Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£7.00+ £1.26 shipping

on 27 February 2003
'Welcome to the coloured section' sings Donnie, welcome indeed. This album of harmonic soul is an essay on what it is to play in the 'negro league' in present day America. It isn't the pained anger of Marvin Gaye's 'What's Going On' or the in-your-face protestation of Isaac Hayes, it's something more relaxed in its skin. Though the album shares the texture of Gaye and Haye's work, it is beautifully produced and rich with bass and rhythm. Donnie is talking to those in the coloured section and to those just visiting, esp. when he states 'I'm not a nigger, I'm negro. When I become a nigger, I'll tell you so.' (got that Samuel L Jackson).
And there's the issue of women, well, isn't there always. Some jumping grooves going on, yeah, literally, on this CD. It's intelligent, unflustered and hip-swaying stuff. It'll appeal to those who enjoy Shuggie Otis and the Disposable Heroes and US3-like jazz lifts. It's the direction you'd hope the maturing fans of Blue and their ilk might go, turning from liquids to solids, this wouldn't be inaccessible to their impoverished minds and it would open up astonishing soul vistas. It's sweet, give it a spin.
on 23 February 2004
I read an article about Donnie in Straight No Chaser and thought to myself; Great, just what the world needs - another neo-soul singer to join the ranks. Every vaguely talented singer-songwriter seems to get heralded as the salvation of soul music, but very few are capable of delivering on that promise. So let's just forget about that and focus on the music.
The decision to buy this CD was one of the few sensible decisions I've made in the last year. The CD sits as close to the CD player as possible, ready to jump in whenever another album sags in the middle. Every song is a winner, the lyrics actually bear repeated listening, and the instrumentation is tight, echoing the 70s, 80s and 90s. Sure, Donnie is channelling Stevie Wonder in a big way, but that's no bad thing by any standard.
Has anybody ever asked you to list your top 10 CDs? This is one of those CDs. If you love soul music, ancient or modern, place your order today - Donnie delivers.
on 12 June 2003
This is without a doubt the best album I have heard this year. I was blown away by his Gospel trained voice and the oh so beautiful melodies. At times it's as if time stood still and I'm listening to another majestic Stevie album. But although you can here the influence of Mr Wonder and his namesake Mr Hathaway - Donnie's no cardboard cutout of these musical icons. This is simply one of the best soul albums of THIS generation with thankfully no intros and interludes posing as songs. Standouts are 'Cloud 9', 'Do You Know', 'You got a friend' and my personal favourite 'Heaven Sent'. And I defy you not to close your eyes and croon with him on the 'Coloured Section'! I picked up this album by chance and what mystifies me is that I'd never heard of him. I sincerely hope that a star is born but you've got to find out for yourself!
on 4 June 2003
Absolute, cross my heart,this is one of the best R&b cds that ever existed. With Neosoul becoming more and more popular,Donnie excells all competition with melodies that you could listen to all day. With influences from the like of stevie wonder and donnie hathaway,donnie takes is originality and brings to par with Stevie. With songs like "do you know" and "cloud9" you'd wonder how comes you've never heard of his name before. To conclude The Coloured Section contains all the elements of a proper R&b/Soul album. I garantee that you will not be disappointed and that you will not skip a song on this CD.Go to the coloured section.
on 1 September 2003
I listened to Donnie on the beach in Zakynthos, Greece (Aug 2003)...Donnie's vocal ability, coupled with his lyrics took me back to when I first heard Lauryn Hill's "miseducation". Clarity, purity, emotion filled...simply brilliant! Trust me, you won't be disappointed. The title track, plus 'Big Black Buck' are only two of my preferred tracks. Readers, please purchase this cd. You won't be disappointed.
on 19 October 2011
Donnie is an excellent and somewhat under rated artist. Enjoyed the entire album. Worth buying and adding to your collection, particularly if you like smooth soul/neo soul. Great sound.
on 26 May 2010
I love this album. Nice catchy tracks. I also like the house version of Cloud Nine which I heard first, but the album is definately a good buy.
on 15 January 2005
lovely voice carries the album.
but the digital rhytm's, hints of a pre sixteen year old using computer synths!
The album credits read bad donnie and one other guy.
When i say digital the so called backing rhytm is one guy on his computer/digital synth, the result is commercial, badly produced, *bad* commercial r'n'b.
I bought this cd on the back of the other reviews dissapointed to say the least donnie get a decent producer or better again band, end of story...