Format: Audio CDChange

on 9 August 2003
Having heard only one track from this album before i took the bold step of buying it. Something i have done before and regretted. Not this time. The only track i had heard before was 'Sweet as Honey' and i thought if the rest are this good then it'll be OK. This album contains 10 absolutely outstanding tracks. Each one beautifully crafted and layered with strings, acoustic guitars, great trip-hop drum loops and quality vocals to take you on a sublime chilled out journey. Forget 'Air' and 'Zero 7'. This is the business. Whether you're lying on a beach, in the garden or in the bath, take an hour to enjoy 'Sound Echo Location'. It's a long way from Heaven 17 or ABC (Glenn Gregory and Keith Lowndes are the main people behind the project) but a great step forward and right up to date.
Forget yourself, take some time out and immerse yourself into the empyreal world of 'Honneyroot'.
on 9 July 2003
I bought this album on the basis of a decent 'q magazine review'. However, I was still suprised at the true quality of the album. 'Sound Echo Location' is a beautifully crafted album, a sensuous blend of contemporary electronica with real instruments and voices and the effortlessly evocative feel of a film score. From the pioneering simplicity of their electronic roots Glenn Gregory and Keith Lowndes have combined a wealth of talent and expertise to create this album of heart and passion, an album that oozes pure class and hypnotic melody. Very highly recommended!
on 16 July 2003
i honestly didn't think those heaven 17 boys had it in them!! A beautiful electronica/ambient/chill out album which is surely going to become a cult classic.
sorely underated i guess because of its difficult to market sound. Even the eco-friendly packaging is great - what more can i say?
a hugely ambitious and successful project! and a very welcome suprise to a lot of the rubbish in the charts at the moment.
Sultry, sexy and perfect to unwind to - an awesome achievement!
VINE VOICEon 4 October 2006
I bought this album on the strength of a few tracks that were included in the excellent Seamless Recordings (Bargrooves) compilations 'Escapism' Vols. 1 & 2. Have to say, I've not been disappointed at all. Glenn Gregory and Keith Lowndes have been around a long time as Heaven 17 and ABC respectively back in the 80s, and it's obvious they've got a great ear for a tune or two. The melodies here are often sublime, with ambient chillout being the overall theme - a world away from their pop past.

The album reeks class and is extremely well produced - as you'd expect from such 'old hands'. Don't buy this if you're expecting anything other than cool chillout that washes over you. A couple of other reviewers seem to have expected something else - I don't know why. Even so, there's more than enough to keep the listener interested, and songs such as the brilliant 'Starshine' and the exquisite 'Falling' make sure you don't drift off into ambient bliss.

So why 4 stars? Because it's an excellent album but not great. The title track is a bit of a disappointment. It's electro-heavy and sounds like someone twiddling knobs and buttons in a studio to me - maybe it's a grower. Also, the inclusion of the classic Joy Division song 'Love Will Tear us Apart' is a little incongruous. Beautifully done, but doesn't quite fit with the rest of the album for me. In spite of this, the album is worth a go as the overall quality of the music makes up for any minor shortcomings.
on 23 December 2004
Where to start?!...I bought this album online after seeing them play live at a club in London - the music sounds as magnificant on record as it did during their hypnotic live set. I haven't left the house without this c.d. for 2 months, if there's any justice in the world 'honeyroot' are gonna have a MASSIVE future. If you ever take a piece of advice in your life - BUY THIS RECORD.......NOW.
on 29 July 2003
Supremely chilled out, wonderfully musical and an extremely beautiful record. This is an album that should be in everyone's collection - hypnotic, mysterious and ultimately rewarding. Much more than just electronica - of which i am usually not a fan - this is an exceptional record. BUY IT!! nuff said
on 23 June 2003
I bought this album for various reasons 1) I was an original fan of Heaven 17 (penthouse and pavement etc) but also because Q gave it a 4 star rating, and I thought let's check it out.
The comparisons to Leftfield are justified - however there is more than an influnence from French muso's AIR. Bottom line is this is miles away from Heaven 17 and not a bad thing as times have changed- but if you want an album that is perfect for driving along those long windy roads on a summer's day with the roof down, it'll be hard to beat! Well worth an investigation.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 July 2004
Usually I dont go for this type of music, but after hearing their single "falling", I was very intrigued to hear more, so I bought the album, and I LOVE IT! My favourite of all is the song that led me to the album "falling," it is a beautiful song that takes you away from here to another world, and seems to lay down how you feel when u are in love with someone.
Other great tracks are the dancy "sweet as honey" and the computery sound of "sound echo location". To sum up, a great album to wack on when chilling out after a hard day's work.
on 26 September 2012
I bought this CD on the strength of the bonus track 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' as listed by Amazon. I received the CD as described/pictured, but it did not have the track. What happened to it?
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 February 2004
I bought this cd after hearing Falling and being absolutley blown away by it, thinking the rest of the cd would be in a similar vein I took the brave step in buying it and was really excited when it arrived last week. Unlike all the above reviews unfortunatley for me it has been a real waste of money. My musical tastes are quite varied, but this washed over me and I didn't even notice when the cd had ended. My advice would be to check out all the tracks first if you are thinking of buying this album and then decide, the packaging is very tasteful, but I found the music bland and wishy washy, probably not going to be popular with the other reviewers
0Comment4 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse