5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Love
Amazing true story about a woman who would do anything to protect a group of animals she has fallen head over heals for. This movie is a good reminder of the forces that are out there and what all of us "animals" will do to protect what is important to us.

Published 22 months ago by Susan Appleby

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
A nice depiction of the life of Dian Fossey, but the production left me somewhat underwhelmed.
Published 8 months ago by Shaun

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Love, 17 May 2013
This review is from: Gorillas In The Mist [1988] [DVD] (DVD)

I cried my a** off watching this movie and saw myself doing the very same thing as Dian did. I would have done the very same things out of such anger. I would have been so mad but it wasnt the right thing to do. Still it is extremely hard to hold yourself back when your "family" is being attacked and slaughtered. Many would do the same in that situation.

Weaver, as always, stands out and delivers a master performance. I love the way she makes it so easy for people to understand why she would give up love with a potential partner, turn her back to protect the gorillas. As she said, "Im hooked, how can I give that up?" I must admit i would be the same. Thats how much i love animals and i havnt even worked with any, well not like this.

This movie reminds me of Instinct, with Anthony Hopkins. I always think of the message it throws at you. Movies are very cool when you can learn something from them to make yourself better or wiser. This movie did that for me.

Be warned this movie will make you really upset. When they took pucker away I nearly died with sadness. His little hand coming out of the crate and touching her face...my god nothing has ever hit that part of me harder then that scene. Very very sad scenes in this that will tear you up inside. But...

This movie isnt all sad, there are moments where you are laughing with tears rolling down your face its so heart warming. When you see the tiny little baby beating his chest and then falling over,just brilliant.

This movie should be watched by everyone but not everyone will be able to handle it. Prepare for a rollarcoaster battle of emotions.

4.0 out of 5 stars A few things you should know about 'Gorillas in the Mist', 9 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Gorillas In The Mist [1988] [DVD] (DVD)
Despite the requisite Hollywood cliches, this is a great film. Dian Fossey didn't know what she was getting into when she volunteered to go to Africa, working for Dr. Louis Leakey in taking a census of the endangered Mountain Gorillas. She didn't realise she was expected to work alone, in a remote mountain hut, and in a country torn by civil war...

But she came to love the subjects of her study so much that nothing could prize her from the mountain, not even the (human) man she eventually fell in love with. "When you look deep into a gorilla's eyes," she wrote, "your life is changed forever."

The blacks thought she was a witch, due to her reddish hair and fierce glance (captured well by actress Sigourney Weaver, although the real Dian was apparently a bit more shy than Sigourney's character). But this witchlike image actually helped to scare the poachers off. And Dian's work helped prevent the gorillas from becoming extinct. But unfortunately she was murdered by cowardly scum...black poachers in the pay of white animal traffickers. Too often the best are cut down before their life's work is finished...

One other thing to note is the incredible beauty of the landscapes, filmed on location in the mountains of Rwanda. The result is a worthy tribute to this wildlife warrior, who is most now probably in Asgard, feasting at Freyja's very table (with a gorilla at her side, no doubt).

4.0 out of 5 stars The story of Dian Fossey, 22 May 2011
This review is from: Gorillas In The Mist [1988] [DVD] (DVD)
I recently bought and watched this film after catching part of it on TV, I wanted to then buy and watch the whole thing. I have previously read Dian Fossey's original book 'Gorillas in the Mist', aswell as watching the National Geographic documentary on Dian Fossey and also reading 'In the Kingdom of Gorillas: Fragile Species in a Dangerous Land' so I already knew the story of Dian Fossey as well as some home truths about her character that weren't mentioned in Dian's original book. I still thoroughly enjoyed this movie despite already knowing the story, and although there were bit of the story that were changed slightly, bits left out and bits made more 'Hollywood', that is what I would have expected. However, they did show some of the aggressive sides to Dian's temperament in this movie and I thought Signorey Weaver played her well.

This is such an interesting story for anyone who does or doesn't already know the story of Dian Fossey, I would recommend to both.

5.0 out of 5 stars another superb story, 20 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Gorillas In The Mist [1988] [DVD] (DVD)
the highest rating is the only one that fits,...based on the true story,....of the mountain gorilla,.....it manages to move me EVERY TIME

5.0 out of 5 stars GORILLAS IN THE MIST, 3 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Gorillas In The Mist [1988] [DVD] (DVD)
Fantastic film, very moving and based on a true story. I highly recommend this, you might want to have the tissues at the ready though, very sad in parts.
There were a few swear words throughout the film which weren't really necessary. I've pointed this out for anyone who might have younger viewers.
Very prompt delivery by Amazon. This gets the thumbs up from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 13 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Gorillas In The Mist [1988] [DVD] (DVD)
I thought that the whole film was magnificent. It starred amazing actresses and actors with a very well written script! The 'making of' was fantastic as well! The whole thing was fantastic and made even better by the fact that they filmed with the actual gorillas!! Amazing story of an amazing woman! Full of supprises. 5*!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why does man need to destroy things, 21 April 2010
This review is from: Gorillas In The Mist [1988] [DVD] (DVD)
An excellent film, so sad and yet so inspiring. Sometimes mans greed and self centredness defies logic, but this film does show that tenacity and belief can lead to creating change in the world. I cried often throughout film I will not forget the message it carried.

5.0 out of 5 stars monkey business, 1 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Gorillas In The Mist [1988] [DVD] (DVD)
a well made true story of diane fosseys attempt to save the dwindling rate of gorillas being killed kor ashtrays etc,well recommend this film,sigourney did a god job here and reminds us that without people like diane fossey,THERE WOULD BE NO WILDLIFE TO SEE

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 28 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Gorillas In The Mist [1988] [DVD] (DVD)
A real classic and well adapted story of Dian Fossey. Bought for my son who loves Gorillas and has read a lot about Dian Fossey. He found the film a bit slow in places (but he is 12). However the real gorillas steal the show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this movie!, 5 Aug. 2013
martyna_C "martyna_C" (UK,Newcastle Upon Tyne) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gorillas In The Mist [1988] [DVD] (DVD)
I remember this movie from my teenage years! I love it! It's so sad but so interesting at the same time. Very powerfull film. It was great to see it again, and would recommed it to anyone who like a good adventure movie. x

Gorillas In The Mist [1988] [DVD]
Gorillas In The Mist [1988] [DVD] by Michael Apted (DVD - 2006)