5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, gentle, funny, genius.
Okay, I'm biased. I must have seen this film fifteen times before I was fifteen (and fifteen times since) but I still enjoy every moment. It's a film that can't help but be funny, full of characters who suffer from the same condition. The harder you squeeze this film the more charm oozes out and therein lies its magic. No tag-team of gag writers can write a film like...
Published on 21 Mar. 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware! no subtitles!
Now, before I get lynched I'm not saying this because I don't understand the Scottish accent, but I bought this classic film (which I would give 10 stars if it were possible) for my girlfriend, who's Dutch. Even though her English is perfect, she often watches dvd's with the subs on so she doesn't lose meaning because of regional/national accents.
I have never heard...
Published on 3 May 2005

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars At last excellent transfer for an excellent film., 8 May 2014
James Rowles (Barnstaple, DEVON United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gregory's Girl [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
The transfer for this blu ray was surprisingly much better than I expected - pinewood have restored it and it looks very very good and in the widescreen format. This is far far better than previous UK dvd releases of this wonderful film. The extras are also good including a decent commentary with Bill Forsyth and Mark Kermode.

Highly recommended - a decent treatment to an excellent british film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 80's classic film !, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Gregory's Girl [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I have waited a long time for this one to appear on Bluray, with all previous releases being quite dire. When the film first starts it is nice to see the BBFC certificate A is still intact , which is a nice touch and also they have left on the ITC "flowers" film distributors logo , but strangely this has lost it's sound which does spoil things a little, give this Youtube link a play and you will see what I mean [...] The transfer starts off a little disappointing for the opening credits, looking a bit blurry but as soon as they have finished things get much better with a mostly crisp and detailed picture throughout. The aspect ratio is now correct unlike previous releases and this is an essential purchase for anyone who likes this still hugely enjoyable film.
An 80's Classic !

5.0 out of 5 stars Bella Bella!, 11 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Gregory's Girl [DVD] [1981] (DVD)
This is a film that I could never tire of watching.
I live in the town, and went to the school, that it was filmed. I saw many of the scenes being filmed. I was refused my acting debut at the chip shop scene when the director said "no bikes today son". Never know I could have ended up in Hollywood!!
You may say then that I'm biased when I give this film 5 stars bu it is with all honesty that I say that i would give the film the same score regardless. It is so well observed, the one liners are great and (i don't think anyone has mentioned this) the music is top notch too.
Outstanding!
P.S.Why did Gregory say he was leaving the school and then walk into the schools swimming pool?

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes I loved this films as I spent about 4 years of ..., 6 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Gregory's Girl (Blu-ray)
Yes I loved this films as I spent about 4 years of my childhood living in Cumbernauld although I was never that familiar with Abronhill, I lived in Eastfield and was familiar with Seafar and the town center.
It is great to watch a film with very familiar surroundings but that isn't the only thing I enjoyed about this film, the characters and storyline just make it so great..it is just a joy to watch, only disappointment about the film itself it ends, which it has to at some point, so that is good. The boys and girls who acted in this film do a fantastic job and there are so many finny lines in the film too, like "it's no ma fault see the boss".. I am also Scottish so it is good to be watching something like this with people who have the same accent. It is a very good film too, but for me I get so much out of watching it...every time.
I had never seen it on blu ray, so I was pleased to see I could rent the blu ray from lovefilm/amazon....has a couple of interesting features...it also has an audio track of remastered audio..which I do not recommend using..because of 2 things..one the original audio is over all actually clearer and two..they change some of the naughty words, not that I enjoy naughty words but they are tampering with the original dialogue and..ok it is funnier with the naughty words. But over all I thoroughly enjoyed seeing this again..on blu ray....really funny film with a realistic storyline about Gregory fancying a girl at school, he finally gets a date but......won't say anymore hehe! highley recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars There's definitely something in the air tonight., 12 Jun. 2012
Spike Owen "John Rouse Merriott Chard" (Birmingham, England.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gregory's Girl [DVD] [1981] (DVD)
Gregory's Girl is written and directed by Bill Forsyth. It stars John Gordon Sinclair, Dee Hepburn and Clare Grogan. Music is scored by Colin Tully and cinematography by Michael Coulter.

The perils of school day love get the once over by Forsyth in a film that oozes simplicity of charm and understated warmth. Plot focuses on gawky teenager Gregory (J G Sinclair) who becomes infatuated by the latest addition to the school's football team, Dorothy! (Hepburn). As imbalanced hormones rage and awkwardness takes a hold, Gregory lunges from one sequence to another not getting any help from his equally awkward pals. Everyone, it seems, has their own quirky issues, while Forsyth drops in some delightfully off kilter touches to further emphasise the roller coaster ride of puppy love.

Performances are nailed on perfect. Sinclair proves adroit at physical comedy, his portrayal of shyness and yearning a real treat. Hepburn is deliberately coy as Dorothy, her athleticism to be applauded, and future Altered Images popstrel Grogan leaves a telling mark as the sexy joker in the pack. But it's Allison Forster as Gregory's kid sister Madeline who really is the surprise, precocious and deftly etched into the narrative, it's a key girl role that in young Foster's hands bridges the link between Gregory's emotional chaos and mental happiness.

Irresistible and enchanting movie. 8/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Enduring humour, 2 Feb. 2005
Mr. John Evans "jodelaviator" (Northamptonshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gregory's Girl [DVD] [1981] (DVD)
Great fun in the early '80s, of course. But how does Gregory's Girl stand up today? Well, it's a relief to say that the magic of this story and the brilliant acting have stood the test of time very well. The situations had me laughing within minutes and John Gordon Sinclair's portrayal of a gangling youth with an infatuation for a streetwise girl footballer is still a classic. This DVD is so cheap you should just add it to your next order. It still defines what a top comedy is all about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film ... a classic, 6 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Gregory's Girl [DVD] [1981] (DVD)
Great film ... a classic of it's the 1980s. Brilliantly directed and captured the feeling of those difficult teenage years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Gregory's Girl, 22 May 2009
Mr. B. Hayes "Bransky" (Dundee, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gregory's Girl [DVD] [1981] (DVD)
Quite simply Gregory's Girl is one of the finest British (and more specifically Scottish) films of all time...

Whimsical and made in 1981, it now looks a littled dated in terms of hairstyles and clothes -- however the story is timeless and looks at young love and dating in a Scottish town (Cumbernauld near Glasgow). Oh and there's also some school football in it!!!

John Gordon Sinclair is excellent as the awkward teenager Gregory (most young men will be able to identify with him!) and his first love Dorothy (Gregory's Girl) played by Dee Hepburn with long flowing blonde hair looks stunning (oh to be young again!). Claire Grogan as Susan is also as bubbly and as lovely as ever.

Be warned that the ending is very sudden, but satisfying none the less -- I won't give it away -- you'll need to watch the film!!!

As for the DVD, its in Fullscreen (4:3) format and the sound is only mono which is a little disappointing... However don't let it spoil your enjoyment -- what else can you get these days for less than £3.00!?

Thoroughy recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 16 July 2013
This review is from: Gregory's Girl [DVD] [1981] (DVD)
Well, this is my favourite film of all time, thought it was time to replace my VHS copy with the DVD.

Already watched this film about 50 times, will no doubt watch another 50 in the future

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Arriverderci Gordon, hurry back', 12 July 2013
This review is from: Gregory's Girl [DVD] [1981] (DVD)
I think that the professional northerner Stuart Maconie's somewhat grating memoir Cider With Roadies [2004] was overrated. However, in a short passage of that book the broadcaster/journalist manages to capture the winsome charm of this Scottish cult classic from the 1980s. He says that it is:

"A delightful, lemon sharp comedy about growing up on an estate in Cumbernauld.... I can easily recite every line of dialogue... Even now, twenty years on, I am still prone to throw choice nuggets into appropriate situations even though no one ever knows what I'm talking about. When an irksome individual leaves the room I will mutter - in bad Caledonian brogue - 'Arriverderci Gordon, hurry back'."

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›