Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 September 2012
I can only echo the praise heaped on this album by previous reviewers - it is an absolute gem.

I bought it on vinyl just after it's release as an impulse buy and I was mesmorized when I first played it, it has an ethereal quiality at times and Sandy Denny's singing is breathtaking. I still feel exactly the same way today about this masterpiece as I did all those years ago. It still sends shivers up my spine.

ps I went to Essex Uni in 1970, which is where the blackboard was created for the album cover and saw Fairport during my years there.

Very much miss Sandy Denny - God Bless Her.
on 24 August 2010
After a couple of months of listening this album has grown in my estimation. I was familiar with some of the more well-known tracks from Fairport compilations and Cropredy, but many of the tracks were new to me. It's clear that the band were in transition on this album, but that doesn't detract from the quality. It seems very well balanced between own compositions and covers, folk and "American", so that once the songs break the familiarity barrier they appeal more and more. The best attribute, along with the growing songwriting ability and RT's strong guitar work, is the vocals. Sandy Denny and Iain Matthews voices to me seem to blend perfectly and I think the vocals are probably better on this album than any other. All in all, this album is better than I expected it to be.
on 29 September 2014
Again a beautiful album from a brilliant band . Richard Thompson always is brilliant inventive guitarist , some of the mega rated American guitarists should take a leaf out of his book on how to play proper guitar instead of rubbish whammy barring .
on 3 July 2014
This is a fine album with the brilliant Meet On The Ledge probably the highlight . Fotheringay and Nottamun Town are special too and Mr Lacey really rocks . Who knows what might have happened if this lineup had been able to stay together .
on 24 December 2010
It is not in my nature to revel in past glories. Suffice to say that '69 when this album came out was an exceptional year in many ways. It is the year that Fairport released not only this album but also Unhalfbricking, and Lief and Liege, which is a wonderful tryptic charting the seminal development of the band.In my process of revisiting all of these albums (in reverse order). I had genuinely forgotten how a) eclectic and b)good this album was and is.
I loved the lyrical interpretations of the the folk classics Fotheringay and She moves through the fair, and the lyrical guitar work clearly influences; End of the holidays, and gives all three an etherial, almost timeless quality. The balance on the album comes with the wonderful, driving Mr Lacey which really would not be out of place on an early chicken shack album. The quality mix continues with the wonderful minimilist slide work on the Lord is in the place-loved the coins being thrown at the end! Ian matthews contribution of the Book song is a clear indication of where his early efrorts would lead i.e. the west coast soft rock influence. Finally on the sleve notes to unhalfbricking Ashley Hutchins indicates that one of the tracks is one of the earliest examples of our cultural musical heritage embrassing world music, there is clear evidence of its pre-cursor on this album as well as the suble inclusion of the sitar. The use of the accordian on one or two tracks also has resinances on later albums. The obligatory interpretation of a Dylan track is also here, which was sadly to disappear for the band by the end of '69. A great revisit not nostalgic but a realisation/rediscovery of why i rated this album in the first place. Also still love the cover!!! a must for 60's retro- freaks!
ps -It may deserve a five star rating but in 50 odd years of playing and listening to music I would probably only rate about 5 albums with 5 stars-but this is one comes close!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 February 2011
If you considered Fairport Convention too folk for your music taste- think again. This is just pure melody with a real spread of different music styles so the album never gets boring or the songs sound all the same. Remastered so excellent quality. If you like Fleetwood Mac then give this a try you wont be disappointed.
on 17 September 2013
I know most of the material well, had the vinyl for decades but it's good to have a cd version that I can play in the car, workshop, etc. Some great tracks, one or two interesting 'fillers'.
on 3 July 2014
This was something I listened to constantly in 1969 on vinyl record and have bought twice since on CD - simply an old favourite, and well worth a listen today
on 17 March 2013
A good place to start with Fairport Convention and then work your way forward to their later albums. Sandy Denny's voice is unbeatable.
on 3 January 2013
What can I say Fairport Convention always guaranteed to be a great success. Yes love the CD, has been played many times already