5.0 out of 5 stars I cannot rate this little gem too highly, 21 April 2003
gtkovacs (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Live One (Audio CD)
We came across Boo Hewerdine as a member of Eddi Reader's band, and writer of songs with and for Eddi. But he is so much more than that. I bought "A Live One" at an Eddi Reader gig last week, and was just blown away by the quality of the performance. We know several of the songs (another reference to Eddi Reader) but the quality of playing and singing is outstanding.
Here we have one man and his guitar, playing haunting melodies in a small venue that few people (sorry Claygate) have ever heard of, recorded straight off the sound desk. Boo gives outstanding solo interpretations of songs that I already knew and loved. There is not a weak track. All are played and sung with great sensitivity. Right now Bell, Book & Candle and I Felt a Soul Move Through me stand out in my mind, but tomorrow it will be others.
Boo Hewerdine is a superb songwriter, and deserves much greater success.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Live One (Boo Hewerdine, at the Ram Folk Club, Claygate), 15 Mar 2003
J. Gaskell "johngl" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Live One (Audio CD)
This was his first solo performance for a long time and took place in a "scout hut", the location for the Ram Folk Club behind a Young's pub in Claygate, Surrey.
Given the modesty of the venue and that it was a live recording straight from the desk, the quality is staggeringly good.
The songs are a mixture of old Boo classics (Bell, Book & Candle, Please Don't Ask Me To Dance, Birds Are Leaving) and some new material including a notable debut for Paper Planes, or how to recycle love letters with a lump in your throat.
The tunes owe nothing to anyone, the turns of phrase are lucid and there isn't a cliche in sight. Wonderful song-writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lively One!, 15 Mar 2003
This review is from: A Live One (Audio CD)
If you have every had the priviledge of seeing Mr Hewerdine live than you will know what a superb experience it is. This live CD will bring back fantastic memories for those lucky enough to see him and will also bring a different dimension to those who haven't.From the opening thumbstrokes of 'Bell, book and candle' onto the delightful 'Sweet on the vine' you instantly warm to the set. As the night unwinds through 'Graceland' and jaw aching 'Please don't ask me to dance' you just wish you could have witnessed it live. The set in interspersed with witty anecdotes and conversion. Championing some new material and excelling with the old, the featured songs offer the full spectrum of Boo's singer songwriting prowess! Experience this brilliant evening when audience and performer are on SONG.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Album, 3 Nov 2005
Mr. R. G. Chivers "richard10513" (DUMMER HAMPSHIRE UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Live One (Audio CD)
This is a masterpiece. We have here one of the finest songwriters around. Buy this CD and then go and see him live. He has an official website, easy to find! He is fantastic. Amazingly he plays to small audiences whereas Paul McCartney packs out stadiums, WHY!!. There is no justice! When you are choosing the music for your funeral, you want your nearest and dearest to shed a few tears. Well pick almost any song of this album. I cannot think of a better way to meet my maker but to the sounds of Sweet on the Vine, Patience of Angels or Worlds End. Buy it you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 Oct 2013
This review is from: A Live One (Audio CD)
This is just brilliant. What amazing music. Will often have it on repeat. A definite 'must have'. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why did I not discover this treasure sooner!?, 4 May 2012
This review is from: A Live One (Audio CD)
Wow! I cannot rate this highly enough. 'The Bible's CDs were the first of only a few CDs I owned at the time of their release and I loved (and still do) them. Tried unsuccessfully a little while ago to find any info on what the members of the band were now doing then recently found a link, searched on Boo Hewerdine and discovered how much he'd been doing. I felt gutted to have been missing out especially when I heard his solo work and his voice sounding better than ever. I sampled this album and now own it. It is faultless in quality and Boo's voice and songs are just stunning. As I say, my only regret is that I have been late in finding this music but will now keenly follow Boo's musical future. This album takes no 'getting used to' as the songs are very 'instant' IE you will love them all immediately. Anyone who hasn't discovered this CD is missing out so if you have got this far in finding info, hesitate no more and buy it now! 10 stars!

A Live One
A Live One by Boo Hewerdine (Audio CD - 2004)