5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin...
Published on 1 Dec 2007 by Skitz

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT for exposures OVER 30 MINUTES
Bought this for my Nikon D90. It's a great price for what it is. Small, but great ergonomics. The button feels resilient and has a satisfying 'click' to it. I've also found the range to be good as well; tested it up to approx 40m and it worked well (ran out of space indoors after that so couldn't test it further).

There are a few drawbacks, however...
Published on 17 Feb 2010 by BSW

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin..., 1 Dec 2007
This review is from: Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control (Camera)
The Nikon remote is a great little device and works very well with my Nikon D40. I've used it a lot for self-portraits as well as when I'm using the camera on my tripod to avoid any shaking from pressing the shutter release button. It's especially useful when using the `bulb' mode on the camera. I've now taken some amazing long-exposure shots at night of star trails, etc.

Quick Hint: The remote doesn't come with any instructions and I spent the first 5 minutes pointing the remote at my camera with no result. How did I solve the problem?
Remember to go into the `Shooting Mode' option in your camera menu and select one of the remote control modes! Oops! Bit of a novice mistake on my part!

5.0 out of 5 stars The lone photographer's friend..., 14 Jan 2008
Christopher Nicholls (Manchester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control (Camera)
What a great little gadget! I've only had mine a few days but I've already put it to good use with self-portraits and experimenting with long exposure images on my D40, which has produced some very impressive photographs!

This will definitely come in handy on family days out when I want to get everyone in the shot, including myself. Another good use is for my night-photography project, I can operate the tripod-mounted camera without touching it, thus reducing movement and improving the steadiness. This is a must for night/long-exposure photography as the slightest movement will drag the light trail across the image.

The cover is made of good material and is a very good fit for the remote. There's even a set of small holes punched to thread onto a neck-strap if you wish to carry it that way. I keep my entire kit safe in the bag and only take it out when I need it, but the functionality is there if you want it.

Although the remote is small (it fits in the palm of your hand) it feels well put together and durable. The remote even comes with a battery already fitted (with plastic divider over the connection) which is a massive bonus as I didn't have any of those and I was able to use right out of the box! Thanks Nikon!

All in all I think this item is well worth the money and as part of my kit it will be used on a regular basis. Its one of those items that you don't think you need, but when the time comes where it's a necessity, you'll be glad you have it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does more than I thought..., 9 Dec 2005
This review is from: Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control (Camera)
I bought this so that I could use the bulb setting on my D50 without shaking my camera everywhere.
I was very happily surprised to find that when you set the camera to 'remote' mode, the bulb mode changes from having to hold the button down for the duration of the shot to where you have to press the button once to start the shot and again to finish - great!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Gadget, but..., 12 Jan 2009
This review is from: Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control (Camera)
This is an excellent little remote shutter release for Nikon's D40, D40x, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80 and D90 DSLRs, handy, portable, simple to operate: all you could really ask.

It should be noted however, that despite Amazon's frequent offerings, there is no point in getting one for a D100, D200, D300 or D700, or indeed any model of D1, D2 or D3. These cameras only take Nikon's range of 10-pin accessories, and don't have the sensor that the ML-L3 requires.

This doesn't take away from this excellent device: just don't get it if you won't be able to use it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin!, 11 Jun 2006
Dicko (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control (Camera)
It's a remote which i bought for my Nikon D50, guess what? It works a treat!
It's a remote (v small) which allows you to take photo's without shaking your camera. And it works. If you need to take longer exposure photo's this is what you're after and the price is good. Not sure why this wasn't provided with the camera as it is a cheap and effective bit of kit.

Update (April 09) - just been on holiday and tried to use the remote from a distance of about 5 meters, no joy. It's great if you're nearby the camera, but please bear in mind that it's not not up to the job if you're a fair distance away. Also, it works with my D90 as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon ML-L3 Remote, 3 Feb 2005
Mr. P. Marston (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control (Camera)
Bought one of these based on the above recommendation and it works fine. Mine has a velcro seal on the supplied pouch and a (tiny) cut-out belt loop so the remote won't fall out.
The box says 'made in china' so there may be some variation between manufacturing sites in what you get.
Controls my D70 AOK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes - it works with the D80, 5 Jan 2007
This review is from: Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control (Camera)
Bought two of these from Amazon (one for my Nikon D80 and the other for a friends Nikon D40)

Works great ! The sensor on the D80 is on the front left hand side but this remote works fine even behind the camera indoors (presumably bouncing off the walls). Outside needs to be at least to the left side of the camera.

Price on here seems to go up and down all the time but at under [...] its a bargain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says., 29 April 2008
Yes It's a remote control for these cameras, but it's an infra-red shutter release and no more. So if you were expecting to to be able to change settings forget it. Frankly the feel is what you might expect from an up-market christmas cracker but at the price it is worth it.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT for exposures OVER 30 MINUTES, 17 Feb 2010
This review is from: Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control (Camera)

There are a few drawbacks, however.

1. I bought this for making long exposures in the D90's 'bulb' mode. In this mode, the first click of the button will open the shutter and it will stay open until the second button press. However, for some unknown reason, the shutter will only stay open for a maximum of 30 minutes! I had been hoping to make exposures longer than this and did not realize that one can only do this with the WIRED remote. Seems silly that this remote cannot do the same as the wired one and I'll now have to make a second purchase.

2. The button is not a 2-stop trigger mechanism, like the shutter release on the D90, or indeed on the WIRED remote! A minor point, but again, I do not see why this feature could not be implemented if it is present on the wired remote. Maybe to keep costs down?

3. The remote has to be pointed at the front of the camera to work. Again, a minor point, and I have been able to 'bounce' the signal off walls, quite effectively, to use the remote from the side of the camera.

In conclusion, I wouldn't buy this remote if I had the choice again. For long exposure work it is far better to have the wired remote. For taking self-portraits etc. in front of the camera, however, it may be useful if you do not want to work with the camera's self-timer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D50 Remote, 2 Aug 2006
Mr. G. Carrel (Evesham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control (Camera)
Agree with all the previous reviews - small, neat, does the job etc. I reckon the price is out of sync with the product, but they obviously get away with charging what they like. Incidentallly Amazon was not the cheapest for this item, they wanted £17 last week, then when I checked back it had risen to £23.90. So when I was in the local Jessops I found it for £14.99. Guess where I bought it in the end? Remote shutter release mechanisms are always good fun and open up different opportunities for photographic fiddling.

Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control