on 17 February 2010
Bought this for my Nikon D90. It's a great price for what it is. Small, but great ergonomics. The button feels resilient and has a satisfying 'click' to it. I've also found the range to be good as well; tested it up to approx 40m and it worked well (ran out of space indoors after that so couldn't test it further).

There are a few drawbacks, however.

1. I bought this for making long exposures in the D90's 'bulb' mode. In this mode, the first click of the button will open the shutter and it will stay open until the second button press. However, for some unknown reason, the shutter will only stay open for a maximum of 30 minutes! I had been hoping to make exposures longer than this and did not realize that one can only do this with the WIRED remote. Seems silly that this remote cannot do the same as the wired one and I'll now have to make a second purchase.

2. The button is not a 2-stop trigger mechanism, like the shutter release on the D90, or indeed on the WIRED remote! A minor point, but again, I do not see why this feature could not be implemented if it is present on the wired remote. Maybe to keep costs down?

3. The remote has to be pointed at the front of the camera to work. Again, a minor point, and I have been able to 'bounce' the signal off walls, quite effectively, to use the remote from the side of the camera.

In conclusion, I wouldn't buy this remote if I had the choice again. For long exposure work it is far better to have the wired remote. For taking self-portraits etc. in front of the camera, however, it may be useful if you do not want to work with the camera's self-timer.
55 comments|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 February 2010
The remote seems to work fine, but it would help people choose where or not to buy if the description made it clearer that, being infra-red, it will only operate if you have "line of sight" on the IR receiver on the camera, which typically is on the front near the handle, well on my D3000 anyway. This means that you can't use it to take pictures when operating from behind the camera (or even in front, if the IR receiver is obstructed by the lens, as when you are on the left side of the camera).
on 2 August 2006
Agree with all the previous reviews - small, neat, does the job etc. I reckon the price is out of sync with the product, but they obviously get away with charging what they like. Incidentallly Amazon was not the cheapest for this item, they wanted £17 last week, then when I checked back it had risen to £23.90. So when I was in the local Jessops I found it for £14.99. Guess where I bought it in the end? Remote shutter release mechanisms are always good fun and open up different opportunities for photographic fiddling.
33 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 September 2008
Its a remote for compatible Nikon DSLR's, offering plenty of range for self portraits, and group shots with you in shot.

Check where the sensor to pick this up on your camera is, the D60's is on the front, so outdoors you may get problems taking photo's with the remote from behind, for example when the camera's on a tripod, and you're trying to get that perfect landscape.

Comes with a small pouch that attaches to the neck strap on your camera.

Much cheaper than in the shops (currently about £15 at most Nikon dealers)

In short, it works well, its a great addition to your outfit, and as long as your camera can see the beam (weather direct or bounced of something) it'll do the job.
on 29 January 2016
First, I would give this product 5 stars but have scored it down due to a fake I have received in the past: As always when online, caution should be advised. I bought one of these from Amazon in October 2015 (not looking at where it was being shipped from). It turns out it was from China (the Amazon storefront of the company is now empty). Initially it worked,but when it stopped working in January 2016, I ordered a new one, this time supplied and fulfilled by Amazon. It can now clearly be seen that the first one was a fake. My stupid fault for not being smarter online. I have attached a photo so you can see the difference. The one on the right is genuine. Note the difference in the silver colour, the slightly too fat 'O' in Nikon and the different label on the back. The general feel of the device is different as well. There are differences in the colouring on the box they come in as well. If I had wanted a generic, no-name one, then there plenty of them around
review image
on 23 February 2005
I was surprised when it came, because it's only 35-40mm long. The little pouch can be threaded onto the neck strap. It's not just for taking self-portraits. You can use it instead of a cable release. The camera's on the tripod, but you could still wobble it with your shutter press. Using this instead will eliminate that.
Would have liked a key-ring loop on it. Only 4 stars because to be honest I think it could have costed less.
I always try to get the official Nikon items rather than aftermarket copies, and this remote was no exception to the rule.

It works well and it helps to be in line-of-site of the remote sensor on the camera body as it becomes much more sensitive to the button press.

One word of warning: mine needed a new battery after a few days of getting the item. I thought it was not very responsive until the battery was replaced, and now it is much better. If yours seems the same then try replacing the battery as the first port of call.
on 5 March 2014
I bought this to use with my newly purchased D3200 - and it works fine using both the front & rear infra-red sensors on the camera. It's a genuine Nikon product and comes with a handy material case. It's plastic and quite small (2" x 1"). I've read some reviews which say that it does not work with a D3200 - so here's 3 (very obvious) pointers to get it to work. 1. When you remove it from the packaging you'll see there's a fine plastic strip protruding from the base - that's there to prevent the battery connection until ready for use - gently pull that strip out & discard it. 2. You must set the camera shutter release to remote mode (either 2 secs delay or instant release). 3. If you are using a lens which is capable of and is set to use auto-focus, you must either pre-set the focus of your shot (press the shutter release button half-way down) or switch the lens to manual focus mode. As I said, these tips are quite obvious - but I confess I knew the first two but had to play around with the camera and remote to work out the third! Once I'd done all 3 - it worked fine. In my opinion it's a handy gadget to have and well-worth the price.
on 2 July 2009
I've found that this remote doesn't work 100% well with my Nikon D40. I don't know if other cameras are more receptive, but I find with the D40 it's very directional, sometimes even to the point of having to hold it fairly close (but not too close) to the shutter button to get it to actually fire the shutter. It never works on any side of the camera except the right-hand side with the shutter button (presumably where the infra-red sensors are).

It's still a very useful thing, it's just initially figuring out where to point it (and it seems to vary as to precisely where on the right side of the camera that is) can get annoying, and may cause you to miss "the shot". If you want to use this to get action shots and want to be 100% sure that it will fire the shutter with every press, I would avoid it and get a cable release instead.
on 9 January 2009
Everything previous reviewers have said about this litte device is true, so 5 stars are earned. What I would point out is the idiocy of not including a single line of instructions. What you do get is the dumbest leaflet ever instructing you how to throw away your new purchase, (but not in a wheelie bin)in 23 languages. Madness.
Bottom line is ignore the euro-crap and enjoy the gadget.