1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars The funk gets deeper!, 26 Nov. 2001
Well what can I say that hasn't already been said?! Well, quite a bit seeing as how I'm the first to review this, but anway...

You don't have to be a vinyl junky, crate digger or even funk fan (well, maybe - but conversions are possible!) to appreciate this first album from the New Mastersounds. The first time I heard "Drop it down" I was convinced that it was some rare treasure from Keb Darge's Deep Funk chest. You'd think several hundred quid was handed over in exchange for a dusty old copy, one of only 3 left on the planet or the like. But no, its just as accessible to the wallet as it is to the ear. And spy fans will be shaken and stirred in the nicest way when Bondo Sama hits the speakers.

I only got this 3 days ago but already know its got so many gems that I'd heard before but never dreamt I'd own on cd, nor would have belived didn't come from 30 or 40 years ago.

Whether New Mastersounds are the UK's answer to Breakestra or Breakestra are the US's answer to New Mastersounds, both pay homage to funk's golden era while still sounding fresh and moving forward.

If you only buy one blah blah blah this year etc etc, but this time you've got to believe it.