5.0 out of 5 stars You need a lot of energy!!
As a long term, but infrequent user of exercise videos, due to boredom, I have found this to be one of the best. It's definitely not for anyone who is new to exercise, as it takes alot of stamina and you have to be relatively fit just to do the warm up!
Published on 11 Feb. 2003 by tracey_1969

3.0 out of 5 stars Square-Bashing to Music
This workout is definitely not for the faint-hearted. You need to be fit before you start and would certainly not be recommended for beginners.
Published on 13 Jan. 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars You need a lot of energy!!, 11 Feb. 2003
The good thing is, you need minimal space and there is no prancing and flouncing about, just simple running and jumping on the spot with easy arm movements. You don't need much co-ordination, but you do need rhythm.
It's just straight forward exercise with an ex-army type bloke shouting instructions. No condescending chatter from Nell or her mates, and they all look as knackered as you feel!!
My one crisicism is that the whole warm-up, workout and cooldown routine is quite long - over an hour, and Nell and her friends are never shown having a drink, which is absolutely essential as you sweat loads. But all in all, this DVD/video is excellent and I would recommend it to anyone who is after a challenge, and does not have a lot of space for exercise.

3.0 out of 5 stars Square-Bashing to Music, 13 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Nell McAndrew's Peak Energy [VHS] (VHS Tape)
A word I would use to describe this video is "hard"....hard technically, hard visually (no one except Nell smiles - this is obviously a very serious business to the students) and hard in respect of the class presenter. I wouldn't mind betting that he has been army-trained! He shouts all the way through the video and whistles like some wannabe cowboy on a cattle drive!
I have been a fitness instructor for over 20 years and at 57 did actually manage to finish the hour and a half......so it is possible! It really does take me back to my early days as an instructor when we did not move off the spot. It was discovered then and I can't see that it has changed, that this does put extra strain on muscles and joints, especially with the number of repititions performed. Good shoes and comfortable floor would be advised....certainly not a concrete floor as shown on the video.
On the more positive side though, once you can get through the video, I have no doubt that the participant would achieve the results they would like.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exhaustion......!, 2 Jan. 2003
As a new year's resolution we decided to bring life to our living room (and slimness to our thighs) by expanding our large exercise video collection. After purchasing most new videos on the market (we get bored quickly), we thought this would be no different. We were wrong. Despite saying it is suitable for all fitness levels, we were left puffing like old women after the warm up and by the actual first section we were worn out. Dont get me wrong, we like a hard workout but this was more like boot camp torture... constant running, jumping jacks, squats, and other high impact aerobics set to pretty good music but with nothing very exciting to look at (the whole thing is set in what looks like an aircraft hanger). At the bottom of the screen there were 40 little blobs.... each blob couting for a minute. After 10 little blobs were filled in we were left in sweaty heaps on the carpet...so we skipped to the floor work and were left with aching bums and stomachs. Its not that the actual exercises are bad... just that the barking army drill sargeant who instructs you seems to over do the time spent on each thing.
At the end of the workout (nearly an hour and a half if we'd left the fast forward button alone) we were left looking and smelling a little less fresh than we'd hoped and today are finding it difficult to walk. This is a good workout for those who are extremely fit already but for those less so (i.e. us) it will take a lot more practice to get through the whole thing... it just depends if you have the willpower or not and really want a firm bod because this will definitely give you results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peak energy, Peak results, 17 Jan. 2004
This amazing, high energy, fast results work out consists of four different sections:
1. 10 minute warm up which is effective- dont be decieved at first by its level of difficulty, after doing this routine about three times i adjusted easily to some of the difficult bits. you will need to make the most of these to really warm up those muscles for the next- and most difficult part.
2. 40 minute work out- you will be on your feet non stop, this workout incorporates different arm movements with a combination of constant jogging/running movements. When i first did this workout i collapsed after about 15 minutes, the second time round I took steady breaks every 10 min, but now i've figured that the only way to really make the most of this workout and to avoid exhaustion is to KEEP MOVING. you will attain a fitness level beyond what you ever imagined- I certainly did.
3. Arm toning/weight training - this is ideal for toning arms and building up arms and shoulders- after all the best way to increase metabolism is through increasing muscle mass. It will help you lose weight, too.
4. lower body toning, i.e. press ups and leg lifts, sit ups etc. quite tough, but after 3 weeks of this my stomach is visibly much flatter and more toned.
overall, this is a fantastic workout. I feel and look great, and the best thing is that I have reached a fitness level beyond my dreams- i can now run for miles without feeling tired. I'm completely addicted to this workout- the first time round I hated it, but it certainly does grow on you. the instructer is clear and to the point, no fancy language or irritating comments. a great, full body workout. At last a workout that does just what it claims to do!

4.0 out of 5 stars Feel The Burn!, 25 Feb. 2003
This review is from: Nell McAndrew's Peak Energy [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Possibly THE hardest workout video I have ever invested in (and I have a shelf-full). Despite claims from Nell in her intro that the video was suitable for all levels, once into full swing, no lower impact alternatives were given to the bouncing full-on routine. However, from my knowledge of fitness, I decided to alternate between marching on the spot and keeping the arms moving, and resting my arms and following the jogging/jumping jacks etc. OK, I wasn't getting the full benefits, but at least I could keep it up for the 40 minute main workout. I figure I can build up to doing it full-out.
Unlike some other exercise videos I have bought, this one really feels like you are working hard and getting results. The instructor is excellent - pushy and encouraging as instructors should be! However, it can be slightly annoying when he says "8 more" and then you think you're getting to the end and he says "8 more" AGAIN!
The 40 minutes being counted down on the screen with a bar is a good idea. It also meant for me, that when I am short of time, I can do just half the workout out and then move onto the toning sections.
For people VERY short of time, I would recommend doing just the warm up, followed by the 2 toning sections.
And whatever you do, STRETCH your calves out really well at the end, cos boy will they hurt the next day if you don't!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! - a really challenging exercise video, 9 Jan. 2004
Emma Peters (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Peak Energy is a physically demanding exercise video, ideal for regular class goers who can't make it to the gym and feel the need to really workout. The soundtrack is not great so whack on a CD of your choice and this video is even better. The 10 min warm up is fairly challenging and the 40 minute aerobic workout followed by 10 mins upper body and 15 minutes of floor work is exhilarating. It gives a really thorough total body workout which is both enjoyable and straightforward. I just hope Nell's next video is as good. Highly recommended for those with already good fitness levels who are willing to work hard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get stuck in!, 18 May 2003
I bought this DVD after doing some low impact workouts for about 2 weeks and finding them pretty easy, so I thought I could try something a bit more high-intensity.
The warm-up is good, although I don't think the instructor spends enough time on the stretches, which are definitely very important for this workout. However, it does get you warm and breaking a sweat, and carries through to the actual 40 minute, gruelling routine. This is very repetitive, simple, and easy-to-follow; as Nell says, no nonsense. It consists of starjumps, jogging with arms, and similar movements throughout the 40 minutes. It may sound a little boring to repeat moves over and over but it's so fast that all you can think about is just keeping your limbs moving in time to the frenzied garage beat! I found the amount I could manage (10-15 minutes first time through) to be exhilarating - I could last longer than I expected. The upper body work is painful if your arm muscles aren't that well developed, and I really recommend caution on this one in particular - my arms are still really aching days after the last time I attempted it. However, the floor workout is excellent, very comprehensive and intense. It starts with pressups, moves on to buttock clenches and then stomach crunches (a large number of each I must add!), before some serious thigh work. This section will really tone your body.
A lot of people below found the instructor too sharp and "army-like" in his manner. This is true, he sounds very much like an army instructor leading a military workout, but I actually liked his style. It wasn't intimidating or obtrusive, and it was clear what you were meant to be doing at all times - often he'd start a step a beat early so that you could see what you'll be changing to. If you're holding a stretch, he'll keep shouting "Hold it!" at you, which I found very motivating. His attitude was very much the "no nonsense" attitude that Nell describes in this workout.
Nell herself is an inspiration, standing by the side of the instructor and barely breaking a sweat to start with! She smiles a lot which is very encouraging, and by the end even she looks tired - still smiling though!
In my opinion this is an effective workout. It's thorough, first burning fat at a high rate, then toning muscles relentlessly, but just be a bit careful - if you've been injured or aren't too fit, don't try and do more than you feel comfortable with, and build up to the full 40 minute routine. Also, have at least one pint glass of water stood near to you, because I guarantee you will need it. Otherwise, do as Nell does, and just "get stuck in"!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yowsers! Not for the faint of heart!, 9 Jan. 2006
By A Customer
This DVD is, as Nell says, no nonsense and I don't believe that anyone can seriously doubt that if you did what it said, you would become as fit and slim as most people will ever need to be.
When you first try it, unless you are more or less a regular gym goer, you're unlikely to last very long. I like to think that I'm reasonably fit, walk to and from work every day at half an hour's brisk pace each way, practice ashtanga yoga, use the stairs and not lifts and so on. I didn't manage to complete the 10 min warm up without sitting down for a bit, looking a charming beetroot shade.
It won't take long at all before you see improvements in your stamina. I have been used to strength/ flexibility workouts from yoga, which I have to confess were always a bit easy for me. I began thinking that this was much too difficult for me but then the lure of getting hot and sweaty and feeling thoroughly worked out after only 10 minutes appealed!
I've been using the DVD maybe 4 nights a week for a fortnight and rapidly learned to break through the warm up. I'm still only getting through a total of 15 minutes before my legs burn, but the progress is really noticeable and I can always go to the more strength based cooldowns to feel more virtuous. More than that, I'm doing the steps properly now, really jumping instead of a halfarsed skip to save the neighbours downstairs (nothing to do with finding it all a bit hard, honest). My legs are firmer, arms have noticeable muscle and I'm sure the overhang isn't quite as bad as it used to be.
A lot of people have criticised Army Guy and I can see where they are coming from but I do agree that in a trainer it's essential. It really did have me working harder hearing the commands shouted - instinct was to obey first and think later. He also broke the task down, the big example being on the cooldown where he shouts "10 more!" pressups... 5 times. Each time you think that you're nearly there and you can dig out a little more. Tell me I'm going to do 50 press ups straight off and I just won't think I can do it. That you can and realise you can is tremendously heartening.
Nell, bless her, has so little personality on this so it's for the best that she just smiles and looks pretty whilst Army Guy gets along with the task in hand. It's amusing to watch her looking about as hot and mithered as you feel which really adds to the no nonsense feel of the DVD.
Problems, well aside from being pretty daunting to begin with, it does need a good pair of shoes (I hurt my feet trying to do this barefoot) and it's very difficult to do this quietly. I live in a first floor flat and I'm sure my neighbours hate me, despite my best efforts.

4.0 out of 5 stars waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa some workout!, 10 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Nell McAndrew's Peak Energy [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I just bought this video yesterday, and just finished doing the video (well what I could manage!- about 20 minutes! lol!) and I'm am in agony! This video is torture but I guess if it gives results then it's worth it! But to be honest I think that everyone in the video are robots as they don't even get slightly puffed, or red or anything!
If you're considering buying this video then do if you REALLY want to get fit. The music isn't very good though - just bang bang bang hard house music in the background.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore any other reviews!, 22 Feb. 2006
This DVD is excellent I have been doing it 3 times a week for the past 6 weeks or so and I have toned up loads, i like it because it's easy to follow no jumping around from one end of the room to the other, just on the spot intense no messing moves! I would reccommend this to anyone who likes easy moves and wants to lose weight and tone up fast!

Nell McAndrew's Peak Energy [VHS]
Nell McAndrew's Peak Energy [VHS] by Nell Mcandrew (VHS Tape - 2002)