5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin...
Published on 1 Dec 2007 by Skitz

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT for exposures OVER 30 MINUTES
Bought this for my Nikon D90. It's a great price for what it is. Small, but great ergonomics. The button feels resilient and has a satisfying 'click' to it. I've also found the range to be good as well; tested it up to approx 40m and it worked well (ran out of space indoors after that so couldn't test it further).

There are a few drawbacks, however...
Published on 17 Feb 2010 by BSW

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin..., 1 Dec 2007
This review is from: Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control (Camera)
The Nikon remote is a great little device and works very well with my Nikon D40. I've used it a lot for self-portraits as well as when I'm using the camera on my tripod to avoid any shaking from pressing the shutter release button. It's especially useful when using the `bulb' mode on the camera. I've now taken some amazing long-exposure shots at night of star trails, etc.

Quick Hint: The remote doesn't come with any instructions and I spent the first 5 minutes pointing the remote at my camera with no result. How did I solve the problem?
Remember to go into the `Shooting Mode' option in your camera menu and select one of the remote control modes! Oops! Bit of a novice mistake on my part!

5.0 out of 5 stars The lone photographer's friend..., 14 Jan 2008
Christopher Nicholls (Manchester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control (Camera)
What a great little gadget! I've only had mine a few days but I've already put it to good use with self-portraits and experimenting with long exposure images on my D40, which has produced some very impressive photographs!

This will definitely come in handy on family days out when I want to get everyone in the shot, including myself. Another good use is for my night-photography project, I can operate the tripod-mounted camera without touching it, thus reducing movement and improving the steadiness. This is a must for night/long-exposure photography as the slightest movement will drag the light trail across the image.

The cover is made of good material and is a very good fit for the remote. There's even a set of small holes punched to thread onto a neck-strap if you wish to carry it that way. I keep my entire kit safe in the bag and only take it out when I need it, but the functionality is there if you want it.

Although the remote is small (it fits in the palm of your hand) it feels well put together and durable. The remote even comes with a battery already fitted (with plastic divider over the connection) which is a massive bonus as I didn't have any of those and I was able to use right out of the box! Thanks Nikon!

All in all I think this item is well worth the money and as part of my kit it will be used on a regular basis. Its one of those items that you don't think you need, but when the time comes where it's a necessity, you'll be glad you have it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does more than I thought..., 9 Dec 2005
This review is from: Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control (Camera)
I bought this so that I could use the bulb setting on my D50 without shaking my camera everywhere.
I was very happily surprised to find that when you set the camera to 'remote' mode, the bulb mode changes from having to hold the button down for the duration of the shot to where you have to press the button once to start the shot and again to finish - great!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Gadget, but..., 12 Jan 2009
This review is from: Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control (Camera)
This is an excellent little remote shutter release for Nikon's D40, D40x, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80 and D90 DSLRs, handy, portable, simple to operate: all you could really ask.

It should be noted however, that despite Amazon's frequent offerings, there is no point in getting one for a D100, D200, D300 or D700, or indeed any model of D1, D2 or D3. These cameras only take Nikon's range of 10-pin accessories, and don't have the sensor that the ML-L3 requires.

This doesn't take away from this excellent device: just don't get it if you won't be able to use it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin!, 11 Jun 2006
Dicko (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control (Camera)
It's a remote which i bought for my Nikon D50, guess what? It works a treat!
It's a remote (v small) which allows you to take photo's without shaking your camera. And it works. If you need to take longer exposure photo's this is what you're after and the price is good. Not sure why this wasn't provided with the camera as it is a cheap and effective bit of kit.

Update (April 09) - just been on holiday and tried to use the remote from a distance of about 5 meters, no joy. It's great if you're nearby the camera, but please bear in mind that it's not not up to the job if you're a fair distance away. Also, it works with my D90 as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control, 24 Mar 2010
K. Wong (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control (Camera)
Looked around for a wireless remote and came across cheaper products but decided to remain with Nikon for reliability. Works flawlessly with my D90. It already comes with a battery which is very handy and means I could use it instantly.

A very simple device of just one button. It has a great battery economy as I've taken 3000+ photos with the included battery already for my timelapse project. Indoors the signal bounces around the walls so it can work even when behind the camera, the sensor being on the front left. Outdoors, you do need to make sure the remote is pointed towards the sensor but it has a wide beam and so can still be used at quite wide angles. Have not been able to test the range of it yet.

I'm very happy with it. It has helped free up my photography. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon ML-L3 Remote, 3 Feb 2005
Mr. P. Marston (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control (Camera)
Bought one of these based on the above recommendation and it works fine. Mine has a velcro seal on the supplied pouch and a (tiny) cut-out belt loop so the remote won't fall out.
The box says 'made in china' so there may be some variation between manufacturing sites in what you get.
Controls my D70 AOK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes - it works with the D80, 5 Jan 2007
This review is from: Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control (Camera)
Bought two of these from Amazon (one for my Nikon D80 and the other for a friends Nikon D40)

Works great ! The sensor on the D80 is on the front left hand side but this remote works fine even behind the camera indoors (presumably bouncing off the walls). Outside needs to be at least to the left side of the camera.

Price on here seems to go up and down all the time but at under [...] its a bargain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says., 29 April 2008
Yes It's a remote control for these cameras, but it's an infra-red shutter release and no more. So if you were expecting to to be able to change settings forget it. Frankly the feel is what you might expect from an up-market christmas cracker but at the price it is worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product from Nikon - and works with Nikon D5000, 16 Jan 2010
J. Fry (South Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control (Camera)
When this remote control first arrived in the post, I was amazed at how tiny it was - cute in fact! It came with a little case which can be attached to a camera strap. It's probably a good idea to use this, because if you carry it in your pocket, being so tiny, it could easily be pulled out with something else and lost.

Anyway about the product itself - well it works a treat, and is indispensible for self portraits or for when you may want to include yourself in a group shot. SO much easier than setting the timer - running to position yourself - then running back to do the whole thing again for a second shot.
I can set my camera (a Nikon D5000) to take the shot immediately the button is pressed on the remote, or set it for a 2 second delay - very useful. This might be different with other Nikon DSLR cameras.

One small point: there are no instructions with this little device, but then it doesn't really need any. But I DO think a little leaflet could be enclosed advising the user to refer to their camera manual, as it's the camera that has to be set up for remote control. And like others have done, I first attempted to use it without changing the camera's release mode settings. It was not obvious at first, that this needed to be done, but after a couple of failed attempts to make it work, that's when I thought to check out the manual. After that - no problems.

Also well worth knowing - after using the remote, when you switch the camera off, the release mode setting returns to normal. The setting also returns to normal after about one minute if the camera is not operated. I imagine this would be the case with all Nikon DSLR's.

To sum up (disregarding the initial hiccup), I can only say that this little remote control is just brilliant! Five stars absolutely! And at the price, even if you don't think you'll need to use it that often, it's worth adding to your kit for the moment you WILL.

Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control