This is a real romper of a Saturday night CD. Jam it in the slot, crank up the volume and motor off to see your favourite rockin' blues band (and make like you're still 17, even if your teenage years were left behind long ago...).

Published on 10 Aug 2009 by Rowena Hoseason

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed!!!!!
Having got this album having heard the first 2 albums by Sonny Landreth, I can't help but feel slightly disappointed. That's not to say that it's a bad album because it isn't but having heard what Sonny is capable of, as both a songwriter and a musician, I do feel a little cheated by this.
First up is the production which is way too glossy for this type of music...
Published on 24 Oct 2003 by Proudmomofagayson

5.0 out of 5 stars The essence of live rock n blues, distilled in the studio. Play it loud!, 10 Aug 2009
Rowena Hoseason "Hooligween" (Kernow, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Road We're On (Audio CD)

With echoes of traditional Delta blues and some lively little numbers, `The Road We're On' is a harder-edged album than Landreth's other offerings. The title is something of a suggestion; this feels almost like a set list for the live gigs. It is not a live album... but many of the tracks on here are firm favourites at the band's shows.
Some of the compositions appear deceptively simple until you've ground a groove in the CD from repeated playing, then you start to hear all the layers which go into building a complex development of the modern slide-guitar based blues.
There are even a couple of soulful songs on which Sonny doesn't play slide - Ol' Lady Luck being one of them; a deceptively straightforward melody which burrows deep into your brain. That's the track you're most likely to be humming for days... but there are catchy riffs and clever tributes all through this album. If you enjoy BB King and Elmore James then you'll hear echoes of their sounds in some of the songs, along with hot-foot honky-tonk and a thumping drum beat which on some tracks is impossible to resist.

`Hell At Home' and `All About You' will have you bopping in no time; they seem straightforward enough but actually there's all kinds of tricky stuff going on with the recording to create a raw, nearly-live feel. Landreth takes his time producing his CDs and you get the impression that's because these tracks are refined over a long time, trying new tunings and microphone set up, different amps and recording styles. Then Landreth's passion for the music comes blazing all through that studied technique - the result is an album which digs in deep under the skin although it may sound straightforward at first.

The stand-out track (for me: today. Who knows what it'll be tomorrow?) is a minor blues, the sad, slow sound of `A World Away'. This is the track which demonstrates Landreth's massive breadth of accomplishment. There are plenty of good guitarists who can play the blues. There are precious few guitarists who *have* the blues. Landreth, as you may have guessed already, falls squarely into the latter camp. And DO listen on right to the end of this track, to enjoy Sonny shaking the last sweet echoes of sadness, almost coaxing thin air itself to mourn a relationship's end. There's no one else who plays a guitar like that: treasure it.

The CD ends on a high point: Landreth never leaves us stranded in melancholy. The beat always picks up its feet after a slow number, just to keep life rocking along. `Juke Box Mama' bring the collection to a stomping close and truly does provide rhythm for the blues.

So. A more `mainstream' album than some of Landreth's others. Definitely worth getting to know.

8/10

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed!!!!!, 24 Oct 2003
This review is from: The Road We're On (Audio CD)
First up is the production which is way too glossy for this type of music. Then there are the songs themselves, with none of them standing out particularly strongly ... there is a noticeable lack of memorable hooks on this outing. Then there is the playing itself, there just isn't the variety within it that I have come to know and expect from Sonny. That's not to say all I tune into is to hear stupendous playing nor do I expect long-winded solos but it just seems as if he is running out of ideas and very quickly at that on some of the tracks.
South of I-10 gets played about 10 times a week and even now, after all this time of listening to it, I still feel excited by what I hear but that is not the case with The Road We're On. On several of the tracks, I am looking around the room or searching for the Skip Track button which I have NEVER done before listening to Sonny. Being a HUGE fan of John Hiatt and hearing Sonny on the last 2 albums, I really thought that what he is doing there would extend to his solo stuff but it seems as if he is on burn-out because there is very little here for me to get my teeth into.
What it has done is made me think "oh with a bit of practise I could play a few of those solos" and I have never been able to say that EVER when listening to Sonny Landreth. Now, whether that is because the production sheen is so slick that it's losing his guitar in the mix or because he has pared down his playing to such an extent, I don't know. What I do know is I have the latest Sonny Landreth album and it's hardly getting played. That is not good at all.

The Road We're On
The Road We're On by Sonny Landreth (Audio CD - 2003)