Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 December 2002
Ignore what many critics have said: this is a good album. The danger here is that many are reviweing 'Just Whitney' against 'My love is your love' and expect Whitney to carry on from there. She doesn't. This CD is more of a continuation from 'I'm your baby tonight' rather than 'My love is your love'.
However, you need to get past the truly dreadful 'Whatchulookinat'to realy appreciate this album. It just goes to prove that Whitney should stick to singing the song, not writing them. Whatever possesed Arista to issue this as the lead off single from Whitney's 1st album in 4 years is beyond me.
'Tell me no' is the standout heretrack on this set. Love the rock guitar 'solo' at the end. I don't generally like hip hop so I wasn't holding out much hope for the Missy Elliot produced track called 'Things you say'. Surprisingly it is very good. Not hip hop at all but quite bluesy and expansive with a lot of space fro Whitney's voice. What would a Whitney album be without a good old traditional ballad. In this recording it comes in the forms of 'On my own', 'Unashamed' and the Debbie Boone cover 'You light up my life'. Of the trio 'On my own' is the probably the best one in my opinion. You almost expect the refrain from 'I will always love you'
'One of those days' just hits a joyous summer groove and 'Dear John Letter' is excelent. These are typical R&B mid tempo songs sung perfectly to showcase the voice.
on 6 December 2002
Whitney is back with a new album. She doesn't put out an album often but when she does the results are always top notch and she truly doesn't disappoint this time round either. First single 'Whatchulookinat' kicks off the album reminding you that Whitney still has attitude. But this is only the mere tip of the iceberg. 'On My Own' is Whitney doing the searing ballad and she sounds every bit as good as she did singing, 'I will always love you' and 'The Greatest love of all'. 'Unashamed' is another brilliant showcase for her vocals which are back to goosebump time. She does a cover of the Debbie Boone classic 'You light up my life' and surpasses that version with ease. Elsewhere is the more uptempo 'Love that man' which is reminiscint of 'I wanna dance with somebody', 'How will I know' and 'Step by Step'. Then Whitney gets us into a more down tempo mode for the slinky 'Things You Say' which cries out for a late night listen with the lights down low... But truly spectacular is the brilliant 'Tell me No' which Whitney sings with such defiance and which contains a brilliant guitar solo at the end which is in the same league as the excellent 'Santana'. 'Dear John letter' is a funky soul number that has an irresistable and addictive beat that gets under your skin after a few listens and just won't let go.
She teams up with hubby Bobby Brown for the uptempo 'My Love', which showcases two brilliant singers who just happen to be married. No schmaltz either on this song which comes a great surprise.
Then there's upcoming single 'One of those days' which coasts along on a relaxed and sublime melody and with those trademark Whitney vocals caressing the beat. This great song (My personal Favourite) contains The Isley Brothers 'Between the sheets' as a sample, which is pure genius. (Whitney even gives MR BIG a mention in the song!)
Alongside the music Cd is a DVD which contains two Whitney Video's (the rare 'Love to infinity' mix that has a great 'Whitney-through-the-years' video montage).
This album is an extension of Whitney new and Whitney old and blends together surprising well. The diva is back and with her demons now out in the open, anyone can see (and hear), that this time she really has something to sing about and it is 'JUST WHITNEY'.
on 3 December 2002
As one of music's most successful artiste, Whitney Houston has ridden a turbulent storm lately with intense media speculation about her marriage, health, etc. So what better way to divert the attention from the public eye than by releasing a new album 'Just Whitney'.
From listening to it, there is nothing greatly special about the material chosen. Moreover, it comprises of the kind of fail-safe tracks that saw Whitney sell a phenomenal 120 million copies from her previous eight album releases alone.
Enjoyable moments include the smooth R&B groove 'One Of Those Days', the disco-ready pop of 'Love That Man', which harks back to her earlier work, and 'Whatchulookinat?' a sassy snapshot of lyrics and beats about the trials and tribulations of being in the fame spotlight.
The rest of the numbers are standard Whitney numbers - a mixture of power ballads and R&B vibes of the sort that has been her trademark over the years. They simply do their job, no more, no less.
This is one of those indifferent albums where there is nothing negative to say about the music, but at the same time nothing much to shout about either. Overall, 'Just Whitney' is a 'nice-to-have' album rather than a 'must-have' purchase.
on 30 November 2002
If an artist has a small gap between releasing material then people will automatically say their new material is a comback. I disagree!
With the "Just Whitney" album Whitney Houston builds on the success of the "My Love is Your Love" album to produce an album that is pure R'n'B. The album is smooth and sleek - a definite chill out album. It is worthy of the title pure R'n'B and gives more recent R'n'B artists a run for their money.
Fans of 80's Whiney, with her dancy, pop tunes like "I Wanna Dance With Somebody", will probably dislike this album. It contains the fantastic single "Whatchulookinat" which is a direct attack on the press who have given her a lot of negative press over the last few years.
There are some classic Whitney ballads, the best of which being "On My Own". However, that generic R'n'B feel is never to far away, its influence is evedent. Equally evedent is the influence of the new production team she has behind her now that Arista Founder Clive Davis has stepped down. They have pulled out all the stops to make this album the next logical progression from "My Love is Your Love".
Other well delivered and produced gems on the album include the Babyface produced "Tell Me know", the upbeat "Love That Man" and the forthcoming, Sh'ekspere produced single "One of those Days"
"Just Whitney" is a must have for all Whitney Fans as it demonstrates her versatility and ability to adapt to the changing face of popular music. R'n'B fans too, will find a gem of an album here. Whitney's voice is as flawless as every.
It's not a comeback, because as soon as you press play on the HiFi, you realise, she's never been away!
on 19 February 2006
Ignore all the reviews that have been given above! Trust me! This album rocks- people just trash anything that isn't like the bodyguard soundtrack..and thats just true! This album is quality RnB/Pop songs. If you like that genre of music then you will like this album!
The first track 'Whatchulookinat'- I love this song and I like the lyrics to it as well- It's sort of a Michael Jackson/Mary J Blige song..I'm glad she has finally blasted back at the Media for trashing her and her marriage to Bobby Brown. Great tune!
The 2nd track- Tell me No- again its basically a filler but its a great track anyway- i love the lyrics, e.g. 'and I just can't wait for the day that I can rub things in your face/I'm not gonna stop, till I reach the top I'm number 1'! Again b,asting the media.
The 3rd track is a great song- One of Those days- a soft/soulful voice on this tune- a classic RnB tune- RnB lovers will love it!
Things you say which is produced by the Genious Missy Elliot- if you have heard her previous album (My Love is Your Love, track 'Oh Yes', it sort of resembles that, I recommend My Love is Your Love album). The sing itslef is a great slow jamz!
My Love- with Bobby Brown- This is a great tune. It has a gospel feel to it also. The bridge 'you gotta go through the fire, the rain, take the joy and endure the pain' is fantastic! It's a beautiful song even better than Whitney and Bobby's previous collaboration 'Something in Common'.
Love that man- this is a great tune! Its upbeat and her voice is great init- a dance tune!
On My own (aka Try it on my own)- this is the highlight of the album. Whitney's vocals shine through on this proving that she can still do it! Her voice is so smooth and soulful on this tune! It resembles aspects of the 'Greatest Love of All' and 'I will always love you'. Worth buying this album just for this track alone!
Dear John Letter/Unashamed- this tracks are proper RnB tunes! Whitney's vocals on Unashamed are spot on!
The album ends with a remix of Whatchulookinat featuring P.Diddy...a great remix!
I would give this album 4 out of 5!
on 19 February 2006
I would give this album 4 out of 5!
on 22 January 2012
Just Whitney is as close to the old Whitney as i've heard from later albums, maybe not as strong on the vocals as times but still great.
Highlights for me - tell me no / unashamed / one of those days..
This is a good rounded set from Whitney and if it's not in your collection you're missing out.
on 17 January 2003
Say what you want but I really like this album. Everyone seems to expect this to be a comeback album, but Whitney didn't go anywhere as far as I'm concerned. The songs on this album aren't not so easy to sing the Whitney does. Imagine Jennifer Lopez singing "You light up my life". You catch my drift? "One of these days" - absolutely fantastic and I wonder why this was not released as the first single from this album. "Dear John Letter" has tenacity, once you've listened to it, you'd want to play it again and again. "Watchulookinat" is an pop/R&B tune with lyrics that hit you in the face. The delivery is fantastic, as always with Whitney. The album is short and I would have wished for more songs but I guess quality wins over quantity. Not the best from the greatest diva in the world but don't diss this album!
on 21 March 2011
Not as good as I Look To You (Which is the best album ever!) but is still a fantastic album! You light up my life, Tell me No, Whatchoulookinat, Try it on my own are especially great songs and unmistakably Whitney! Well worth the £6 or so i paid for it, nice to own another piece of the greatest singer of all time! It is one of the few albums i would advise people to actually buy! And if you havnt Already get I Look To You! There actually isn't one bad song on that album!!!!! BUY! BUY! BUY!
on 15 December 2010
I have to be honest from the start, and say that I initially just bought this album to complete my collection, being the only Whitney album I didn't own, and I wasn't really expecting much from it. After having listened it through, I'm glad I did, and I'm happy to say it's my favourite album by her. While this album contains no classic Whitney tracks, it's full of contemporary gems that fans of modern R&B will love. Whitney sounds great throughout, it's just a brilliant album.