4.0 out of 5 stars It's very good but ....
Published on 18 July 2010 by Steve

1.0 out of 5 stars NO! NO! NO!
Good Lord no! ET is my favourite film ever made. I remember watching it a million and a half times when I was 8 and could happily watch it a million and a half times again.
Published on 10 Jan 2004 by Penny Crayon

4.0 out of 5 stars It's very good but ...., 18 July 2010
This 2 disc special edition set is a masterpiece of presentation, it's beautifully laid out and even comes with a very nice 8 page booklet. The extras disc is packed with extras, in addition the picture and sound quality is of a high standard. It would seem that this DVD set cannot fail? Unfortunately, certain scenes in the film have been edited, and this is a shame for an otherwise very nice DVD. The fantastic scene where Elliot and ET, whilst riding a bike have to face an armed road block has been changed, which in my opinion is a shame because it was perfect as it was. I fully understand that the film has been revamped, but prehaps it could have been handled just a little bit better. For that reason I'll give 4 out of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Special review of the 20th Anniversary Edition, 26 Sep 2007
In 1982 the original version of Spielberg's E. T., The Extra Terrestrial to hit the theatres and became one of the biggest hits in movie history. Spielberg and his crew had created an international phenomena which has gone into cinema history as one of the top twenty highest grossing films this century. The scene where Eliot and E.T. fly across the moon, now the official logo of Spielberg's Amblin studios, is one of the most recognizable moments in cinema.

To those select few unfamiliar with E.T., the story is both very solid and well-crafted. An anthropologist race of extraterrestrials are investigating the vegetation on earth, and due to people chasing them, the ship has to go, leaving a lone alien, who promptly has to run for his life. After a memorable sequence in Eliot's family shed, where E.T. throws a baseball back after Eliot hears a noise and he throws it in, Eliot gets scared. None of his family believes them, but in the end Eliot finally meets E.T. From there, E.T. learns to talk, teaches Eliot a thing or two about drinking, and takes him on the most memorable bike-ride in movie history. Through the course of the movie, the government, whose never fully explained in the film, discover just where E.T. is at, and they try to take him away. The climax of the film is both harrowing and very emotional. There are two things to be noted about the film's ending. One, E.T. was filmed chronologically, a very rare thing in Hollywood. The emotional response of each of the principals to E.T.'s departure is real. Another is that E.T. is the only film that Spielberg has reedited to fit the film's score. The original ending was too short for John Williams' score, and Williams told Spielberg about the problem he had, and Spielberg changed the film's ending to fit his score.

That's the film in all its glory. The original deserves all the acclaim it got. So what have they added in the Twentieth Anniversary re-release? Well, some very interesting changes. The most noticeable is the opening scenes where E.T. runs away from the humans. In the original, as Spielberg said in the documentary recently aired on ABC, E.T. looked as if he was on a track, and in the rerelease you can see E.T. actually running. They added two deleted scenes, one from the Halloween sequence and a bathroom scene with Elliot and E.T. Why the Halloween scene didn't make it to the original I'm not sure. The bathroom scene was cut because Spielberg felt the animatronics were too lacking. They have digitally reanimated many of E.T.'s facial shots, the most noticeable being Elliot's first encounter with E.T. and when Gerty (Barrymore) meets E.T. for the first time. To the original film's credit, most of E.T. himself goes untouched, and what they do change never feels gratuitous or out of place. While over 100 shots were redone, they are so seamlessly incorporated into the original that it never occurs to you that this has been redone. The only time you can really tell it's CGI is the bathroom scene. George Lucas could learn a few things from Spielberg in this regard.

The most interesting changes occur near the end of the film. In the original, Elliot's mother tells his brother that he cannot go to Halloween as a terrorist. In the ending sequence, the agent's guns are changed to walkie-talkies, which Spielberg said he always regretted having in the original film and would be the one guaranteed change if he ever re-released E.T. One of the rumored changes that did not make the film is Harrison Ford's only scene as Elliot's principal which was cut from the film because Spielberg thought it was to distracting. (Ford's wife wrote E.T.'s screenplay). Hopefully, we will see this footage on the DVD.

For those of you who have not seen it, this is a great opportunity to see this remarkable film. For those of you who know the film, discover E.T.'s magic one more time.

April 3, 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Et classic, 25 Dec 2012
Mr. F. Hopkins (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
Fantastic quality and classic just got clearer, never dates, love the collectable cover

Buy it today you will not be dissapointed

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, 4 Dec 2012
A great family favourite we all sat down and watched it i thought the wife was going to cry like she did 20+ years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 Nov 2012
Took me back so many years my boy of 9 enjoyed as much as I did all those years ago

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the greatest fantasy films ever, 24 Jun 2012
schumann_bg - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
ET stands as one of the greatest fantasy films, and also Steven Spielberg's best, in my opinion, along with Saving Private Ryan. It is a pity the 2002 version seems so predominant now, and I do sympathise with those who want the original version without the new one, which it seems to be impossible to buy. You have to get the 3-DVD boxset to get it at all ... I was unaware of this as I watched the copy I have, although it did occur to me that some of the sequences were not in the film I had on VHS, and that they were inferior, particularly the bathroom scene. ET looks a lot less good in these bits and his mystery is severely undermined, I would say ... It is certainly a shame, because the rest of it is so brilliant and the presentation of ET himself was wonderfully done, not showing us too much, and keeping the lighting dim. There is a real sense of magic in his appearance, such that you really don't object to the sentimentality (as an adult), you just go with the wonder of it. I love the part where he creates a solar system in the air, and where he hides among the cuddly toys to avoid detection. The film does pull at the heart strings, but somehow it really works - who can ever forget the sight of ET in the ditch? I was already 17 when I first saw it, but it made an indelible imprint on me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful - but much preferred the original, 10 May 2004
By A Customer
I was thrilled to receive this in my Christmas stocking last December. E.T. remains one of my favourite films ever - I vividly remember going to see it with my parents and sister when I was 8 years old, and being utterly captivated and obsessed.
I've actually only seen it about 4 times in my life. I like to come to it fresh at each viewing. I love it because I think it's a wonderful story, flawlessly told.
I was a little disappointed by the remastered version - I don't agree with Spielberg's assertion that the changes are discreet and almost unnoticeable. For someone who has only seen the film a handful of times, I could spot the changes a mile away.
I'm not a fan of CGI - I think it makes many modern films look utterly fake and soulless. The beauty of E.T. is that the special effects were merely secondary to this timeless tale, and very adequete. Touching them up makes the film a teeny bit blander. What harm to leave them as they were? The original film has aged beautifully. I especially take umbrage to dickeying with E.T.'s face - making him too cutesy and removing much of his poignancy. Seeing the extra bathroom scene was interesting, but I agree with its original deletion. It just didn't sit with the tone of the rest of the film - it was unnecessarily comical.
It was good to see Spielberg's new director's cut, but I'm surprised at him for feeling the need to alter his most personal film. It was perfect the first time - so why change it, and water it down slightly?
This 20th anniversary box set does include the original film, though, and I've more or less decided to only watch this version in future. I also enjoyed all the little documentary pieces about the making of the film and the reunion of the cast. So I am still thrilled to have the DVD - just a little underwhelmed by the new and 'improved' version!

1.0 out of 5 stars NO! NO! NO!, 10 Jan 2004
This version of the film is an absolute catastrophe. The old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it - Spielberg has disregarded this saying and in fact, has managed to break the film in the process.
The digital remastering of films is a brilliant if dubious way of re-presenting films, but messing around with scenes using computers is a no-no. The scenes in question look incredibly fake, add nothing to the film - the one in the bathtub completely disrupts the tone of the movie, ET's face becomes a different colour (!!!!!!!!!!) when the computers come in to play and it just means that your enjoyment of the movie decreases. You end up laughing at it. The very last scene (I'm in tears thinking about it) is completely ruined by the criminal messing around with ET's face as he says: "I'll be right here". Oh God! Where art thou?
In brief, because I'm angry, I would like to sell my copy of this release but I don't want to pass the burden on to someone else - everyone should enjoy the film in its original form: remastered yes, but tampered no. Unfortunately, as it stands you can only buy the 1982 version remastered WITH the crappy 2002 version. Well, I'll just have to do that and throw the spare DVDs away. Please believe me. I adore this film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another outstanding Spielberg Blu Ray, 27 Nov 2012
The usual suspect (2nd aisle on the right, top shelf) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
ahhhhh, remember when Spielberg was all about fun and feel good? No? Well check out E.T!

Love my horror and gore. Love my serious stuff. Love my cheesy action movies. But E.T still has a special place in my movie collection. Never has it stopped making me smile and laugh with nothing other than visuals. Hard to come by these days.

The BD transfer is outstanding again. Not quite the equal of Jaws but knocking on the door. Worthy of upgrading from the DVD in a millisecond!

Audio: English DTS HD-Master 7.1; French DTS-HR 7.1; English and French DTS Surround 2.0; Dutch DTS Surround 5.1

Subs: English SDH; French; Cantonese; Dutch; Korean; Arabic; Traditional Mandarin; Ukranian

Running time: 114mins

I'm trying to confirm that it is actually region free. The disc isn't marked up with any region. Nothing on the box to suggest it is region locked. Blu-ray.com suggest it's region free. Everything suggests it is region free!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational Film!, 3 Nov 2002
ET is, without question, Steven Spielberg's acknowledged masterpiece.
Originally released to stunned cinema audiences worldwide in 1982, ET is a movie containing all of the basic elements required to make it a box office hit. There are comic moments (like ET blowing bubbles in the bath), there are moments of suspense (like when ET tried to run back to his spaceship and we are all wondering if he'll make it), there are haunting and harrowing moments (like the bit when the men in spacesuits invade the house) and there are pure emotional moments (for example, the final scene when ET says goodbye).
The 20th anniversary edition has been digitally remastered and a few extra scenes have been added. John Williams has also brushed up his award-winning score and added a few new tracks to the soundtrack, available on CD.
The DVD contains plenty of interesting and informative extras - especially the option of watching the movie in sync with John Williams' live performance of the score from the premiere at the LA Shrine in March 2002. This basically means that as you watch the movie, the music you hear will be 'live', so the speak - you can ever hear the amazing standing ovation during the end credits! There is also a featurette on reuniting the cast and Spielberg himself, who talk openly and emotionally about their experiences of filming and the effect ET had on their lives.
This DVD is an absolute must for any respectable DVD collection. In my opinion, ET is the greatest film made since the Hollywood boom.

ARRAY(0xa80ebd74)