsit in rainy Barnet hopefully this will rub off.
There's no point in reviewing individual tracks. They're all uptempo riff-driven surf-pop-rock tracks that you can head bang to. No particularly strong tracks, no particularly weak ones, it's just a solid disc to throw in to evoke California.. much like anything by Smash Mouth, Goldfinger, or Weezer (at a push).

5.0 out of 5 stars Rocks from the first track to the last, 8 April 2003
P. Gardham - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spend The Night (Intl Version) (Audio CD)
I first heard the Donnas shortly after the release of Take it Off in the US when I was watching Kerrang! I was impressed and immediately went and ordered the album on import. I wasn't disapointed.
From the moment you put the CD in your player, it hits you with fast rock and guitar and the pace never slows once. There are NO bad tracks on this album, and you'll soon be singing along with them.
The lyrics may not be complicated, they may not be about some higher meaning - but at the end of the day who cares when you've got fantastic tunes like these? Not me. I'll spend a night with the Donnas any day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure adrenalin fuelled fun punk rawk., 2 April 2003
This review is from: Spend The Night (Intl Version) (Audio CD)
Awesome, the 'Lady Ramones' truly come of age, hook after hook after MF'ing hook. 14 songs, all catchy as hell, all about chasing boys (and occasionally, putting them down! ('Who invited You' 'Dirty Denim')hit Single 'Take It Off' class tuen as it is, is just another song alongside the others, such is the high Quality throughout.
The easy going lyrics of 'Take Me To The Backseat' ('Do you need a map?, Let's skip the night cap, I'll make it sticky sweet, Just take me to the backseat' 'Too Bad About you Girl' may worry their parents, but will have the lads flocking to the shows Hoping they live up to those words!.
Classic, pnky, catchy, and FUN, in a time of over political musicians, a breath of fresh (well, maybe alcohol scented) air.

5.0 out of 5 stars Party!!!, 14 April 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Spend The Night (Intl Version) (Audio CD)
This is the perfect party soundtrack for any night of the week! This is the best punk, glam rock since Bret Micheals asked you to talk to him. Yes its that good! Its oozes out fun from every song,and if your not in the mood by the time you have reached "All messed up" then I'd check your pulse.If the girls had as much fun recording it as You'll have listening to it I'm surprised they finished it. Remember to pack your lipstick, glitter and cheap cider so you can Spend the Night!

4.0 out of 5 stars Get your rocks off honey, 28 May 2004
This review is from: Spend The Night (Intl Version) (Audio CD)
From the first riff the album careers into action, and keeps the pace for a remarkable 14 tracks. Their most mature and polished offering yet, this is a Donnas record with class. Some of the lyrics make me cringe, alot make me laugh out loud, but you can be sure there will be plenty of great riffs tunes and guitar solos galore. The Donnas are accomplished rock musicians now and their songwriting has improved as well. Enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars the best one yet, 6 Nov 2002
Tom Martin (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: spend the night (Audio CD)
spend the night is the donnas most complete album to date. all the tracks are great and for a major label debut it rules. donnas fans should be satisfied as its the same formula as everything else they have done. big on guitars riffs and much better production than before make this album shine the most. but it could do with 2 more slow songs to even the album out. i`m sure the donnas could write some fab funny slow songs. but this is still a high octance kick ass album that needs to be turned up loud for the full crazy effect. brett`s voice is better than ever this time plus u get a dvd with a really good "making of..." filmed on camcorder by the donnas!! its quite funny.
buy it, its the most happiest colurful album this year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning - an absolute classic!, 18 April 2008
A. S. Hounsome (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spend the Night [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Right up alongside ZZ Top's Eliminator, Van Halen I and Appetite For Destruction. This album is flawless. Not one weak track on the whole album - every song could stand up as as a single release. Songwriting is superb, cheap and catchy with top class production bringing the guitars to the forefront, without being overbearing. It is the Donna's finest album to date, unfortunately not equalled by it's successor Gold Medal.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!, 19 Nov 2008
R. jeffrey (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spend The Night (Intl Version) (Audio CD)
ive liked the donnas for a while now and decided to invest in this c.d,
i was happy 2 find its as cool as all their other stuff!
All the songs are kinda simlar but it doesnt matter cause theyre all so catchy!! if you like one song you will like them all!
Listening to this cd kind of reminds me of girly american film ost's like mean girls or jawbreaker!
I can listen to this time and time again!
I LOVE IT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This rocks!, 4 Dec 2009
Riaan (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spend The Night (Intl Version) (Audio CD)
I was pleasantly surprised, expecting some half-arsed Ramones wannabe all girl outfit.

The Donnas rock, that is all I can say; great AC/DC inspired riffs, catchy melodies and a totally bitchin attitude. I am definitely getting all of their other albums, that's for sure. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album!, 3 July 2004
Lucy (Leicestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spend The Night (Intl Version) (Audio CD)
Compared with the other albums that the Donnas have released this is a lot more mature in sound.
My fave songs on the album are take it off, pass it arouns and on the rocks. They are just really cool songs. I have had this album in my CD player for ages and would usually be bored with the same songs... but, I still am enjoying the album as much as the first time I listened to it.
OK, it isnt a CD for everyone. Buy this CD if you like punk-pop/rock sort of music. If you arent into this sort of music then you are probally wasteing you time.

Spend The Night (Intl Version)
Spend The Night (Intl Version) by Donnas (Audio CD - 2003)