Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£17.99+ £1.26 shipping

on 6 July 2004
To begin I should say I was not an expert on Squezee's ouput by any stretch of the imagination, which is not to say that I was not delighted with practically everything I heard by them. Somewhat the coming together of Difford and Tilbrook brought memories of other composing duos -although I would not put them on the same level than Lennon and McCartney, they were one of the memories.
This album, Difford first on his own, and only the third solo album from either one of them combined, not only confirm some of his reputed songwriting talent but offers you the work of a musician who has matured, continued to explore his style, and managed to create a wonderful bunch of songs for our delight.
The biggest difference between Difford and Tilbrook, as far as their solo efforts, is -and I know this will sound quite subjective- that Difford's work seems just as heartfelt and true to his soul as his contributions during the eighties, while Tilbrook's does not. Specially Tilbrook's recent second album strikes me as the work of a very talented musician, no doubt, who relied more on his admirable skill as a songwriter than letting himself be inspired to say new things and delve deeper into whatever he might have experienced since Squeeze's demise.
The songs included here are truly beautiful, the passions of a soft-spoken man who still has music to give us and seems as excited as we may be to find out where it'll take him.
on 12 January 2004
This is a brilliant album. The songs are great ('For a Change' and 'No Show Jones' are classics) and the playing is subtle and tasteful. Francis Dunnery is the star of the show and has a lovely touch and musicality (now that he's stopped 'widdling'). For me the drummer on this album (Ash Soan) is Steely Dan quality. Any drummers should buy this record to hear how to play songs. I'd love to know of any other albums featuring his playing. A slight negative is that some of the female backing vocal lines are a bit corny and get on your nerves after a while. Well done Chris Difford.
on 18 November 2003
I went in as a Squeeze fan not expecting too much. But this is a beautiul record. Wow! While different from any Squeeze record (still amazing songs and lyrics, albeit not nearly as 'poppy'), it holds up to the best of them. Squeeze records had gotten pretty formulaic. This is the new development I'd been seeking -- but didn't necessarily know it -- since Babylon and On (after which the stagnation set in, I think). Great production, background voacals, and guitar from the undervalued Francis Dunnery.
on 4 July 2010
A couple of years ago I downloaded an illegal copy of "Cowboys Are My Weakness" and loved it. When I saw the album containing said track I decided to be a good boy and buy it and it was worth every penny. I think Chris is a bit conscious of his voice and performing abilities, but he is exactly what only Britain can do..... Without sounding too dramatic, discovering albums like this is the reason I live. The musicians seem to know exactly what to do and never over-do a thing and as for that girl backing vocalist - I fell in love. This is one of those albums that takes over your life for a while - you want to play it endlessly, but are afriad to wear out the pleasure..... yeah, I like it.
on 7 February 2011
Wow! This a great album by the lyricist of most Squeeze songs. Chris does not song a lot of the Squeeze songs but this album makes clear that he should do that more often. Great songs and a great voice. Where has Chris the singer been all those years? Buy it, you won't regret.
on 18 October 2012
These songs are extremely well composed and recorded. Yes the female backing might not be everyone's taste but personally I love them. Llama's Fair for me is a real tearjerker and likewise Parents. There are a smattering of pop classics like Cowboys.

My only complaint was when I went to see Chris live in Stirling he stuck mainly to old Squeeze songs.

The man is a musical poet. Love this album.
on 29 January 2016
English treasure. This is a beautifully crafted record. He's not a national treasure JUST yet as CD has much more to offer before any dotage sets in. Real songwriting from a skillful lyricist and deeply under appreciated singer, who's voice make these tunes very alive.
on 4 August 2015
Fabulous music.. You can hear the squeeze days coming through but this had a great stand alone feel to it.
As a fan of Squeeze for a couple of decades and particularly the handful of songs that Chris Difford sang lead on (`Cool for Cats', `Slaughtered, Gutted and Heartbroken' being amongst my favourite Squeeze tracks), I was looking forward to this album being released. I imagined a Squeeze album with Chris singing lead, a consequently I was slightly disappointed.

Possibly moving on from the latter day acoustic Squeeze tours, Chris and producer Francis Dunnery have settled on a lightweight sound that doesn't do Chris' writing or indeed his voice any justice. Chris also seems to have very little confidence in his voice and has buried it behind a stream of harmony and backing singers.

That's not to say the songs are poor, Chris' lyrics are possibly not as great as they had been with Squeeze but they are still painting great stories particularly single `Cowboys Are My Weakness' and the Squeeze break up song `No Show Jones'. Not a great Squeeze album, but since it isn't a Squeeze album that should possibly have not being the surprise it was, but a promising opening to a solo career.