4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 23 Sep 2009
Skott "Skott" (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Make Me a Pallet (Audio CD)
I first heard of Mississippi John Hurt on a compilation album and decided to hear some more. I didn't want to spend too much so opted for this low priced CD. I thought it was brilliant. I have since bought more of his stuff and have not been disappointed. I do however prefer this live CD to the one titled "Live". not only did the latter cost me a lot more, it also feels a bit sterile as if the artist and the audience aren't jelling. In short if you are looking at getting a Live Mississippi John Hurt CD I would go for this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Add a dash of ice, 6 Mar 2013
This review is from: Make Me a Pallet (Audio CD)
Superb introduction to the man. Actually I would say the only CD by missi hurt you need. Wonderful and unique guitar style if a little limited in terms of variety between songs. You'll struggle to have a better hour on a Summers day if you play this through your cans, ice some cider and a slide into a comfy chair. Nobody's fault but mine arrrrrr

5.0 out of 5 stars Aint Nobody's Business &/or Make Me A Pallet MJH live, 7 Nov 2012
This review is from: Make Me a Pallet (Audio CD)
I came to hear Mississippi John Hurt via my interest in learning finger picking blues. I bought this album and Candy Man Blues together, of the two I like this one better because it is LIVE and captures the lovely nature of this man. It is full of the songs that I have got to know via YouTube. It is a great album and with twenty-one tracks is worth buying but buy the Make Me A Pallet album as it is a lot cheaper and they are both the same album, I know because iTunes has listed it as Aint Nobody's Business. As another reviewer commented MJH's style is more of a gentle folk-blues style but with great finger picking plus he has a lovely voice. I love the driving blues alternate bass line that is indicative of his style of music. This is the stuff that people like Dylan and Stephan Grossman heard and tried to emulate when they were young, if it was good to them it is certainly very good for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blues CD, 8 Feb 2013
This review is from: Make Me a Pallet (Audio CD)
The work of John Hurt has fascinated me for many years. This CD arrived in good time (very), and was well wrapped. I hope to buy more from this source.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hurt so good, 29 Jan 2013
GlynLuke (York UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Make Me a Pallet (Audio CD)
Mississippi John Hurt (b. John Smith Hurt 1892/3-1966) sang his own low-key brand of folk-blues, a quiet and dignified man who nevertheless influenced just about everybody who ever picked up a guitar and attempted to finger-pick a folk or blues song. I remember seeing New York blues scholar Stefan Grossman live in the late `60s, who certainly learnt from Hurt, and who played some of his songs, such as I`m Satisfied, and the lovely My Creole Belle, both included on this live concert from bargain label Hallmark.
What you don`t get is any track listings other than song titles, or any kind of documentation at all, which I suppose is why it`s such a bargain, and why Hallmark have always been a byword for `cheap and cheerful`.
However, the sound is more than adequate, though nothing special, and Mississippi John sings and plays for an hour or so to an appreciative live audience (we are not told where) with his customary wit and gently beguiling musicality.
At the price, this is well worth getting. Twenty-one songs, some of them classics such as Candy Man, Frankie and Albert, Casey Jones, and the title track. Blues doesn`t always have to be overtly emotive or overwrought, and John Hurt was one man who was content to sing his folk-blues softly and with sly humour, finger-picking on his guitar like the modest master he surely was.
It`s good to have these recordings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mississippi John Hurt, 14 May 2010
This review is from: Make Me a Pallet (Audio CD)
If you are new to blues music this is a good album to start with. I bought it for my son to let him hear the music of a past generation and he loves it, no ten minute guitar solos etc. A good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Oct 2014
Great

Make Me a Pallet
Make Me a Pallet by Mississippi John Hurt (Audio CD - 2005)