5.0 out of 5 stars If you want just one or two of Ella's CDs...
If you want just one or two of Ella's CDs ... then it should be this "Gold - All her Greatest Hits" and "Ella & Louis Together" (and if you can have the third, please make it "The Complete Ella In Berlin: Mack The Knife" [Live Album])

Published on 5 Sep 2007 by Hiro

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a good collection of Ella's songs.
It's not a good collection of Ella's songs. Some very old remastered recordingd of poor quality. Sorry! it's on my returns list or to be passed on to a charity shop.
Published 1 month ago by A. Parsons

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want just one or two of Ella's CDs..., 5 Sep 2007
Hiro "Tokyoite" (West Hampstead, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gold - All Her Greatest Hits (Audio CD)

I have most of her CDs, and I can tell that the person who assembled "Gold - All her Greatest Hits" and "Ella and Louis Together" loves Ella so deeply. The songs he picked and the song order are of the absolute perfection. If you are after compilation CDs of Ella, look no further.

This "Gold - All Her Greatest Hits" is a wonderful CD if you want music that has full of passion, elegance and serenity at the same time. Specially. her 'Manhattan' is the best of all (naturally). I have heard this song by many other singers, but no one has ever matched her performance (even my hot favourite Stacey Kent...I hate to admit this). You can sense Ella's love for New York, and her soft voice makes you long to be there.

You don't need me to tell you this, but "Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye", "Bewitched" and "These Foolish Things" are songs that you should not miss if you like music at all. Please listen to these song on your Ipod in a quiet room, then you will realise how beautifully Ella sing once again. You will understand why Frank Sinatra was heard to say " Ella Fitzgerald is as good a musician and vocalist as anyone is going to hear for the next one hundred years"

Open your fridge and pour yourself a glass of nice cold beer. Open the window, and sit by the window. Close your eyes, and flow with the music. All the troubles you have in your mind will be washed away. Be content for now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music To Fall In Love With, 20 Mar 2003
This review is from: Gold - All Her Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Few artists can release an album of greatest hits that truly are great. Ella Fitzgerald is without a doubt one of them. A woman who can hold listeners in a trance from the first note out of her mouth and an artist who can hold her own in a duet with Louis Armstrong. I adored this album from start to finish and I will adore it every time I listen to it. Five stars seems weak for a collection of masterpieces and I cannot reccommend Gold highly enough to do it justice. Absoluetly wonderful - a joy to listen to.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Ella Feast............!, 28 Mar 2003
Philip Roberts (Brighton - UK) - See all my reviews
Wow!!
Ella Fitzgerald has long been a favourite blues/jazz singer of mine, and has been a calming influence on long drives many times. Her amazing voice, with depth and soul can cut through a bad day like a knife through butter. And this album, two discs of some of her best-known hits, is a real gem!
Ella is timeless. This album carries almost 40 of her songs in perfect harmony to each other. 'Lets fall in love', 'summertime', 'the lady is a tramp', stormy weather'. puttin' on the Ritz' and 'isn't this a lovely day' are to name but a few. The whole album is like a huge box of chocolates, where there aren’t any that you don't like and leave in the box. I hope that analogy works!
If you are an Ella fan, this can only be the must buy album of the year, and if you are not, well I am sure you will appreciate the strength of her voice and find a place for 'Gold' This album playing in the background at a dinner party, or while you are soaking in the bath after a long day, or like me, played in the car while battling with the jams is the perfect way to chill and relax.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Ella compilation, 5 Oct 2004
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Gold - All Her Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Ella's career was slow to get going but she long ago became a legend. This compilation of some of her best music contains some of her finest music from her peak years. Most of Ella's songs were not originals, but were covers of classics written by Irving Berlin, Cole Porter and other famous songwriters of their generation.
The set includes two classic duets with Louis Armstrong (Summertime, They can't take that away from me) and many other songs that Ella is remembered for, among them being Let's fall in love, Every time we say goodbye and Manhattan.
I only have eyes for you, originally written in the thirties, later became a rock'n'roll hit for the Flamingos in the fifties and a pop hit for Art Garfunkel in the seventies. Georgia on my mind, written by Hoagy Carmichael in the thirties, became much more popular when Ray Charles revived it in the sixties. Blue moon was revived by Elvis Presley in the fifties and again by the Marcels in the sixties.
Other famous songs include A fine romance, The very thought of you, Cheek to cheek, Lady is a tramp, I get a kick out of you, I love Paris, But not for me, Blue skies, Someone to watch over me, I've got you under my skin, Stormy weather, Bewitched, Night and day, Let's face the music and dance and many others.
Ella's versions of all these songs are brilliant. I'm sure that the compilers of this set must have had a difficult job deciding what to leave out but all the essentials are here. As an introduction to Ella's music, this is outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'S Wonderful, Magical and Elegant, 24 Oct 2005
This review is from: Gold - All Her Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
It doesn't get any more elegant than this in the world of music. Everything about this album is so beautiful and magical you'll fall in love with it instantly. Ella's vocals are easily some of the most beautiful, distinctive and memorable ever heard in the 20th Century. There is plenty of variety here too - from the upbeat to the moving, this Double CD has it all. This is definatley the best Ella compilation you can buy, and she is such an all time great that any music lover should treat themselves with this rare gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical magic, 25 Feb 2005
Ms. H. Sinton "dragondrums" (Ingleby Barwick. U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gold - All Her Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic double album featuring 39 tracks sung by the incomparable Ella Fitzgerald. From the upbeat 'Get Happy' and 'Puttin' on the Ritz' to the hauntingly lovely 'Summertime' sang with the equally talented Louis Armstrong.
There's something here for every taste and every mood. This is a 'must have' for any lover of Jazz/Blues or indeed anyone who just loves music. Lay back, close your eyes and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the best, 15 April 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Gold - All Her Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This double album has some of the best tracks ever recorded by this outstanding artist. From torch songs to show tunes there is something for every Ella Fitzgerald fan.
The live version of Mack the Knife from Berlin is fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ella is just so amazing, 15 Aug 2005
This review is from: Gold - All Her Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I have been putting my CDs onto my iPod - have been listening to Heifitz - Bach on Violin and Cello - Bob Dylan Albums and Dire Straits and loads of others - but the only album that stopped me dead in my tracks and forced me to listen - and brought me to tears was this one.
Ella's voice is like gold - the greatest of songs she sings and she makes each and everyone hers.
Any person who loves music just must buy and own this album - it is just amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ella Fan, 22 Jan 2010
This review is from: Gold - All Her Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This review is actually by my husband. "While I am not an expert on Ella Fitzgerald there are certain songs, such as "Manhattan" and several others, that I wanted to have on CD as I have always loved them when I heard them on the radio, but had never got around to buying. This double CD set has all the songs that I wanted plus a lot of others that I find I like as much. There is no rapturous applause from an audience followed by pauses and "thank yous" from the star that make me feel cheated by some compilation. The accompaniment is sensitive to the singer, unlike the intrusive Nelson Riddle grandstanding that detracted so much from some of Frank Sinatra's recordings. These tracks are atmospheric, beguiling, and sensitive, all with beautifully clear diction."

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't beat the classics!, 17 July 2004
This review is from: Gold - All Her Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This is a pretty indispensible album not only for any Ella fan, but also for any music fan. She pretty much covers all the classics from Gershwin, to Rodgers and Hart to Cole Porter. Her performance is unsurpassable as there probably isn't a better female jazz singer than Ella.
The only fault I can find is that 'The Way You Look Tonight' is missing, probably my favourite Ella Fitzgerald recording. But nevertheless everyone should buy this album!

ARRAY(0xac654a5c)

Gold - All Her Greatest Hits
Gold - All Her Greatest Hits by Ella Fitzgerald (Audio CD - 2003)