Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£13.02+ £1.26 shipping

on 27 August 2005
There's an essentially indie quality to this compilation soundtrack that echoes the film's originality. I bought the CD because I wanted to get hold of the Coldplay song that's in the film, albeit briefly, 'Don't Panic' - so I didn't know what else to expect apart from that.
Whoever put the album together seems to have taken great pains in making sure there was some less commercial material in there, choosing music for its affinity with the film rather than songs that would sell. Mind you, it packs those in too. 'The Weight' by Travis, a great cover ballad, and 'Bohemian Like You' by The Dandy Warhols.
If you're looking for new bands to get into, there's some inspiration here. The pseudo-rock song 'Not You' by a German band called Underwater Circus is an eminent addition to the CD, and they deserve more support. If you get interested in them via that song, you can order their debut album through the website (easy to find) - I haven't got that far yet but I'd definitely check them out if I had more money.
'Anyway' by Jelly Planet and 'Youth Is Wasted On The Young' by Driftland are two more songs you're not likely to have heard, not to mention 'Frozen Tears' by Somersault. The first is upbeat, vibrant and the second beautiful in its melodic philosophies and organ instrumentals.
The tempo varies throughout the album, bands like Travis and Coldplay up against The Dandy Warhols and Jelly Planet - and even the melancholy 'Frozen Tears' to deepen the emotional qualities. There's a song for most moods and fresh sounds that could introduce you to some undiscovered gems if you're a big music fan, and use movie soundtracks as a gateway to new bands/sounds.
Highly recommended if you're into your music, 10 great songs carefully compiled - I have to say that I have never paid attention to the last 3 instrumentals, and they are wasted to me on the CD, but you may think otherwise. The transition from The Dandies' 'Boys Better' to the score music is too extreme in my opinion.
Quite hard to find, this CD is a great addition to your collection. Worth the money. A sparkling gateway.