Format: Audio CDChange

on 18 December 2003
The other reviews for this album are spot on. Listening to it just once is not really an option, it makes me feel alive everytime I put it on. I had never heard of them until March when i was browsing the publications for a band to go and see. I thought I'd take a chance on Buffseeds, and man am I glad I did? Yes is the answer! It would be great if this band recieved the commercial success their talent warrants,however I believe that the charm of this band lies in everyone's belief that they saw them first. To me Buffseeds are mine because I took a chance on them and was duly rewarded. I ordered the album the very next day. I know that when I go to see them play at some small venue, it won't be packed out like it should be, but the band will give it all they've got, whether they are playing to 200, 20 or 2 people, then as soon as they've finished they'll race to the back and sell their own merchandise. So back to the album, it's addictive, each track holds its own, it is technically brilliant, yet is still largely ignored by the establishment (I did notice Who Stole The Weekend in Teachers, mind!). If you care about music, buy this album, then recommend it to your friend, and allow them to buy it also. I can't recommend it enough, it is definitely my album of the year. And probably of next year too!
on 3 August 2003
why haven't you heard of the buffseeds? well for a start they don't have the style and the cool band name of 'the thrills', this album doesn't contain any monster hits like 'electic six's gay bar' and the music doesnt grab you by the balls like a 'coldplay' album. and yet, i bought this album in march when it came out and still beleive it to be the album of the year. my reasoning is simple, when you strip away everything from a band, their look, their album sleeve (and buffseed's one does look like a first year undergraduate's first attempt and a cd cover assignment) then what you're left with is the music. this is where buffseeds come into their own. sparkle me, the opening number has a lovely melody, a soaring tune and yet understated, who stole the weekend the unquestionable 'single' of this album is a catchy 'singalong' number which is no bad thing and then my personal favourite don't fret which is a fast paced song and the best track on here. but they're all great tracks and work brilliantly, each one placed in exactly the right spot. this album is like marvin gaye's what's going on? it's like buying a packet of fizzy cola bottles in that it simply has to be listened to in its entirety, you cannot just select one track, because you find yourself listening to the whole thing. there, i've compared this album to the greatest album of all time, it is the album of the year, and when you go out and buy it, you can tell all of your friends that you were the first one to like them, and you'll look really cool and everyone will love you, but i'll know i gave you the recommendation and we'll both know the truth wont we?
on 19 July 2003
It will always remain a mystery to me, how some albums that dont deserve to sell one copy get pushed, and sell bucket loads.
Yet albums like this one sit on shelves end up in bargain buckets and the talented musicians that created them fade into obscurity, whilst we are left with the boybands and the H and Claire's of this manufactured musical landscape.
This album is from start to finish, haunting, quirky and often beautiful. Think Turin Brakes with a female vocalist, now for me that seems like a sound worth listening too.hopefully after recent appearances at Glastonbury, and the forthcoming single Sparkle Me things will start to kick off for these guys, as far as I'm concerned they deserve it.
Wrapping up, the album as a lovely sound, well crafted both musically and lyrically and deserves your attention and hard earned pennies.
on 3 December 2003
This is a band which, from the start, have that tingle factor, you know when you listen to something and it is so hauntingly beautiful you just can forget about it? well, this whole album is amazing, i fully recommend you buy it, you wont regret it
on 7 October 2003
It's a shame that more people won't get a chance to listen to this wonderful piece of music (the only reason I heard of them was by chance when browsing Amazon) because it is one of the finest albums of recent years, a phrase that is used all too often to describe the latest release, but one that is apt here.
It's hard to put The Buffseeds into any one catagory (i guess you could call them pop alternative) but don't let that put you off, there is something here for everyone, upbeat catchy songs like the opener, Sparkle me or stunningly beautiful tunes like The Day She Fell to Earth and Hideaway.
It's such a shame to think that manafactured groups make millions of pounds, whilst music of this calibre lingers in the background and doesn't get the recognition it truly deserves. Trust me and buy this.
on 10 November 2003
I'm not going to go on forever as the other reviews pretty much spell out just how good this album is. In my opinion there isn't an album released this year to rival this album and I hope with the release of 'Sparkle Me' the Buffseeds will begin to get some of the credit they deserve. Every track is great, if you appreciate good music buy this album! You won't be disappointed.
on 27 October 2011
I've been a fan of Keiran's later band, iko, for years - i can't imagine i've gone so long as a month without listening to them since I was introduced to them about 4 or 5 years ago. After absorbing their two albums and as many of the extras I could find on their website I found myself craving new material so I decided to explore Buffseeds hoping I'd find a similar sound.

I was not disappointed.

It's recognisable as early work, definitely more "I am Zero" than "Ludo says Hi", but its not as primitive as I had worried about - really well produced and beautfully written songs. I'm definitely biased, Keiran's voice just fills me with goosebumps, but Iko, and now buffseeds, are my badly-kept-secret-pleasure. I feel it my duty to tell everyone about their work - i have to share the joy!

If you enjoyed it, definitely check out I am Zero and Ludo says Hi by Iko - it's a polished buffseeds, but with all the same heart and tranquil beauty.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The Buffseeds, a U.K. indie-rock band, are only just entering the music scene. But their full-length debut "Picture Show" is a very pretty album. Kieran Scragg's falsetto can be a bit distracting, but what comes after is a light, pensive little mix of rock and ballads.

A rhythm comes into the album from the very start: It opens with the sparkling, airy pop of "Sparkle Me." It's laid-back, but soars every now and then, on the back of a beautiful keyboard melody. On the other hand, "Casino" is gloom-rock, still soaring and exquisitely multilayered, given a few extra shoves with the echoing bass.

After that, the Buffseeds alternate between midtempo rock songs and ethereal pop ditties, both written to bittersweet lyrics about love, loss and loneliness. The latter sound a bit like Turin Brakes mixed with a bit of Mandalay -- very smooth and a bit folky, but laced with melancholy electronica.

Vocally, what news is there? At times it sounds like Scragg is torn between wanting to be Thom Yorke and Billy Corgan -- the music is more like Radiohead, but when the music swells, and he's really into what he's doing he lets rip like Corgan. It made me think, "Steady, boy, calm down."

That vague confusion is the only thing that keeps the Buffseeds' debut from being really outstanding. It needs a bit more musical complexity and passion -- THEN it will be really good. As it is, the midtempo rockers don't quite measure up to the airy, swirling Hammond ballads. They're pretty good and bittersweetly beautiful, but they're not quite there yet.

Kieran Scragg sounds completely androgynous here -- he may be the first singer I have heard with gender-bending vocals. Sometimes he sounds like a fey man, sometimes like a woman. It suits the shoegazer pop better than it does the rock songs, where he sounds like the music is going too fast for him to follow.

When the Buffseeds solidify their sound, then they will be an excellent band. Their debut "Picture Show" is a pretty, airy pop collection, and if the wrinkles were ironed out it would be outright beautiful.