Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 November 2012
As a big grateful dead fan what can I say, yet another fantastic cd. I will now keep my album
just to look at, as it was starting to wear out. Dead heads r us
on 12 July 2015
Not a classic to my mind ; Smile , Sgt. Peppers, De Capo and Bryter Layter all classics but this particular record is not in the same league for me. I agree with another reviewer who states cutting and pasting live and studio material do not make a classic or even great album / record / cd or whatever you want to call it. I love the Dead music and England 72 and Live Dead are for me where they are best enjoyed and totally represent what they were about . For me Anthem was a poor compromise when perhaps feeling they needed to pull so thing special out their bag and bereft of a Brian Wilson or Lennon Macartney visionary cobbled this together . So it's overrated and would not recommend as a first step into all things Dead
on 11 August 2015
There are two versions of this album. It's best not to get all hot and bothered about which one to own. Put it on, turn it up & enjoy. As whimsical psychedelia goes it's right up there with the best.
The Dead seem to have been a cosmic live event. Their records generally turn me off. They have pretty much nothing going for them. So this is one of those tremendous recording achievements by an otherwise uninteresting band. It's a collage of live and studio cuts that flows really well. It's a real one-off that rewards repeated listening.
on 16 November 2012
This album is amazing - right? RIGHT it is amazing but it is an LP and that's it for the Other One - Why is this so expensive? It is an amazing LP so if it is "rare" then please Grateful Dead re-release it on vinyl at a good price. This LP is amazing, it is brilliant music and it is so much better experiencing it on vinyl than CD.
on 11 November 2015
Good Dead.
on 8 February 2012
This ia an all time classic of acid rock, far better than "Live Dead" and all subsequent releases. Here, they get the repertoire just right.....a perfect blend of live and studio recordings. After this, it is all down hill. "Aoxomoxoa" pales by comparison. "Working Man's Dead" and "Ammerican Beauty" are a complete change of direction that fail to deliver what the Dead, do best... which is improvised, acid inspired, guitar-led, dance nusic. And by the seventies, they got even worse; their album releases became bland, wishy-washy, jazz influenced noodlings. "Anthem" is their peak.
on 14 December 2012
I won't be shopping with tax cheats like Amazon this christmas or any other time in the future and invite you to do the same.
on 2 April 2011
Sorry but I think this album is rubbish! I am a great lover of the Grateful Dead's album 'American Beauty', its actually one of my favourites, but I'm afraid i just could not get into this one. The idea of merging live and studio recordings is a novel one but I'm afraid it just doesn't do it for me on this album.