5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 17 May 2013
Roanna (Hanwell, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Love this programme. Always find David Attenborough programmes visually stunning and very interesting to watch. When this programme was on tv made sure I was watching it and now I have it on DVD love to sit on a Sunday afternoon and watch it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully made., 8 April 2013
Bought this because of a love of mammals and also because anything by David Attenborough is quality no matter what the subject is, I wasn't disappointed, very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Purely Brilliant, 28 Mar. 2013
These repackaged DVD's are a real boon for wildlife enthusiasts like myself, I have been collecting them all and this helps keep the costs down. Another brilliant series from the BBC, well done

5.0 out of 5 stars a must have for all zoologists..., 2 Dec. 2004
This review is from: Life of Mammals [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
what can i say David Attenborough knocks out another amazing set of DVDs using that soothing voice of his to explain animal behaviour, physiology, characteristics i.e. all the who, what, why, when and wheres. A multitude of locations are visited ranging from the icy winds of the antarctic to the deep cavernous jungles of the amazon to discover wierd and wonderful species of mammals. The photography is amazing and some of the events witnessed breakthrough...
If you even have a vague interest in biology then this will simply whett yr appetite and leave u gasping for more knowledge... buy it :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch in wonder!, 23 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Life of Mammals [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
This was a fantastic series and I would also recommend the book of the same title which I recieved for christmas.
David Attenborough has a magical quality to his voice which draws you in and you seem to catch on to his wonderful enthusiasm for whichever creature he is bringing to us.
This is also a great series for nature loving children and is presented in clear language with some breathtaking footage. A must buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars David Attenborough, 11 July 2010
This review is from: Life of Mammals [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
this is another part of the David Attenborough collection it gives the veiwer a good idear of animals which are rare and not seen very often. it makes intersting vewing

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive documentary on earth's most succesful species, 6 Feb. 2003
This review is from: Life of Mammals [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
Yesterday evening (Feb.5,'03) I sat through the last episode of The Life of Mammals on BBC1. Switching off the TV, I was convinced that this had to be the most impressive documentary series on nature and life, more particularly on mammals, for the moment the most succesful species on the planet. It is next to unbelievable that, after the myriads of documentaries on practically every animal, Attenborough still manages to come up with a documentary that never ceases to amaze. And this is not only because many images were first-timers. I guess it is because it focuses on animals that are closest to us, and are therefore often regarded as less 'exotic', and because this series proves us dead wrong in that respect, that this is such an amazing piece of film. But there's more:
Despite the fact that the images range from great to downright unbelievable, this is perhaps not the single feature that makes this series unique. It is the way the story is told. There's of course the never-topped David Attenborough. But, because the story loosely unfolds around the evolutionary stages in the life of mammals, AND at the same time manages to pull it of to show you the whole of the variety of mammals around the world without losing track of the scope of each episode, you get a real glimpse of what biodiversity means. Furthermore, the series really makes the case of evolutionary theory in a cristal clear way. The in and of itself very simple principle of evolution often gets misinterpreted, e.g. when one starts to think of evolution as having a 'goal'. Since the main issue here is de power to adapt of mammals, the focus is, more than ever, on the importance of the environment as the steering force towards either many specialised species or lesser generalists, continuously flowing from one mode to the other.
What's more, the series really makes it clear how evolution gradually has shifted from selection on the basis of innate predispositions, to selection on the basis of the ability to learn during the lifetime, which makes a species much more able to adapt itself to environmental pressures and, in the end, enables them to overcome them. And then, at the end of the series, which focuses on the great apes and, ultimately, us humans, the whole story draws together superbly. I wondered how they would pull it of: would they preach about impending doom due to humanity's estrangement of its own nature, or would they just sing the hosanna of this marvelous little zoo we live in? Instead, Attenborough avoids these pitfalls. On the one hand he makes it clear that our behaviour and the way we treat our planet is nothing but the very natural consequence of evolutionary pressures that, for the moment, have put us on top of the pyramid, and this in a relatively short span of time. On the other hand, he does suggest that, if it were only BECAUSE we top the pyramid, we do have to take care that this environment which is responsible for who and what we are doesn't crumble under the pressure of its own success-story. Maybe it's about time that we think about constraining our own numbers?
In short, this series is a must for anyone with even a passing interest in the very nature of life in all its diversity or anyone needing arguments to convince people of the why of caring for nature. I'll buy it as soon as it's out. And I knew that from the third episode. A classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another masterpiece, 18 Jun. 2012
P. A. Roberts - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life of Mammals [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
It's an " Attenborough" series so that says it all. I find that his voice is so relaxing that I have been known to nod off momentarily. Sorry Sir David, nothing personal !

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 9 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Life of Mammals [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
This is a good product. I like it. This is a good product. I like it. This is a good product. I like it. This is a good product. I like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars classic, 26 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Life of Mammals [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
another David Attenborough classic very education and well filmed and presented well buy it and enjoy it I did again and again

Life of Mammals [DVD] [2002]
Life of Mammals [DVD] [2002] by David Attenborough (DVD - 2003)