The Young And The Hopeless
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£3.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 28 October 2003
The main thing to remember when you're listening to GC is that they're NOT hardcore punk, but that doesn't mean that their CD isn't great for basically any occasion. Take 'em with a pinch of salt instead of picking holes in their image, and enjoy the music!
Track by track:
A New Beginning: Can't really rate this.. GC do some instrumental stuff which I'm sure will appeal to some people. Good background music.
The Anthem: Filled with bags of attitude ("another loser anthem") and a punchy chorus, a great opening track guaranteed to get you bouncing around. Nice. (8/10)
Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous: I bought the album on the strength of this single, and in itself it's great.. intense overplay, however, has lowered my love for it substantially. Puts quite a good message across, although somewhat ironic considering the bags of money Joel and the boys must have gained from MTV... (6.5/10)
Wondering: A nice catchy tune and some surprisingly meaningful lyrics make for a great song you'll be humming for the rest of the week. (8.5/10)
The Story of My Old Man: Benji and Joel take the sudden departure of their father lyrically quite lightly, but you can feel the pain in the song. After humming this on the way home, my friend thought I was singing some twisted version of Craig David's 7 Days.. I suppose it is like that a bit. But better. (8/10)
Girls and Boys: Good track. Simple lyrics, simple tune, but it's one of those tracks that stick in your head and that everyone likes.. nice one, boys. (7.5/10)
My Bloody Valentine: Comical song which is one of the closest to pure punk lyrics they're ever going to get. Fun stuff. (8/10)
Hold On: Wow. After a track of light-hearted jokey songs, we get to the nitty gritty stuff. And it's actually rather good. A great message, a good tune, an amazing song. (10/10)
Riot Girl: Catchy tune that gets irritating extremely quickly, quirky lyrics, no real meaning apart from to get girls all around the world to scream "BENJI! I'M YOUR RIOT GIRL!" (6/10)
Say Anything: Another damn good track… surprisingly good. Emotionally sung, one of the few times when Joel seems like a really good singer. (10/10)
The Day that I Die: Taking a deep, deep subject light-heartedly, GC thrash their way throughout this insanely memorable song. (9/10)
The Young and the Hopeless: The heaviest track on the album (which doesn’t really say that much), they confront the fact that no one takes them seriously. And I like the result, I must say… more of this on the next album, boys! (9.5/10)
Emotionless: One of the better songs- this one really tears at the heart-strings. Benji and Joel make, in a way, a peace offering to their father, and it’s really rather touching to listen to… quite beautiful if you’re in the right mood for it. (10/10)
Movin’ On: By far the most energetic song, the shouting vocals and thumping riffs are a great end to the album and show what Good Charlotte are really about. Great stuff. (9/10)
In conclusion, don't buy this if you're looking for really serious heavy punk tracks, but if you want some energetic pop/punk, this is the stuff for you. In my opinion, the second half of the album far betters the first half, and if their next album carries on that theme, I'm certainly going to be buying it.
on 24 September 2005
I only just got into good charlotte about a month ago but i loved all the songs on this album and their other albums as soon as i heard them. The lyrics actually mean something and they are not making any thing up just to make money unlike other bands around today!! I don't really care if people say their not punk or whatever cause the bottom line is their music is gr8!! Emotionless, The Anthem, Girls and Boys, The Young and The Hopeless and Hold On are all my fav tracks on the album. I would recommend it to anyone who does'nt care on what they look like or if they are punk or not just if they want to hear some good music!!!! Every song on this album is worth listening to!!
Good Charlotte Rocks!!!
on 4 June 2003
Wow! Like everyone else I heard "Boys & Girls" on MTV and kinda liked their sound. I was flicking through the music channels when I heard "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" and knew instantly that they were my type of band. I rushed out and bought "The Young and the Hopeless" and wasn't disappointed.
There's a strong sense of family running through the album. The fact that their father left them when they were 16 helped them produce some classic songs such as the rather upbeat "The Story of My Old Man" and the simply stunning "Emotionless". This album has everything, humour, comedy, punk anthems and songs for the social outcasts. Go and buy it now, you will not be disappointed!
on 7 February 2003
I first heard Good Charlotte last year + they have been ruling my CD player ever since. Good Charlotte is made up of identical twins, Joel and Benji, Billy, and Paul. They took their name from a childrens book, when they started playing about 8 years ago. This band has been (+ still is) massive in the US. It will only be a matter of time, until they are just as big here!
'The Young and the Hopeless' is a very different sound to GC's first album, but is definitely a good improvement! All of the songs on the album are great, which makes it really hard to pick a favourite!
'A New Beginning' - Pretty good, but being purely instumental, doesn't make it a catchy one that you remember. However, it shows off some wicked drum beats and guitar skills.
'The Anthem' - GC's next single is great (but not quite as good as Lifestyles!) It shows a defiant attitude, against sticking with the 'system'and following the crowd!
'Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous' - Their 1st UK single - with an entertaining (+ v good) video. Makes a sarcastuc attack at all of those complaining celebrities. Fast + lively with a v catchy melody. Love the bit 'do you know when you're famous she can kill your wife + there's no such thing as 25 to life!'
'Wondering' - Great follow up to Lifestyles + definitely one of the best tracks.
'My Old Man' - Not the best track, but still good. About the twins' dad, which gives the song more of a 'worthwhile' feel, which some of the music in the rock/punk scene could do with.
'Girls & Boys' - V funny track - 'girls don't like boys, girls like cars and money' is the main line - true? - you decide. This song takes a dig at girls + their real motives for liking boys!
'Bloody Valentine' - One of my favourites. It wasn't until about the 50th listen, that I finally understood what the song was about! V funny take on what you could do if you get too jealous of the boyfriend of the girl you like.
'Hold On' - Definitely one of my top few. Starts calm, and laid back, but gets onto a wicked chorus.
'Riot Girl' - Pretty funny - about a girl who 'Christina would really wanna meet'. Doesn't have the best melody of the album - it's still pretty good!
'Say Anything' - More of a ballad, but still fairly upbeat. Great when you're in a tired, laid back mood!
'The Day That I Die' - Hilariously optimitic view of dying! One of my original favourites, that caught my attention. Very sarcastic take on the subject!
'The Young and the Hopeless' - Probably the best track of the album. Sums up all of what GC are about - singing about stuff, questions and feelings which affects ordinary kids. 'if I stumble and I fall, should I get up and carry on?'. Great melody, bass riff and beat.
'Emotionless' - Another favourite. Very heartfelt - a personal message from the band's twins, to their dad. A ballad, but v emotional (pretty ironic)with a georgeous melody.
'Moving On' - Fantastic too!! (no surprises there!) Love the start, with the the guitar intro, then the great drum beat + the start of the lyrics. Another great song, that sings about something other than girls.
This album is a fab album, which if you like life NFG, Blink 182, Sum 41, etc, you must have! The ongoing debate of whether GC is punk or not does not affect the wicked music which they make. What does it matter if they are rock, punk or pop,if the music is good? England has been waiting for a long time, for this East-Coast quartet to hit its shores + now that it's arrived, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!!!
(If you like this album, try out GC's first alblum, 'Good Charlotte'. Quite a different sound, which takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do, you'll love just as much as you like TYATH)
on 7 December 2002
i think good charlotte rock especially 'lifestyles of the rich and famous' i recommend it to anyone who likes punky rock. their style is similar to mest and goldfinger. the best song on this album is 'day that i die' which is different from 'lifestyles of the rich and famous' because it is more mellow. the young and the hopeless by good charlotte is an overall great album and good charlotte are one of the best bands i have heard in a long time.
on 28 October 2003
Track by track:
In conclusion, this is energetic pop/punk at its best.. but don't buy it if you're expecting deep and heavy stuff with booming guitars that make your floors tremble- because that's just not what this band are. The second half of the album far betters the first, and if the band continue in this direction with their new CD, I shall certainly be purchasing it.
on 13 January 2004
I agree with most people who have written reviews, when people ask me or take the piss out of me for liking Good Charlotte, I ask them why they like their type of music. Believe me, people hate answering their own questions. I'm 20 and think Good Charlotte are brilliant, and to also show that I'm a fan, i've created a fan site. Good Charlotte sooths my mood and they are also very down to earth when you speak to them. I've met them 3 times now, and each experience was excellent - paul can definately hold his drink, I'll beat you next time paul.
As for the album - BRILLIANT - can't wait for then next. Each song is brilliant although 'My Bloody Valentine', I don't reckon much too it as it just doesn't seem to appeal to me.
on 19 January 2012
This is one of my all time favourite albums ever! I grew up with this album and bought it in the summer of `03 when I was 13. Good Charlotte have made some pretty awesome music since but nothing as great as this album. It's a modern punk rock classic! I loved it back then and I love it now! It was a massive influence in my school years and continues to be so.

The album's artwork of 3 kids and a man sitting in front of a tv watching an atomic explosion is one of the best covers I have ever seen. You can tell the band grew up on punk rock with references to Minor threat and social distortion. This album is clean cut, awesome punk rock with a catchy feel to it. The album is a step-up from the self-titled debut and brings in a more mature punk sound with some awesome lyrics.

The album starts off with the instrumental A new beginning which has an epic atmosphere to set you up. Then there are modern punk rock classics like The anthem, Lifestyles of the rich and the famous, The story of my old man, riot girl and The young and the hopeless. Then there's what appears to be a love song Wondering but Benji apparently swears it's about his dog! There's songs for being fun Girls and boys, My bloody valentine (the loudest song, which appears to me as if it's either about a boy who's lost a girl and wants her back or a boy who is in love with this girl he can't get so he kills her boyfriend so he can have her for himself!), The day that I die (one of if not my favourite), ballads with Hold on (a hugely influential song about refraining from suicide in the darkest of times), Say anything, and Emotionless; which is a song about the hard times the boys endured after their father walked out on them. Then the final song Movin' on is an amazing anthem about life and inspiring lyrics about living how you want to.

The enhanced section of the CD is a mini autobiography of the band showing some of the making of the record, early shows and the band's opinions on their sound and each other. Pretty cool!

I think it's an album pretty much anyone can relate to. You don't need to be a teenage rebel to enjoy it (although it might help!). Although with a lot of pop punk bands back then and now who had a similar sound GC had something different to offer; meaningful lyrics, an inspirational sound and genuine band members. That's why I keep going back to it. I love it!
on 29 September 2004
Okay, I know this isn't the best album in the world and Good Charlotte aren't the best band on earth BUT The Young and The Hopeless has some very good songs on it. Hold on is probably the best example, this is an incredible song and the video was heartbreaking.
A lot of the people on here that gave it 1 star all seem to have the same problem with it: It's not punk. Well, that's because Good Charlotte aren't punk (they've said so themselves) but why's that a reason not to buy the album?
They might not be punk, but so what, that doesn't make them any less of a good band. It's a worthwhile album to buy, Hold On is reason enough, but there are other great songs on here.
Give it a go.
on 3 February 2003
i bought this album after hearing the great "lifestyles of the rich and famous" on TV, i was so astounded by the quality...i knew i had a new favourite band.
Heres a review of every track:
1. a new beginning 7/10
It is the worst track, but its only an introduction with strange instruments and movie credits feel , represents them as something quite interesting and special.
2. the Anthem 9/10
An amazing addition to the album, with fast paced guitars and energetic singing.
3. Lifestyles of the rich and famous 10/10
The debut UK single, with a brilliant drumming introduction and distorted singing voice. the song makes you want to jump like mad.
4. Wondering 9/10
A more softer track than previous gleaming with musical talent. Tremendous and just brilliant.
5. The story of my old man 8/10
One of the weakest tracks, but still comes through as an enjoyable rocky track.
6. girls and boys 8/10
a different style of music portraying relationships, which is original, distinct and fun.
7. my bloody valentine 9/10
a humourously lyrical song which shows good charlottes best punk.
8. hold on 10/10
a mellow, lifting song, that just makes you turn cold with amazement. One of the best.
9. riot girl 9/10
Catchy and upbeat rhythm makes this a rocking great tune.
10. say anything 10/10
A brilliant emotionally crafted song, touching and very well sung.
11. the day that i die 10/10
sarcastic lyrics and contrapuntal by the lyrics and style of music, its so fun and fabulous.
12. the young and the hopeless 8/10
title track is a good addition, one of the rockiest and loudest of the album proclaiming the bands energy.
13. Emotionless 10+/10
The best song on the album. A different sound to the others with its emotional content about billy and joels father. The track stands out above all others because its plain beautiful.
14. Movin' on. 8/10
Put together with catchy riffs and shouty vocalists, its a great way to show the bands energy and end an album
All together this is the best of punk rock music and is so tantilising that the band are young and will improve upon this masterpiece. Good Charlotte deserve credit, and hope they will be greatly successful. All i can say is if you love Blink 182, the Offspring and Goldfinger, you'll live for Good Charlotte.