5.0 out of 5 stars CLASSIC!
Ah, such fod memories of this TV programme, back in those halcyon days! So when it was released on DVD I bought myself a copy from Amazon, watched it and realised that I had missed some quality cult viewing!
The sets, fights, acting all oozes nostalgia, not in a corny way, as it is genuinely well made with some brilliant stories.
I recommend it to all those who...
Published on 4 Aug 2008 by Ibraar 'Le Saracen'

3.0 out of 5 stars misprtint in this descrption.... (o:
The descrption of this dvd says that it contains episodes 1 thru 3... it only had one and two. Having said that, I enjoyed my trip down memory lane watching this again. Well worth a look for the price.
Published on 1 Nov 2011 by Lord A. Loch

5.0 out of 5 stars CLASSIC!, 4 Aug 2008
Ibraar 'Le Saracen' "le_saracen" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Water Margin - Vol. 1 [1976] [DVD] (DVD)
I recommend it to all those who watched it back in the days, and those who haven't who appreciate fine Japanese drama.
Since I bought it, the DVD has been all over my work place, everyone wanted to borrow it!
A fine addition to my collection - to any ones collection!

3.0 out of 5 stars misprtint in this descrption.... (o:, 1 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Water Margin - Vol. 1 [1976] [DVD] (DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Despise The Snake Because He Has No Horns, 11 Aug 2013
Mike Sadler (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Water Margin - Vol. 1 [1976] [DVD] (DVD)
I have dim memories from my childhood of my father watching the Water Margin. My father disliked and disapproved of TV, so the fact that he watched the series made me look it up about 10 years ago.

The complete series is 26 episodes covering the formation and exploits of a group of Chinese outlaws based in the Water Margin - an area difficult for troops to penetrate, and thus the ideal retreat for hunted fugitives. All the characters have their history - the troubled 'Honourable General'; the virtuous 'Good Judge'; the mighty 'Tiger Hunter'; the drunken 'Flower Priest'; and the feisty Hu San Yan - who refused to be a concubine to the evil Grand Vizier and tried to kill him instead.

At one level, the stories are similar to our Robin Hood legends, but the overlay of oriental culture makes it slightly harder to predict the direction it's going to take. It is certainly a classic tale of good vs evil ("nine dozen heroes and one wicked man"), and the characters are straight-forward - but very engaging.

Don't expect modern production standards - the fighting choreography is primitive by modern standards, and it's not always PC (although one of the best fighters is a woman - unusual for the time). That said, the sets are well made, the acting (and dubbing) is good, and many of the scenes are filmed outside.

Every episode starts and ends with an aphorism, mostly from the Tao Te Ching - classics such as:

"Do Not Despise The Snake Because He Has No Horns - For Who Is To Say He Will Not One Day Become A Dragon?", and
"The Sea Is Master Over All The Rivers, Because He Lies Below Them!"

We're also watching a new (2011) Chinese interpretation of the story. They've gone the whole hog with good martial arts choreography, full town sets, etc, but it doesn't quite have the same pace and charm.

4.0 out of 5 stars As expected, 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Water Margin - Vol. 1 [1976] [DVD] (DVD)
i thought it might contain more than one episode of the series from the initial description by Amazon and it arrived on time well packaged just a bit disappointed that it's only one episode

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story but old pictures., 26 April 2013
Tan "PhilipTan's comment" (NL (EUR) & CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Water Margin - Vol. 1 [1976] [DVD] (DVD)
The story and the acting are quite good. But, the dubbing in English makes it unreal since the story is supposed to be in China. There is no subtitle, and the movie looks 'old'. The pictures are not so bad considering the old age of the movie. I wish they would remaster these dvd movies and put the original cinese/japanese spoken language with subtitles. That would be really wonderful!.

4.0 out of 5 stars Childhood memories, 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Water Margin - Vol. 1 [1976] [DVD] (DVD)
I remembered this from my childhood and it was great to revisit it. I preferred it to Monkey. It has intrigue, magic and mystery but reflects the age it was produced.

4.0 out of 5 stars blast from past, 12 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Water Margin - Vol. 1 [1976] [DVD] (DVD)
very happy with product and service. arrived quickly.
real trip down memory lane.
remember watching in 70's late at night on bbc2.
its just bril to watch again

5.0 out of 5 stars The Water Margin., 19 Feb 2014
Denise M. Bennett (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Water Margin - Vol. 1 [1976] [DVD] (DVD)
My husband watched this on TV way back in the 70s, and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I decided to buy it for him to relive old memories. We haven't watched it yet, still ploughing through all the DVDs we got for Xmas!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Wrong region, 15 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Water Margin - Vol. 1 [1976] [DVD] (DVD)
Sadly I didnt specify that this was for viewing in the USA which has a different broadcasting standard so the gift I sent was never used.

The Water Margin - Vol. 1 [1976] [DVD]
The Water Margin - Vol. 1 [1976] [DVD] by Toshio Masuda (DVD - 2003)