5.0 out of 5 stars Destined to be re-evaluated as a classic.
Here's a funny thing. A film about a man who turns green and smashes stuff when he gets angry turns out not to really be about that after all.

When I first saw this film at the cinema I was left in a neither-here-nor-there frame of mind. I saw it was good but didn't fully appreciate what I'd just seen. It wasn't really a film about the Hulk but a film about...
Published on 6 Feb 2009 by G. Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Defies expectation
I think a lot of people were disappointed by this movie simply because they expected a feel-good action adventure, and essentially the other recent adaptations of Marvel comics have all provided that. In those movies the angst has been played down to be replaced by clever quips and sexual tension, which is great, but it isn't what The Hulk attempts. Instead, it looks...
Published on 18 Jan 2006 by Alex

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars All brawn and, well all brains actually, 22 Nov 2003
This review is from: Hulk [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
At last! a superhero flick with some heart. Don't get me wrong most superhero films are very enjoyable, but mostly eye candy but Ang Lee the helmer of Sense and Sensibility has made an intelligent summer blockbuster. DO NOT buy this if you loved Spider-Man, this is a film for grown ups. Lee makes easy work of Banner's very troubled past and is so like the comic it hurts, lots and lots of dialogue about humans and human nature, love (you get the picture) and as soon as banner gets stroppy BLAMMO!! he's green. If you want all action no brains, go see Daredevil, if you want an engaging yet slowburn film with eye popping effects, this is the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful tragedy of emotional impotence, 8 Jun 2009
G. Thomas (Canterbury UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

When I first saw this film at the cinema I was left in a neither-here-nor-there frame of mind. I saw it was good on some level but didn't fully appreciate what I'd just seen. It wasn't really a film about the Hulk but a film about relationships which happened to have the Hulk in it. I could have left it right there and foolishly dismissed this film as so many others seem to have done.

After the umpteenth rewatching I finally see some of what I think Ang Lee was trying to show us in the first place. Now "Hulk" is on Blu-ray and the transfer is exceptional. TV broadcasts and even the original DVD always appeared slightly too murky and you sometimes strained to see what exactly what was going on. The pin-sharp picture and glorious palette are at last revealed by the wonders of HD. I liked the film before but now I've fallen in love it as an example of exemplary visual style finally doing justice to the film's "human" content.

It's a beautiful film about complex emotional issues transposed into a comic book world. Isolation, abandonment, love, familial duty, jealousy, emotional trauma and of course finally anger and frustration at emotional impotence and even repressed sexuality. Have no doubt this is a tragedy of immense proportions.

Hulk is a distinctly brave and visionary film which has largely been dismissed as just another comic book film by some yet it doesn't pander to a casual audience either. This is possibly why it was perceived as a failure by so many.

Particularly noteworthy is Jennifer Connelly's performance. Unhurried close-ups of her face, subtly reflecting her changing emotional involvement become almost overwhelming the longer the camera intrusively lingers. I'm tempted to say that this is possibly her best performance in a movie so far even though she's been great in so many others. It's easy to portray such (comic book) supporting characters as caricatures or stereotypes (just look at the dismal 2008 Hulk movie for evidence of that) but Lee and Connelly bring such depth to Betty Ross that she somewhat steals the whole film.
Eric Bana is well cast as the emotionally distant and vaguely unsympathetic Bruce Banner not forgetting the excellent supporting cast including Nick Nolte and Sam Elliott.
Action scenes are handled deftly but similar in tone to the work of legendary director Michelangelo Antonioni, the action is the merely the device by which the larger picture is revealed, and not the other way around.

The difficulty obviously arises when you try to sell a film like this to an everyday audience. Short sighted reliance on populist demographics is always going to fail with a work of this complexity. It has no easily identifiable niche.
So there you have it. A film that is neither fish nor fowl but adroitly occupies the no-man's land in between.

I feel certain that this film must eventually garner the level of praise and appreciation it truly deserves but probably only by future generations. Great films often have a disheartening habit of being unappreciated in their own time.
Make no mistake "Hulk" is a great film which improves with every viewing even if not everybody can see that.

Ang Lee constantly reaffirms just why he has earnt his place among the all-time directorial greats by constantly challenging audience preconceptions and never failing to create thoughtful and intelligent films whatever genre he works in.

"Hulk" a future classic?.......... I have absolutely no doubt.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Loved It, 25 Feb 2006
Caleb Williams (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hulk [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I admit this movie was very dissapointing because in alot of eyes it turned out to be a let down and in some ways it was.
My thoughts are it was an excellent film that described the life of Bruce Banner and how he came to hold the gene that would turn him into the Hulk.
There was over the course of the movie too much going on at any one time that would distract you from what you were ment to focus on and after that scene would end you would have to repeat the scene because you missed something and in my eyes that isn't good.
The only really positive parts of the movie where the special effects & the action scenes. Eric Bana's performance was mediocre at best and in parts of the movie it was very hard to take him as the character seriously.
Apparently they are in the process of making a sequel and Eric Bana is even considering taking the part again, they aren't using the same director and to me that's a good thing because the movie had the potential to be the best ever and it wasn't so let's hope the new Hulk movie is better than the first which in my opinion was great anyway.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good Marvel comic movie, 9 Sep 2005
FadingLight (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hulk [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
This film was really good, was better than I expected. When I visited Los Angeles and went to Universal Studios: Hollywood, I saw one of the studios with the Hulk logo on top of it. I said to myself "wow! they're making a Hulk movie!" For that I couldn't wait. I surely wasnt disappointed. The film is what I expected to be but was a little bit better. Eric Bana played really good as Bruce Banner and Jennifer Connolly was also good as Betty. The CGI for this film were amazing, the facial expressions on the hulk were truly outstanding. It really made the CGI Hulk an actual character. The action scenes were bone crunching perfect, it was pretty humouress things what the hulk did in the scenes. I didn't really expect Ang Lee (director of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) to make this film as good and he really did impress me. Nick Nolte and Sam Elliot were brilliant as their characters. The opening credits sequence might be boring but I thought it was interesting, explains with how Bruce was immune to some things. This is a must see for comic book fans and also those who like to see the Hulk bash the living crap out of things

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a favorite, 3 April 2014
Martin Smedegaard Larsen "Gungner" (Aarhus, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This is still my favourite of all the Hulk movies. Maybe because I'm a big fan of Eric Bana, but the movie itself is great and very beautiful. A lot of people strongly dislike this movie, but I can't see why. To me, it's a love-story gone wrong, that happens to have a Hulk in it. Great movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ang Lee gives soul, heart & beauty., 11 Sep 2012
This review is from: Hulk [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Hulk is a movie which needs to be watched at least x2 & I never tire of watching Ang Lee Hulk, it's a very touching movie with breath taking moments.

The chapter that is striking is when he discovers his mothers tragedy, whilst his Father tells the story to his loved one.

A movie with strong anti-war, anti genocide message oppose to 'iron-man', but also shows regardless how much power you have, we are all vulnerable.

This movie will be re-evaluated as a universal cinema classic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as people make out, 9 Aug 2012
the HD clarity is outstanding and sound quality is brilliant

The people that slate this movie must not have much patience to me this is in the same vein as Nolans batman movies its more about man behind the mask rather than the hero, yes they could of cut a hour out and had little character development and hulk just mindlessly smashing stuff, but instead they went with showing you who banner is.

Also i just adore how ang lee had edited it all together :) highly enjoyable

5.0 out of 5 stars You're making me angry..., 9 Dec 2003
This review is from: Hulk [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
This film is brilliant, forget any bad reviews you may have read just watch it and see for yourself.
If like me you read the comics as a kid you’ll love it, it’s certainly much better than the TV series from years ago. The Hulk in this film actually IS incredible and HUGE! He rips tanks apart and throws them around like toys; he catches missiles, smashes up roads and is impervious to gunfire just like in the Marvel comics, Fantastic! All this is made possible because of the wonderful technique that is C.G.I. it is used in abundance and with great effect in this film. No, it isn’t flawless and there is the odd moment when things don’t seem to gel just right but that’s nitpicking and for the most part the effects are superb.
The only criticism I would make, is that the story does tend to drag on a little at first, but after the big green fella takes centre stage for the first time, it’s a blast!
There have been a lot of good films released over the last few months, and sadly there seems to be a lot of people who just want to criticise and give bad reviews for the sake of it, I speak as I find, and I found The Hulk to be thoroughly enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful sci-fi, 7 July 2005
This review is from: Hulk [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
This film surprised me. It is a very thoughtful and quite 'deep' re-telling of the story. The characters are well established during the first half of the film. This is done slowly - so don't expect much in the way of special effects until the transformation happens.
The next part of the film is VERY successful. The CGI Hulk is well conceived and the character is made very believable because most scenes are dark, but with enough detail for you to accept the character of the Hulk.
I found it far less interesting once the Hulk escaped from the desert facility. He now seems much more like a cartoon character - and that isn't really a compliment in this context. His leaps across canyons and deserts are ridiculous and weaken the entire film. This is a great shame as everything else works so well.
The ending is well-resolved and we finally get the classic line about Banner being made angry.
If at all possible - get the two-disc version as the supporting documentaries and interviews are top notch.

4.0 out of 5 stars A smart superhero film? No wonder everyone hated it., 21 Oct 2006
Dave "musicman" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hulk [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
With Ang Lee at the helm there was no way this was going to turn out as yet another repetitive action flick: this is superheroes with brains. It's also probably the most believable of the superhero movies. There are no stupid baddies with capes, special powers and definite articles preceding their names. Maybe the movie does stray from the comics, but serious people won't care because we ended up with a good film instead.

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

Hulk [DVD] [2003]
Hulk [DVD] [2003] by Ang Lee (DVD - 2003)