Format: Audio CD|Change

on 31 December 2013
After the difficult concept that was 'Topographic Oceans', this is a pretty good return to normality in the wacky world of prog. 'The Gates Of Delirium' which makes up half of this album is superbly crafted whilst 'Sound Chaser' is a crazy thrash that I've never particularly liked. 'To Be Over' is a calming and much needed tonic to wrap up this interesting collection. Buy this and I think you'll be suitably impressed.
on 31 October 2004
This is a superb album and one which has stood the test of time. The first track, the epic "Gates of Delirium", is one of the best pieces of music ever produced by Yes. It is simply awesome. The musicianship on this album is amazing and the music itself is a heady amalgam of rock and jazz. This will not be the most accessible album for some, but perseverence will pay off! This was another album which the critics hated and the fans loved - sorry critics, but the fans know best! This is a classic.
on 19 October 2013
Ah, Relayer...these were the glory days of Yes, and progressive rock in general. We had such an embarrassment of riches during this period that we came to take albums of this quality for granted. 'Topographic Oceans' was an awe-inspiring effort that came out as I was just beginning Year 10 at school. To say I loved it is an understatement...'worshipped' would be nearer the mark. Jon's inspiration was amazing, and on 'Ritual' the words and melodies just seemed to flow on and on in a never-ending stream of musical bliss. I listened to it every day on arriving home from from school, and then the last thing I expected happened-they released another new album, about ten months later! This was another amazing thing-how could they possibly have enough material so soon after the immense effort of 'Topographic'? Well, of course, they did. This was Jon's golden age, and Relayer was another wonderful and timeless album which was followed by 'Olias of Sunhillow' and then 'Going for the One'. It was truly an age of 'miracles and wonders'. Well, if you don't know Relayer, I'll tell you a bit about it. Like 'Close to the Edge' it has an extended musical intro, and again there's a strong sense of purpose. The band sound like they know exactly what they're doing, and where they're going, and indeed they do. Jon's lyrics are all about war, and when he's finished the song all hell breaks loose for about ten minutes and your attention is simply rivetted by the onslaught of musical ideas and riffs. It all builds up to an almighty climax, and then we are treated to a truly great 'Yes' moment: the keyboards win out and there is peace. Not just that, as Steve enters with the most beautiful melody in the Yes cannon, and Jon sets off again singing about the purpose of life, which is to follow the sun/son (apparently!). He must have been listening to you-know who. Side two kicks off with the consistently brilliant and very funky 'Sound Chaser', then finally 'To Be Over', one of the the band's greatest and most overlooked songs. It grips you and doesn't let go until the final release of beauty and enchantment in the uplifting and mysterious closing couple of minutes. It all makes for an exhilarating and satisfying conclusion. This is without doubt one of the greatest albums ever made. It is timeless, thrilling and profound!
on 18 July 2003
The cover artwork of Relayer is, i think, a very different Roger Dean album cover. It doesn't excactly flourish in big fantasy oases of green meadows, blue skies and dancing fairies. The haunting landscape of stony and monochrome mountain walls and guarding snakes is a little bit more hostile and alienating than common Roger Dean style. It makes me think of J.R.R Tolkien's landscapes in The Two Towers where Frodo and Sam are wandering into the darkness of Mordor. The three pieces of Yes music on the album has kind of the same savage atmosphere as the pictures of this front cover. Beginning with the epic "The gates of delirium" with it's lyric themes of war and battle and the off-beat climactic middle section has a mental craziness about it. It's a beautifully insane piece of music that sums the experimental peak of Yes first 70's period. Even more avantgarde though in smaller format is second track "Sound chaser" which includes bizarre jazzrock hints that leans on to the likes of early Weather Report. Yes rounds up the album in a more old-fashioned way with the pastoral and eerie "To be over" where guitarist Steve Howe fills the air with light and flavish guitarr. Relayer is in spite of it's more complex and less acessible style approach a prog masterpiece equally great to the splendour of "Close to the edge" and "Fragile".
on 3 August 2005
This came out when I was about 12 or 13, and at a time when most of the non-pop music I got to hear belonged to the collections of the older siblings of my schoolfriends. That' s how I first heard this, and I remember at the time many disliking it, thinking it the worst yes album yet. Three years later, it was all the pistols and the clash, and a bit later still, the music I really remember connecting to - wire, the fall, joy division etc. This album however stayed with me, even though I wasn't supposed to like it, and remember feeling that very strongly. Then or now, I would not call myself a yes fan. I can't really imagine why anyone would want any of the discs that led up to this one, and the ones that came after speak for themselves. There are reservations. Steve Howe noodles as only he can, and the lyrics are hippy legend nonsense in the main. But Jon Anderson has still a bit of gravel in the voice, and Patrick Moraz is terrific at the keyboards. What really sets this album apart though is the astonishing relationship between Alan White's drumming (crisp where necessary, fluid and broadly brushed elsewhere) and Chris Squire's fascinatingly insouciant bass. Some of Squire's ramblingly approximate syncopations verge right on the sublime. With all its faults, I still think this one of a dozen or so great recordings made in the 1970s.
on 7 January 2016
The CD works fine in a player or in the car, however it will not 'rip' onto a computer. I tried both ITunes and
another software package on 2 different computers and it would not work. So, if you are planning on ripping this CD
do not buy this.
44 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 January 2011
I'm a relatively new fan of Yes but I have really started enjoying their music over the last two years. I saw this album in HMV and decided to dish out some christmas money on it. I was absolutely amazed by it. It opens with the strongest track "The Gates of Delirium" which is quite an experience. It rages through schizophrenically, touching on various aspects of war, but what I loved about this song is the ending. The small section that finishes this track which is called "Soon" is one of the most beautiful and moving pieces of music I have heard from Yes. Sound chaser is a great track full of energy and the album finishes with To Be Over which feels very positive and uplifting. As for the bonus tracks, the only one I have really listened to is "Soon" because I love it :)
on 9 May 2016
I have a problem here. From about a half of the side A there are too much bass and at the end it skips. I bought Tales from the Topographic Ocean vinyl recently and I have no problem with any side at all.
on 19 April 2012
The replica LP sleeve contains all original art etc. The original label printed on disc. The SHM CD is a great quality pressing which is expanded to 60 min. This is truly the deluxe version of Relayer!
on 15 January 2014
A great album that touches the mind and journeys through the bounds of the sub conscious mind to a beautiful land of reality
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse