5.0 out of 5 stars Very Clear, Bright & Sharp with Good Image Stabilisation
I,m very impressed with the performance of these binoculars, the image stabilisation works very well meaning that you can use these binoculars easily whilst traveling in a moving vehicle.
Also they let plenty of light in so they perform well at night.
Published on 18 July 2009 by John H

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly underwhelmed...
Swayed by excellent reviews everywhere, I decided to break the bank and go for Canon's Image Stabilising technology when choosing a new pair of binoculars. As you'd expect from Canon, image quality is excellent, they're really pin sharp. And battery life on the two AAs used for the image stabilising is good. Additionally, some reviews have commented upon their weight - I...
Published 4 months ago by inky

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Clear, Bright & Sharp with Good Image Stabilisation, 18 July 2009
This review is from: Canon 10 x 30 Image Stabilising Binoculars with Neck Strap & Soft Case (Electronics)
Also they let plenty of light in so they perform well at night.
In general use I have found them quick and easy to focus and the image is sharp and bright right up to the edges.
They come in a soft zipped case which is of a generous size making it quick and easy to put them back in as well as taking them out.
The binoculars are supplied with dust caps for the eye pieces but not for the main lenses which are fairly deep set so probably not too prone to damage.
The image stabilization is powered of 2 aa batteries which seem to last a long time, to operate the image stabiliser you simply keep a button on top near the focus wheel pressed in.
weight wise they are not the lightest 10 x 30 binnocs around but the little extra weight added by the image stabilising feature its well worth it, also they feel quite robust and solidly made with a rubberised finish. I have used them in poor weather conditions and so far they have performed well and not got steamed up inside.
I have had them for a year during which time they once got Knocked of the kitchen worktop onto a vinyl floor without suffering any damage.
Overall I give them 5 stars.
John H

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive bit of kit, 10 Jun. 2007
Amazon Customer "cjwinyorks" (N Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Had these about a week now. Good optics with very clear field of view. The image stabilising works impressive;y. I have a slight tremor and objects at some distance tend to constantly wobble. Push down the button and all is still. This makes everything so much clearer. The focussing is quick and smooth.

So why 4 stars only? They are a little heavy with all the IS mechanism, my wife feels she couldn't watch things for long, the case isn't reinforced so the expensive binocuars are at risk and the large lenses haven't protective caps.

Still, I'm very pleased with these and they impress all who try them

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing..., 25 July 2008
Mr. G. T. Jones (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought these and expected that the benefits of IS were over-stated.. however I am truly amazed. IS makes a HUGE difference to resolving power. These really live up to expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing IS, 26 Oct. 2011
C. Hawkes "Livefats" (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Looking at the specifications I was dubious about these: normally 10 power bins need an objective lens of 50mm or more. The lack of waterprrofing also concerned me at the price: and when they arrived with a rather flimsy case and no objective lens caps I feared the worst.

However, in the field all doubts were blown away by the performance. Bird identification was a breeze with these: I also had with me comparable priced Hawke 8 x 43 EDs (better coated lenses, waterproof, great case and lens caps) and the Canons stood up well to the test comparison. However, when the Image Stabilisation button was depressed , there was no contest: the Canon image became rock steady, and I was instantly sold.

After six months hard use, I remain a fan of these bins. They are light enough to be "go anywhere" binoculars - although much heavier than 10x25s, and the performance with IS, negating handshake, mean that I don't take the Hawkes out any more. The binoculars take one AA battery: I use rechargeables (2500 mA) and one lasts me two or three sessions (although I always carry a spare.) Of course, if the battery dies, you can still use the bins without IS, and they'll do the job.

I don't care any more about lack of good case - I carry them in my rucksack, in a bumbag, but more usually just around my neck. I don't fret about lack of lens caps: I just don't pack them with hard objects - but as they spend most of their time around my neck, I'd not want them anyway. These are great binoculars: cannot recommend them enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 11 Jan. 2010
Bought these binoculars for my Father for Christmas 2009 having read other positive reviews. As he is in his late 70's I was hoping that the IS system would be useful in steadying his hand. Dad has been extremely pleased with them,they are so much better than the ones he had before. Yes, they are expensive but they seem nice quality and very well made. Not too heavy or bulky for him. They let in plenty of light and are nice and bright to look through. Overall extremely pleased and would recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing brightness and clarity, 16 Jan. 2012
Dr. J. S. Hayre (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
I've had a chance to use them today in the bright sunlight we had in Kent :) I compared them to my quality, but old, 6x30 bins and my rather poor 20x50 bins.

These Canon 10x30 IS bins are simply amazing by comparison. Very sharp clear bright view, and when you need to focus on details such as plumage then IS makes a massive difference.

Try reading text (e.g. car plates) at a distance and it is amazing how much easier and clearer it becomes with IS active. So much so that I fail to understand why anyone would buy quality bins exceeding 6x without IS (unless they plan on exclusively using a tripod).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great binos, made even better by IS, 19 Aug. 2009
I had seen these binoculars recommended for astronomy and decided to risk getting a pair. They are excellent binoculars in their own right, the use of Image Stabilisation shifts them up a gear.
All four moons of Jupiter are easily visible and snap into sharp vision at a push of the button. In night conditions 'IS' definitely makes up for lack of aperture size.
I have used them for whale watching in the Bay of Fundy - the fact that the image stabilisation works from a fast moving boat is remarkable.
Depending on height, type, etc, it is often possible to read the markings on aircraft flying overhead.

I do not find the bulkier size a handicap and the weight is actually less than my excellent, smaller 8x30 Carl Zeiss Jena binos.

Battery life can be quite short specially in coldish conditions so I now use expensive Lithium AA batteries which are unaffected by cold and the last ones have lasted about a year now.

Front objective lenses are quite well set back and reasonably protected but the eyepieces do need a much better cover (separate plastic, easy to lose caps are supplied). I acquired an all-in-one (double eyepiece)dust cover from a different pair of binos that fitted. These are much better at protecting from showers and dust and remain attached at all times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watching the World in HD!, 29 Aug. 2011
Wayne - See all my reviews
These Bino's are great. The quality of the image is like watching the world in HD!

The stabilisation is unbelievable, heaven knows how they have managed to make this work. I can now sit and watch the Birds in my garden for ages. No more wobbles, it makes watching wildlife a real pleasure. To activate the stabilisation just press and hold the button on the top. Panning your vista is simply stunning, you can very easily track a Blackbird trotting across the lawn!

The stabilisation requires 2 x AA batteries to work. There's a little door at the bottom, simply flick it open and plug the batteries in. I'd recommend using Alkaline batteries - rechargables will work however they do not last as long. That is true for most electronic devices, not just these Binoculars. My first set of batteries lasted around 10 months. Of corse, it depends on how often you use them. I was 'full on' for that first 10 months, so I guess an occasional user would get over a year!

The image is crystal clear, even if you wear glasses. They are heavy to hold and substantial in size, however I quite like the fact that they are like this. They come with a carry bag and strap, there is a strap for both the bag and the Bino's. One of the eye pieces can be adjusted for a different focal length too.

The focus dial is smooth and reassuring and will certainly not slip if the Bino's are accidentally jolted.

This is a buy once piece of kit and should last a lifetime. "Buy Cheap, Buy Twice" - I would certainly recommend buying these if you're serious about watching wildlife (or Sport). It really will make it a pleasurable experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent astronomy binoculars., 17 Sept. 2008
I was advised to buy these bins buy a firend who has a pair. As an avid ameture astronmer am always on the look out for a good pair of binoculars, at first i was put off buy the lack of aperture, i was always under the impression that the miniumum size of a binocular for astronomy was about 7x35 which are also great, but was hugely impressed by the power of these binoculars as well as the quality of the lenses. i would say that they work as well as standard 7x50s, as a result of the image stablization. These IS binoculars are the best of both worlds as mixture of great portability and stabilazation. For standard day time use they are equaly as good, not sure how they would work for birdwatching, but i feel that they would be ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon 10x30 IS binoculars, 2 Aug. 2011
E. Foote (Manchester.) - See all my reviews
I ordered these binoculars on Thursday; they arrived early Monday morning. Typically good Amazon service. They are brilliant. They look very space-age and impressive and though they are heavier than conventional compact binoculars they sit comfortably in the hands in use. Optically they are what you would expect from a good quality instrument, but when you get them you cannot wait to try the image stabiliser function, which is why everybody buys them in the first place. Press the IS button and good performance becomes superb performance.

On my second day of ownership I viewed the almost unbelievable antics of a squirrel in a large tree in full leaf. Without IS all would have been a blur. With IS I had a crystal clear image that captured every single movement. Image stabilisation really is that good.

I'm glad I bought them.