5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars - for all the wrong reasons!
Published on 20 July 2005 by Trevor Willsmer

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor.
Published on 18 July 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars - for all the wrong reasons!, 20 July 2005
Trevor Willsmer (London, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dreamcatcher [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Dreamcatcher almost gives Lifeforce a run for its money in the greatest unintentional comedy ever made stakes. I had to rewind whole chunks of the movie to check my eyes weren't deceiving me: oh, if only I hadn't had the flu the one week it played over here - to have seen this one with an audience! After a solid opening its descent into insanity is so rapid and so unashamed that you could never mistake it for a good film but still end up loving it more than many an undisputed classic because it's just so much fun. At times you even find yourself wondering if Lawrence Kasdan made it as a drunken dare. If so, all I can say is get that man another dozen drinks, and fast!

This fantastic (in every sense) movie has everything - Ripleys and s***weasels, Damian Lewis doing a comedy English accent whenever he's possessed by the alien 'Mr Grey', Morgan Freeman with crazy giant white eyebrows that even David Hemmings would have envied waxing lyrical about John Wayne's gun, Tom Sizemore seeing those aliens long before the effects boys put them in the picture, a s***weasel trying to bite Timothy Olyphant's dick off, the toilet scene from hell and more farting in a single motion picture since Blazing Saddles. The only thing that was missing was the gratuitous nudity from Mathilda May, but hey, maybe they're holding that back for the sequel. I am truly content to live in a world where multinational corporations spend tens of millions of dollars on such films. Definitely the most joyful and entertaining film I've seen this year.

The DVD extras are nothing to write home about, but do watch out for one great outtake at the end of the deleted scenes section.

4.0 out of 5 stars Give it a try, 23 Jan. 2008
G. Hurst "'Gazrocker'" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreamcatcher [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Maybe because of my advanced years I tend to be a little bit harder to please when it comes to horror, shocks, etc. I have seen so many 'scary' films I find it harder and harder to be made to sit on the edge of my seat.
There is no point in trying to add to previous reviews in terms of storyline etc., so all I will say is.....this is a very tense film, there are some comical moments, the acting is good, you do get attached to the characters....and yes it is a bit unbelievable at times, but it did have me on the edge on my seat, so just enjoy it.
Sometimes it's good to set your mind free, forget about logical, believable story lines, and just enjoy a good film. This IS a good film. Give it a try.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor., 18 July 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Dreamcatcher [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I came to this movie fresh, having heard nothing about it, not even knowing what it was about. Nor have I read the book. I should mention that I tend to be quite forgiving of mediocre SF/fantasy movies - I don't care if the story is a little implausible, or the acting is a bit dodgy now and then, or if it isn't totally original... as long as I'm absorbed for a couple of hours then I'm satisfied. I don't expect every movie I see to be a masterpiece.
The first twenty minutes were promising, four guys with ESP powers, all suffering in some way because of it - and I settled down to watch a character study develop. Then half an hour in it suddenly turned into an alien invasion movie. Was I supposed to buy that the only four ESP gifted humans on the planet just happened to trip over aliens? Well ok, so now I was expecting an Evil Dead style cottage in the woods standoff with aliens vs heros with ESP. Then the military showed up, and large sections of the movie followed them instead of the four guys...
I won't go on. There is something like four different and totally mismatched movie plots bolted onto this mess. Why were the guys ESP talents set up in the first act? In what way did those talents contribute to the resolution of the third act? Why were the military involved? In what way did _they_ help the resolution? Why on earth did one of the guys repeatedly risk his life to reach a toothpick? Why did people stand and gaze in wonder at the CGI monsters when they should have been running like hell?
I see that some have recommended that people read the book in order to understand the film. I cannot understand how anyone could say that and still award the film high marks: it seems to me self evident that if the film is any good then it will stand on its own.

4.0 out of 5 stars there were enough good elements to make me curious about the book, 20 Oct. 2014
I have a soft spot for this movie after reading the novel of the same name. I actually saw the movie before reading the book and although there was definitely some weird stuff in the film, there were enough good elements to make me curious about the book.

There are obviously some changes from the novel as you would expect (a lot of the book takes place inside the head of Jonesey so I can understand why they focused on that less. One of the strangest changes is that Duddits is actually an alien from a different species to the antagonists whereas in the book, he was just psychic (the Dreamcatcher).

I know this movie is bad, they really messed up the adaption but I like it anyway - probably because I enjoy seeing the characters that I loved in the book up on the screen. Let's just file this movie under 'guilty pleasure'

3.0 out of 5 stars Schlock horror, 9 May 2015
This review is from: Dreamcatcher [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Despite including Morgan Freeman and Damian Lewis in its cast, this visceral Sci-fi horror movie based on the Stephen King novel of the same name is pretty average. Four school friends acquire supernatural powers after rescuing a kid with special needs from a gang of bullies, and as they reach adulthood, they find themselves somehow drawn together again.
Cue the discovery of something more hideous and powerful than they can ever imagine, and a dawning realisation that they were given their extraordinary powers for just this moment.
The film has a streak of madness running through it, however we're not talking Cronenberg madness - rather the loopy, 'unintentionally' hilarious Ben Stiller sort. Director Kasdan's previous credits include The Empire Strikes Back...he shoulda' stuck with 'serious' fantasy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Blasé, 20 April 2015
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Interesting how you can pick popular writer and great actors and come up with the blasé film.

I hope and I'm pretty sure that Stephen King's book is a lot better than what they did to this movie turning it into a formula us against them who's the bad guy movie. It was much better done in the remake of "The Thing" (1982). What they did have that was lost in the remake of the thing was the psychic side which I'm sure is due to Stephen King's and put.

Yes Morgan Freeman was just as mean and nasty lending gravitas as he usually is in these movies and we all love to cheer him on but it really never contributed that much to this on.

I suggest you read the book to see if it's any better and forget about the movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top class, 19 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Dreamcatcher [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Great movie with top notch cast,well written keeps your interest throughout played with humour great direction can recommend highly great way to spend a couple of hours

5.0 out of 5 stars Why the bad reviews??? Uhhh?, 9 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Dreamcatcher [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I think this is amazing - I'm open minded and a bit of a dreamer, like a twist and a mental escape.....my mate thinks it is dreadful..............go figure?

I really rate this, don't always trust reviews, especially when something is unique like this....sure, a marvel film will always get a 7/8 of 10 due to its predictability (big budget, nice effects, hunky guy, hot chick, bad guy, ploy, climax, happy ending)

This is love or hate.

This is a bit like "The Thing" in respect to twists and bizzareness.....

Very worth a watch...

1.0 out of 5 stars WOW., 4 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Dreamcatcher [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
being a huge fan of Stephen and owning a vast amount of his dvds already i decided to add this to the collection.....all i can say is WOW this is up there with some of the worst filmography i have ever seen it was absolutely terrible the whole idea was just daft. surly he was joking when he wrote this?? it must be a joke surly because its soooooo terrible. the movie was unbelievably bad the only positive of this movie was im a fan of tom sizemore and he had a role other than that this film is utter TRASH!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, 15 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Dreamcatcher [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Shame it isn't slightly more like the book but still a lot more accurate than many of the book to films out there - great film

Dreamcatcher [DVD] [2003]
Dreamcatcher [DVD] [2003] by Lawrence Kasdan (DVD - 2004)