5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding - an undisvovered classic
This is one of those hidden gems. I don't know why it took me so long to find out about it, but it's one of the best films I've seen this year. Buscemi is in top form and the writing and direction put most films to shame. buy it, watch it, tell all your mates about it, them watch it again with them, glowing in the pride of having discovered such a top film :)
Published on 23 Aug 2001 by chelfyn@trancemetropolitan.com

1.0 out of 5 stars I think I may have missed the point here...
Published on 1 Jun 2008 by Lucy Felthouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding - an undisvovered classic, 23 Aug 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, Fun, and witty!, 22 April 2000
By A Customer
Art House style, extremely funny story about a completely incapable film crew trying desperately to produce a movie. This Movie is a must for anyone who has: studied media, attempted to make their own move, involved in television and film production, or anyone who just wants a laugh. Beware this is not a high gloss, hollywood style comedy. But it is exactly this that makes it so appealing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Film, 29 May 2008
R. J. de Bulat (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I can't remember how I came across this film, but I did and read a review for a region 1 copy and bought it for region 2 via amazon. While it is an independent film, it is not so kooky as to make it so far from the mainstream as to be inaccessible to most film audiences and would appeal to teanagers upwards. The interview in the bonus material is a good insight to how the film came to be made and developed, which only adds to the experience. Steve Buscemi brings a quality to the film that only he can and the rest of the cast are excellent too. The storyline concerns the frustrations and difficulties of making a low budget movie - a neat idea for a low-budget film and one that is both instructive and hilarious. A most enjoyable film that had me laughing out loud and a feel good film too. It should be a stonking hit, so I recommend everyone who is interested in film to buy it asap.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Accurate, 8 Jun 2006
Hidden gem of a film which deserved much more publicity than it got.

I work in the film industry and this is so spot on! It really should be shown to ALL media students as part of their course!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Steve Buscemi - at his very, very best, 14 Aug 2013
Paulenz Hans Peter "Hans-Peter Paulenz" (Friedberg,Germany/Manila,Philippines) - See all my reviews
Many words of praise have been lavished upon this non-plussed parable on (or is it a parody of?) film-making.

I have nothing to add to that except endorsing the dictum that the movie, on the whole, is a real gem, a cult-movie, and a comedy on Hollywood if you ever had one - and, yes, of course it's about movie-making. Not necessarily about the "lower ranks" and the intricacies of low-budget movies.

But it is a fearless close-up on some of the hapless yet entirely lovable characters you will find in the truly ambitious but utterly powerless realms of the not-so-famous studios, where countless dreamers are the victims - but never the masters - of their countless ideas and politically correct inhibitions, or should I say their many stubborn (adolescent) long-haired fixations?

Of course all of that has been described in dozens of famous movies about movie-making.

However, the way that Steve Buscemi gets into the skin of young director Nick Reve, the super-understanding and perceptive softie, who is hopelessly overwhelmed by the sheer weight of his job without realizing it (he is just incapable of being ruthless enough to transform his vision into action, or palpable results), is nothing but marvelous.
Is it by chance that his name Reve means dreams, as in the French word rève? I believe it's not.

If you are interested in movies about Hollywood, or movie-making, and if you happen to like the art of Steve Buscemi, this is a must-have movie, if there ever is one.

5.0 out of 5 stars very very funny/good behind the scenes of a movie shoot, 22 April 2001
M. H. Oliff "markoliff2" (London) - See all my reviews
Why have I only just seen this film it came out in 1996 never even saw it advertised. It's amazing all the cast are brilliant and Buscemi is well on form. It's shot in very well I am going to tell all my friends about it.
On the set of a film shoot Buscemi is trying to get the best out of his actors shoot after shoot goes gloriously wrong you really feel for all the actors. There are twists,sub plots and a few excellent suprises. In fact to reveiw this in any detail would ruin the twists and story line for any one wanting to watch it. Very funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best comedies ever, 16 May 2009
budgy smuggler (SUFFOLK United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I love this film. Great directing by Tom DiCillo. Magnificent acting from Steve Buscemi, Catherine Keener, James Le Gros, Dermot Mulroney and the rest of the cast. Full of lovely little details that make you laugh however many times you watch it. It is a subtle beauty and may well be my most favourite comedy. It grows on you, like Hal Hartley's 'Amateur' or Andy Wachowski's 'Bound'.

5.0 out of 5 stars this is as Cult as Kevin Smith Clerks and the likes, 22 Feb 2009
Mr. A. J. Crook (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
My sister saw this film when doing her MA in film production and her teacher said this was a must see to understand the frustration of film directors.then she told me to watch it too. well, it sure gave a great hilarious insight of the movie making business, whether or not you deal with the lot is not necessary. this is daft, clever, and the characters are brilliant. this is what made me realize that Steve Buscemi is a comedy gem actor and each time i see him doing cameos for Adam Sandler i think of him in this.
i can guarantee you will never see a dwarf in the same light after you see this film. genius!

1.0 out of 5 stars I think I may have missed the point here..., 1 Jun 2008
Lucy Felthouse (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Living in Oblivion stars Steve Buscemi, who plays Nick Reve, a luckless low-budget film director trying to get his artistic vision onto the big screen. He's written a screenplay he's determined to film, starring the leading lady in his own life, though she doesn't know it. She has confidence issues, the leading man is an egotistical maniac who insists on changing scenes and filming them how he wants to, as opposed to how they're written.

Nick is becoming increasingly frustrated with take after take with nothing to show for his efforts. His inept crew aren't helping matters, as they're busy with love rivalries, insecurities and throwing up after consuming `off' milk. He is clinging tightly onto his sanity as the filming progresses, and the arrival on set of his batty mother, who's escaped from her nursing home is almost enough to push him over the edge. But he manages to see it through and capture his dream on film, but certainly not without further mishaps.

Classed as a dark comedy, I'm not sure I entirely `got' this. The endless retake scenes at the beginning of the film were almost enough to make me turn off before I was even fifteen minutes in. But there were glimmers of humour which appealed to me enough to make me keep watching. But to be honest, the film for me, was a whole load of nothingness. I thought it was pretty silly and pointless and it didn't really make me laugh, so unless you're into daft humour - I wouldn't bother.

Living in Oblivion [DVD] [1995] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]