5.0 out of 5 stars it's SOOOOO good!
Published on 15 Nov. 2004 by gillruane28

3.0 out of 5 stars Chinese subtitles?
The film is a great old classic and my wife wanted a copy so I saw it on Amazon. The delivery was prompt and the film is OK, I selected the English version but when I played it I found it had Chinese (I think) subtitles.
Published 14 months ago by Mr. Stephen Ward

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars it's SOOOOO good!, 15 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Born Free [VHS] [1966] (VHS Tape)
i have only ever seen "born free" just the once, which was a few years ago on T.V and i must say that i thoroughly enjoyed watching every moment of it. the part i loved the best was when elsa was released back into the wild and george and joy kept track of her for a few days just until they knew she wouldnt come to any harm. i am a musician myself and i must say that the music was absolutely awe-inspiring, beautifully written and very very moving, even to this day i still walk along to university singing "born free, as free as the wind blows". it is just an amazing thing of film history and has given me the idea to go to africa on safari!

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't beat this film, 28 Jan. 2004
C. Muncey "mopedgirl2003" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Born Free [VHS] [1966] (VHS Tape)
I first saw this film at the cinema 30 odd years ago, and have watched it many times since. I just love it, it is uplifting yet sad, I smiled and cried throughout. The fact that Elsa meets a wild mate and has cubs, but also that she remembers the Adamson family and often visits them, is so emotional and wonderful. It is like she is thanking them for setting her free.
Highly Recommend it, and also joining the Born Free Foundation to help other animals in distress, through human hands.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best Animal Film Ever, 18 Jan. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Born Free [VHS] [1966] (VHS Tape)
If you like things such as Free Willy or The Great Panda Story. You will love this. Although its a bit old fashioned, and they talk strangely you get drawn in to the story. It's funny as well as intruiging. I would say it would make a great family film. It brought my family together one sunday I know that. This is a must see.
by a very much impressed 12 year old.

5.0 out of 5 stars A touching family flim, 1 Aug. 2010
Kona (Emerald City) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Born Free [VHS] [1966] (VHS Tape)
As this timeless classic opens, George Adamson (Bill Travers), a game warden in Kenya, brings three orphan lion cubs home to be cared for by his wife, Joy (Virginia McKenna). Raised as pets, two of them are eventually sent away to zoos, but the third, Elsa, was especially loved and they decided to keep her. Of course, that soon became impossible, so they set about rehabilitating her back into the wild knowing she might not survive, but feeling she must have the chance to live free.

In the 1950s, no one had ever reintroduced an animal to the wild, and the Adamses were the first animal lovers to do so. Travers and McKenna are wonderful as the couple and they became animal activists after the filming of the movie. Geoffrey Keene (the 'Minister of Defence' in six James Bond movies) gives able support as George's boss. The Kenyan landscape photography is simply breathtaking and the lions, at various stages of development, are adorable.

John Barry won Academy Awards for both his score and song, which are truly iconic and guaranteed to have you reaching for the tissues. This beautiful, inspiring, and unforgettable movie is a must-see for animal lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Born Free DVD - Virginia McKenna and Bill Travers, 10 Jan. 2011
H. Renshaw "Heulwen Renshaw" (Anglesey, North Wales. U.K.) - See all my reviews
I saw Born Free years ago when it was first shown in the cinema. It's a really wonderful film which brought back memories of when I first saw it.
In the last year I have been fascinated with the true story of 'Christian the Lion', I have never come across anything so moving, it really got to me in a serious way. I bought the DVD's showing him and his owners - John Rendall and Anthony Bourke. I've been captivated ever since. I even began watching films of African lions...in the sheer hope that maybe I would come across one of his sibblings! I then saw your advert for 'Born Free' and I had to have it, I bought one for my daughter too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Opinion of Born Free, 28 Mar. 2014
I love this film and have bought it for my grandchildren because my son and his wife are managing Joy's Camp in Shaba, kenya

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely, 'nice' video, 23 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Born Free [VHS] [1966] (VHS Tape)
Bought ready for my 2 year old grandson when he grows up a bit more and will appreciate this lovely, true life story of Elsa the lioness. As soon as it arrived, I watched it, on my own, in the lounge ... it brought back such lovely memeories of Joy Adamson - a real 'ooh aah' video ...

4.0 out of 5 stars Born free DVD, 29 Jan. 2013
Initially i had problems with the picture breaking up but it turned out to be a failing DVD player. The only other fault was that the legal bit at the beginning, before the film, was in Chinese, strange but not a problem. Old fashioned film, but very entertaining.

3.0 out of 5 stars Chinese subtitles?, 27 Jan. 2014
Mr. Stephen Ward (Hove, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Born Free, 4 Mar. 2011
Mr. Leonard J. Newnham (Farnborough. England) - See all my reviews
I have never seen this film even though I knew all about the story. Really enjoyed the film, surprised though that no copies were available in the Uk and had to import a NTSC copy. No problem thanks to Amazon.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Born Free [VHS] [1966]
Born Free [VHS] [1966] by Tom McGowan (VHS Tape - 2003)